Tire Pressure Sensor Fault

matthewgerber

I just took delivery of a 2010 Edge AWD Ltd with nav. I had it for 5 hours when I received the "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault" warning. 5 Hours!!! The dealership got it from another, and I assume they drove it there as it had 300 miles on it. How can this vehicle fail so soon? I saw the post about Motorolla cables. I have an Iphone connected via USB and a seperate Belkin charger plugged in, but not connected to anything right now. I was driving straight and level at constant spped in 47 degree weather when it alarmed. Now the warning won't go away if either I turn the vehicle off or press the reset button. Anyone else heard about any solutions? Thanks

Hi woliver. :D Sorry to hear about your problem. First, you need to check and adjust the tire pressures to the correct levels (do not assume the dealer did it properly). The correct tire pressure is located on the Manufacturer sticker on the drivers side door jamb. Next, you need to follow the instructions located in the TPMS section of your Owners Manual concerning the TPMS system.

If you still get the TPMS fault light, make an appointment for service. Likely something as simple as a faulty sensor or reprogramming needed.

While it is understandable that you are upset, things happen and it will be taken care of.

Let us know how you make out.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Originally, I had thought the TPMS light would illuminate if the pressure dropped about 4 or 5 psi. Letting you know you ned to add some air. This is just not so. The light will trigger when the pressure drops to around 20 psi !! This is a danger area and I think it should go off sooner than that. I was told this by a Ford tech and he referred to the tpms as an "idiot light" If pressure in your tire is that low as to trigger the light, you may have a leak in the tire. That does suck Woliver, but I am sure the dealer will resolve the issue.

Edited by ThinLine

Hi woliver. :D Sorry to hear about your problem. First, you need to check and adjust the tire pressures to the correct levels (do not assume the dealer did it properly). The correct tire pressure is located on the Manufacturer sticker on the drivers side door jamb. Next, you need to follow the instructions located in the TPMS section of your Owners Manual concerning the TPMS system.

If you still get the TPMS fault light, make an appointment for service. Likely something as simple as a faulty sensor or reprogramming needed.

While it is understandable that you are upset, things happen and it will be taken care of.

Let us know how you make out.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Hi BBF2530, thanks for responding. The tire pressure seems fine. The alarm was not for low tire pressure but for "sensor fault". I called the salesman who sold it to me, and he said he has heard of this. The service dept is closed today (Sunday). I am bringing it in tomorrow morning. I am guessing that either a sensor in a tire failed or it is the main system. Either way, a brand new vehicle shouldn't have a system fail after you have it for 5 hours. I mean, I am in the shop with it 2 days after I bought it. I love my new Edge and did a lot of research before buying. This is a bit of a disappointment.

Originally, I had thought the TPMS light would illuminate if the pressure dropped about 4 or 5 psi. Letting you know you ned to add some air. This is just not so. The light will trigger when the pressure drops to around 20 psi !! This is a danger area and I think it should go off sooner than that. I was told this by a Ford tech and he referred to the tpms as an "idiot light" If pressure in your tire is that low as to trigger the light, you may have a leak in the tire. That does suck Woliver, but I am sure the dealer will resolve the issue.

Hi everyone. I just got back from the dealer. They were very helpful and pleasant. It turned out a tire pressure sensor was out of calibration. I'm not sure why as the vehicle build date was 11/12/09. Regardless, it seems to be fine now. Just have to wait and see if it returns. Good luck and thanks for the responses. :)

• 5 months later...

My '07 Edge did this as long as I owned it. About 30 miles into a road trip it would throw out a tire sensor fault. I always just lived with it, but it was aggravating. I traded it in yesteday on a 2010 Edge.... and 10 miles down the road I got a tire sensor fault. Woliver, I guess I gotcha beat there! I pulled over and of course the tires were all within spec. Its pretty aggrivating, I have to say. The price difference between my '07 and my '10 was considerable, it would be nice if I'd not paid all that money to have the exact same issue.

My '07 Edge did this as long as I owned it. About 30 miles into a road trip it would throw out a tire sensor fault. I always just lived with it, but it was aggravating. I traded it in yesteday on a 2010 Edge.... and 10 miles down the road I got a tire sensor fault. Woliver, I guess I gotcha beat there! I pulled over and of course the tires were all within spec. Its pretty aggrivating, I have to say. The price difference between my '07 and my '10 was considerable, it would be nice if I'd not paid all that money to have the exact same issue.

Did it not occur to you that it was one of your electronic devices causing interference? Especially if it moved with you to the new model.

• 5 months later...

Did it not occur to you that it was one of your electronic devices causing interference? Especially if it moved with you to the new model.

Update...

I used the Ford TPMS reset tool and procedure on my Edge and it turned off the TPMS light that has been on constantly since I bought the car.

And akirby, I had no electronic devices other than my cell phone in the car. Since the TPMS reset tool cured the issue I think its safe to say that wasn't the problem. Poor design and/or poor assembly line calibration are most likely the culprit here.

While not on the subject of a sensor fault, here's what I heard from the dealer about the TPMS itself.

I mentioned to my salesguy the other day that when I finally got around to checking the tire pressure I was pleasantly suprised to find all four were exactly 36 lbs. Door jamb sticker sez 35 for this car. Well, since I'm used to adding exactly one extra pound, it's like they read my mind and added it for me. What suprised me so much was the consistency. I am not usually able to top off one or two tires and have them all be exactly the same pressure. Some are +/- a half pound. These were spot on.

Now to the point. He mentioned that the TPMS is sensitive enough that if any of the five (he included spare) is down by 2 lbs the warning light warns. He said he's seen the warning light on in brand new cars when he's trying to sell 'em, so the sales team specifically mandated the prep team ensure the pressure was correct and consistent. In my case, they did their job. Well.

Your salesman is 100% wrong. Your tires will change by 2psi just driving around or even just sitting in your driveway between morning and afternoon. It would be ridiculous if Ford made their system that sensitive. The TPMS has several criteria it uses to determine when to set off the light and I think those are all mandated by federal law. If any one tire falls below a certain percentage of the recommended pressure or any 2 tires fall below a certain (higher) percentage it will go off. If a tire changes dramatically in a short period of time it will go off. There are a bunch of time and speed functions that go into the calculation as well. But generally if the door says 35psi, the TPMS won't go off until a tire gets down to about 26psi. Last time I had a slow leak it one by the time the light came on and I was able to stop and check the pressure was at 24psi.

Also the spare tire does not have a sensor in it.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I checked them...and then checked them again. What a bummer. We'll see what they say.

I have a 08 Edge and recently my husband checked my tire pressure and all 4 tires were 10 lbs low on air.

how would I know . my Edge is suppose to have this sensor. but apparently is not working very well.

has anyone else had this problems? thanks, Jena

• 5 months later...

Hi all... long time lurker, finally posting.

We've owned a 2007 Edge SEL (everything but the Nav - mostly an around town vehicle, have an iPhone for directions) since March 2007. Ever since taking delivery, we've had an intermittent problem, which I've never seen addressed here. I just received some new info from my dealer, so I thought I'd share!

Seemingly at random, the vehicle would deliver a Tire Pressure Sensor Fault warning. It happened during road trips, it happened around town. Nothing seemed to be amiss with the tires or their pressure. The in-town dealer told us that it was the same as a Low Tire Pressure warning, but I didn't buy it (nor would I have bought anything else from them, especially the Edge!).

We had made our dealer aware of this right away, and it has been looked at by three dealers. No one had an answer, and I never saw a TSB on this.

Thankfully, during scheduled service this week, we were able to deliver the vehicle with the Tire Pressure Sensor Fault active. They connected it the the diagnostic computer, and were able to at least get an error code: B2872/B287A. The Symptom Code Information on this error indicates that certain cell phone chargers or similar devices may interfere with the wireless connection between the tire sensors and the TPM system receiver. They specifically call out model MOTMINIVPC, a Motorola charger. We have a similar charger in the vehicle but rarely have it plugged in. However, we do permanently keep a Belkin plug-in charger with audio-out in the console power point with a mini-stereo cable plugged in to the AUX jack for our iPods and my iPhone.

Ford recommends that the dealer have us provide the charging device and the discharged cell phone so they can perform a road test and try to replicate the issue. Since this struck me and my dealer service manager as silly, we're keeping an eye out for this ourselves. Also, if this is the extent of the problem, I'm just not likely to worry about this issue at all any more. Since most wireless set-ups like this TPM system and plug-in electrical devices are likely to 1) cause interference and 2) are required to accept interference, there's not much I can do about it!

Anyway, this outlines a problem we were having, and a possible explanation. I hope anyone else searching for info on this issue finds this helpful! Drive on!

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi. Help.I own Ford EDGE of 2008 Limited. A week ago I changed wheels with winter for the summer. Before this changeover, for some days I shone a text " tire pressure sensor fault ", pressure was in norm, every other day she went out. I didn't clarify the reason. After changeover of wheels on summer, (in them I beforehand installed new sensors which bought on ebay, original, the seller reported that batteries new), installed on new disks according to the instruction on band. After changeover three days everything was in norm, but for the fourth day the error " tire pressure sensor fault " again shone. Pressure in buses in norm of 2.4 atmospheres. I will be grateful for any councils. Thanks.

post-16857-0-50136700-1429932466_thumb.jpg

post-16857-0-81036800-1429932498_thumb.jpg

post-16857-0-05915000-1429932510_thumb.jpg

post-16857-0-12736700-1429932521_thumb.jpg

post-16857-0-80949100-1429932536_thumb.jpg

post-16857-0-64117100-1429932551_thumb.jpg

post-16857-0-02358500-1429932584_thumb.jpg

Edited by EDST777

Or maybe the vehicle sensor is bad.

Perhaps, but the seller claimed that sensors are checked also the new. Five days after mounting of buses weren't errors.

I bought here http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-SINGLE-1-Ford-OEM-TPMS-SENSOR-BLACK-w-OEM-BAND-/121621904960?hash=item1c513afe40&vxp=mtr , rather reliable seller. It is declared by the seller:

*BRAND NEW* SINGLE (1) Ford OEM TPMS Sensor BLACK with OEM BAND

You're bidding on a *BRAND NEW* SINGLE (1) Ford OEM TPMS Sensor BLACK with Factory BAND. Brand New - Sensor has been tested and guaranteed to work. Factory OEM Mounting Band and Cradle are also included. Sensor Part # - 6F2A-1A176-AE, Band Part # -6L2A-1A177-AC. Please contact your local dealership for the proper application for your vehicle.

Edited by EDST777