DIY Rustproofing , aerosol spray wax type

Several days ago I cleaned and washed over and under our 3 wk old SE . Last night I started with the first 3 cans of spray , completed tonight in less than 2 hrs total time . There are many brands of wax type rustproofing sprays . To do this job fairly well 5-6 cans will do the job . I have been unsatisfied with professional jobs before and have done this on two vehicles with good results for the time and money expended . This is the semi-clear type wax that can be used on surfaces or inside panels .

Supplies needed: 5 to 6 20oz cans of Rusfre , Nuxudol , Inter-Guard or similar type wax rustproofing . Rusfre was $8 per can.

These are all professional quality and come from bodyshop supply stores (see Yellowpages)

use a paint mask of some sort and old clothes

large painting drop cloth

ramps or jack stands

plastic spray nozzle/with extension for can

2 hrs time

use masking tape to attach the sprayer tube(wand) to the nozzle on a couple cans (trust me)

Having the Edge up on a ramp or jack stands makes it a little easier. Spread the drop cloth and start by spraying into the water drain holes on the inside of the bottom of the doors. Spray some towards center and upwards just enough to get it in the bottom seam. Spray (without the wand) the inside bottom of the door seams about 1 inch to 1 1/2 wide. Next do the inside seams of the hood from the many holes ,then the wheel houses and inner front fenders through holes etc . Proceed to the subframe rails holes and the small drain holes along the rocker seams . I was able to use 3 cans doing the doors and inner channels and then used two cans on the underside surfaces and the inner bumper bar steel surfaces. I even had enough to spray the front control arms surfaces and inside cavity areas. For the money expended I think I hit more of the real problem areas than the last "professional " rustproofing I paid for . There are also 4 plugs that you can remove and spray inside areas. One on each rear door lock pillar lower and one on either side of the lift gate (spray downwards towards bottom .Also spray the door hinge mounting surfaces and bolts . I didn't drill any new holes and this type spray is easily cleaned up with thinner or lighter fluid. It is almost clear and doesn't look ugly on the under the hood surfaces but offers great protection for a small investment. I completed the job with 5 cans but got every ounce they contained ,if you got any bad aerosol you might need an extra can.

Edited by BLACK ICE