Horrible smell from vent

dead animal? Ford plant employee left his sandwich in the vent ducting system? :)

I was raised in Iowa.. in the winters, chipmunks and squirrels and such would crawl for warmth into engine bay.. and some never made it back out... which you only found out later ;)

anyway.. just how 'horrible' is 'horrible'? are we talking rotten eggs? like a catalytic converter issue?

• 5 weeks later...
dead animal? Ford plant employee left his sandwich in the vent ducting system? :)

I was raised in Iowa.. in the winters, chipmunks and squirrels and such would crawl for warmth into engine bay.. and some never made it back out... which you only found out later ;)

anyway.. just how 'horrible' is 'horrible'? are we talking rotten eggs? like a catalytic converter issue?

I smell a really bad smell when I start up the car and the vents are open with the fan on. It goes away after just a few seconds. It is only there when I start the car.

I have a 2008 Ford Edge and get a horrible smell when I use only the vent. I have taken it to my dealer and they also notice it but say there are no bulletins or cure for it. I don't notice it when I use AC or heat but only with the vent. Is there a cure for this?

It sounds like another PTU seal problem. Mine seemed to smell worse when the heat was on.

• 1 month later...
I kept having a bad smoke smell in my car after driving past a burning grass fire. I popped the cabin filter out (it was very dirty), washed it out (looks to be made out of fiberglass like an A/C filter), let it dry, sprayed it with some lysol, and put it back in. Smell be gone.

They checked my cabin filter at my dealer. Their parts manager has the same problem with the smell as well and he also has found no cure.

Ford should be ashamed of themselves. TEST THE FRIGGIN VEHICLE AND WORK OUT THE PROBLEMS BEFORE YOU SELL US YOUR JUNK! I also own an import and I frequent their site often and there is NOTHING like this in there. All this crap that is wrong with these vehicles is RIDICULOUS!

WAKE UP FORD!

Edited by stordi

Ford should be ashamed of themselves. TEST THE FRIGGIN VEHICLE AND WORK OUT THE PROBLEMS BEFORE YOU SELL US YOUR JUNK! I also own an import and I frequent their site often and there is NOTHING like this in there. All this crap that is wrong with these vehicles is RIDICULOUS!

WAKE UP FORD!

Edited by stordi

I have a 2008 Ford Edge and get a horrible smell when I use only the vent. I have taken it to my dealer and they also notice it but say there are no bulletins or cure for it. I don't notice it when I use AC or heat but only with the vent. Is there a cure for this?

We encountered a smell with our 2008 Edge and in my research came across this entry:DJ Starr Burning Smell? Dec 8 2007, 06:51 PM. I expressed my concern that Ford Execs needed to issue a recall notice to correct the issue and some one whose log-in name was 07 MKX said that he would take care of it. We found no subsequent recall notice however our local Ford Dealership agreed to replace a part that they advised would correct the issue. Now a year later, the smell has returned. The smell is evident in the engine compartment, but is most noticed when the car comes to a stop and the heat vent is on--I should note that we did not notice the smell in the summer, so the combination of heat and vent and leakage may provide more information for the ultimate correction. The dealership was at first difficult to deal with, and then they eventually scheduled the car for the seal replacement. I am on the verge of re-contacting the dealership again to give them an update and see if they have additional solutions.

• 2 weeks later...
We encountered a smell with our 2008 Edge and in my research came across this entry:DJ Starr Burning Smell? Dec 8 2007, 06:51 PM. I expressed my concern that Ford Execs needed to issue a recall notice to correct the issue and some one whose log-in name was 07 MKX said that he would take care of it. We found no subsequent recall notice however our local Ford Dealership agreed to replace a part that they advised would correct the issue. Now a year later, the smell has returned. The smell is evident in the engine compartment, but is most noticed when the car comes to a stop and the heat vent is on--I should note that we did not notice the smell in the summer, so the combination of heat and vent and leakage may provide more information for the ultimate correction. The dealership was at first difficult to deal with, and then they eventually scheduled the car for the seal replacement. I am on the verge of re-contacting the dealership again to give them an update and see if they have additional solutions.

I am not so happy about my 2008 MKX. I have already had the left axle replaced and now I just had the right side axle seal at the PTU replaced. The smell was putrid. I am extremely disatisfied that this $45,000 vehicle has these problems so early. I have had the vehicle for 6 moths and it has 14,000 miles on it. I tried to help the American economy by switching to a domestic product.

The posts in this forum are scaring me. I had the seal put in today and it sounds like this may not be a permanent fix.

• 5 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My MKX is pretty bad. I have not taken to the dealer yet. Just have those Febreeze air fresheners in every vent. LOL Even though I can see some water dripping when the AC is on I am going to climb under and blow air up the drain. Then I am going to pull the cabin air filter and run the fan full blast while I spray Lysol in it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Are you still experiencing these concerns, old marine and amx?

Let me know and I'll look into possible options on my end.

Todd

Hi Todd,

I have the same issue. It's like a dead mouse smell. I, too, notice it after my vehicle comes to a stop, like at an intersection. Has there been any progress in finding a cause? Like old marine, I have a 2013. Mine's a Limited AWD.

Thanks!

Mark

Edited by PR3LL707

I had a similar "smell" in another car I owned, and after much chasing around, finally found that excessive condensation had pooled in the air conditioning plenum. Over time, it went rank and stunk up the car badly whenever I ran either the air or heat.

The dealer advised that before ripping the entire plenum out of the car, cleaning or replacing it, running the ventilation system on full, bringing in fresh air ... no air conditioning or heat... in order to hopefully dry the system out. I was told this happens a lot when folks run their vent system in recycle, which draws air from within the cabin, puts it through the cooling or heating coils and returns it to the cabin. The problems lies in that the humidity in the air, isn't removed as efficiently as when fresh, outside air is brought in.

I followed through on the suggestion, the smell eventually went away and it hasn't returned. Now, I never put my system on recycle...

Just a thought...

• Like 2