Variable valve timing problems

ottawaedge

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem-

My 2008 Edge Ltd. AWD with 8,000 kms. began running rough and stalling followed by the check engine light coming on. Dealer checked the codes and after consulting with the tech line they were advised problem was in the variable valve timing. They had to remove the front engine cover and replace a cam phaser, pulley and solenoid. Total warranty time for job 20 hours!

After picking up the car it now makes a LOUD whining noise from front of engine until the engine warms up at which point noise goes away.-Dealer is now waiting for more parts to come in and will then repeat the teardown. -Troubling to say the least considering vehicle is only 6 month old with such low mileage. I would be interested to know if this is a fluke or a known issue with these engines?

My 2008 Edge Ltd. AWD with 8,000 kms. began running rough and stalling followed by the check engine light coming on. Dealer checked the codes and after consulting with the tech line they were advised problem was in the variable valve timing. They had to remove the front engine cover and replace a cam phaser, pulley and solenoid. Total warranty time for job 20 hours!

After picking up the car it now makes a LOUD whining noise from front of engine until the engine warms up at which point noise goes away.-Dealer is now waiting for more parts to come in and will then repeat the teardown. -Troubling to say the least considering vehicle is only 6 month old with such low mileage. I would be interested to know if this is a fluke or a known issue with these engines?

Hi ottawaedge. :D It is an unfortunate fluke, which you had the bad luck of experiencing. It is not a common problem.

I hope they fix it correctly and completely this time.

Good luck. :beerchug:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Hi ottawaedge. :D It is an unfortunate fluke, which you had the bad luck of experiencing. It is not a common problem.

I hope they fix it correctly and completely this time.

Good luck. :beerchug:

May not be a common problem, but I will report at least another instance. My significant other's 2007 with 13,000 miles. Same symptoms, rough idle, check engine light on. It is in for the thrid time now. First time replace 1 bank's control solenoid. Same problem re-occurred in days, dealer claimed code results have right bank & left bank mixed up, so on second visit they installed control solenoid in opposite bank & cleaned a ground connection. Also said more parts need to be ordered. Car ran fine for 2-3 weeks & same problem occurred. Car went in for the parts that were ordered, dealer claims he is in touch with Ford tech line. That tells me big $$$ repair will occurr. My honey is pissed. She expects cars to run like a refrigerator. She's right.

• 2 months later...
May not be a common problem, but I will report at least another instance. My significant other's 2007 with 13,000 miles. Same symptoms, rough idle, check engine light on. It is in for the thrid time now. First time replace 1 bank's control solenoid. Same problem re-occurred in days, dealer claimed code results have right bank & left bank mixed up, so on second visit they installed control solenoid in opposite bank & cleaned a ground connection. Also said more parts need to be ordered. Car ran fine for 2-3 weeks & same problem occurred. Car went in for the parts that were ordered, dealer claims he is in touch with Ford tech line. That tells me big $$$ repair will occurr. My honey is pissed. She expects cars to run like a refrigerator. She's right.

Looks like this problem is still not resolved, Ford is scratching for a fix, and more of the entire population of Edges may be affected. At 13 K, Ford went into the engine, replacing all the variable cam timing hardware. At 15K, the proble is back along with a whirling noise when the car is cold. The dealership is in contact with the Ford help line, which claims some new designed part is on the way. My honey talked about the lemon law, but the service manager said this problem may effect all vehicles. Sorry I can't be more specific on the parts already changed & the new parts on the way. She has all the paperwork at her place, and I never talked to the service manager. I told her, one more chance to fix this issue, and then she should start thinking "buy back". We'll see. Later, FJK

They need to replace the camshaft position sensor and possibly the exhaust control valve solenoid.. I had the same issues, running rough and jerky idle with foot on brake. Is your car color blazing copper by any chance ? They have 3 now at my local dealership with same issues......all blazing copper :o Someone else on hhere has same issues.....also coppper !

Edited by MustangMike

They need to replace the camshaft position sensor and possibly the exhaust control valve solenoid.. I had the same issues, running rough and jerky idle with foot on brake. Is your car color blazing copper by any chance ? They have 3 now at my local dealership with same issues......all blazing copper :o Someone else on hhere has same issues.....also coppper !

No, it is not copper, it is some type of green which everyone thinks is grey. Anyhow, Mike, what was you mileage at time of fix & how many miles have you run since the fix. I want to believe there is hope.

• 2 months later...

I am having the exact same problem with my 2007. I took it in for service and they replaced the solenoid sensor as well. 3 days later, the light came on again and it idling rough. I was on vacation when this happened and found out the it was also leaking oil. However, that was the previous dealers fault. It has been at the same dealer for a week and a half and they still don't know what's wrong with it. The replaced another sensor (since oil was leaking on it) and it still had the rough idle. They called the Ford hotline and were told to replace the Cam Phaser. They took the whole front end of the engine apart to replace those. Put it all back together, same two codes come up and rough idle. I was told yesterday by the service advisor, they called the Ford Hotline again and they were told to check and possibly replace one or all of the timing chains. She also told me that mine isn't the only fish in the sea, and they are finding more and more edge's with this problem. Once they figure it out, I will let everyone what they say!

• 1 month later...

That is not normal man! The car is only 6 months old and it is already encountering those kinda of problems. i think the dealer should replace the entire car man. Just a tip when buying cars. Check each and every part of the car, especially the engine parts. Check even the smallest detail like the bolts for example. Check if there is no missing Differential Cover Bolt. Sometimes when the differential cover looses its bolts, noise builds up when stepping at the gas.

Edited by Brandon Paul

That is not normal man! The car is only 6 months old and it is already encountering those kinda of problems. i think the dealer should replace the entire car man. Just a tip when buying cars. Check each and every part of the car, especially the engine parts. Check even the smallest detail like the bolts for example. Check if there is no missing Differential Cover Bolt. Sometimes when the differential cover looses its bolts, noise builds up when stepping at the gas.

A missing cover bolt will not cause a noise, unless the diff lost all of its fluid, but a missing bolt is not going to cause you to loose all your fluid.

Sherm876- How did this turn out?? I started having the exact same issues with my 2007 Edge three weeks ago- rough idle and engine light, Dealer replaced solenoid sensor. 3 days later the engine light is back on and rough idle has returned- Dealer has now had it for two days- with no end in sight...

I have 22K miles on the car- I really like it and hope to drive it for years to come. I am concerned that Ford doesn't seem to know how to fix this issue-

By the way- mine is Blazing Copper- hard to believe that there might be a connection between color and this problem.

I am having the exact same problem with my 2007. I took it in for service and they replaced the solenoid sensor as well. 3 days later, the light came on again and it idling rough. I was on vacation when this happened and found out the it was also leaking oil. However, that was the previous dealers fault. It has been at the same dealer for a week and a half and they still don't know what's wrong with it. The replaced another sensor (since oil was leaking on it) and it still had the rough idle. They called the Ford hotline and were told to replace the Cam Phaser. They took the whole front end of the engine apart to replace those. Put it all back together, same two codes come up and rough idle. I was told yesterday by the service advisor, they called the Ford Hotline again and they were told to check and possibly replace one or all of the timing chains. She also told me that mine isn't the only fish in the sea, and they are finding more and more edge's with this problem. Once they figure it out, I will let everyone what they say!

• 1 month later...

I think I also have the same issue or at least a related issue. My 2007 Edge check engine light came on. Code P0018, "Cam/Crankshaft position sensor A-bank 2". The first time I took it to the dealer they said that there was nothing that they could find wrong and they reset the code. It came back two weeks later. Now it has been in the shop for 3 days and they were on the phone all afternoon with Ford. They are vague about what is wrong. They are awaiting parts and will start work on it next week. They say it will be about a day and a half of work and that the engine must be torn down. Also at about the same time the check engine light came on, the engine started to emit a grinding sound right after it starts but only the first thing in the morning, never later in the day on subsequent starts. I am understandably unhappy about such a major repair to my Edge. I am very meticulous about my car and for what I paid for it, I expect better. At first the dealer sait it was not covered under warranty (at 42,000 miles) but they now say it may be covered by the drive train warranty. I am less than sure that it will be a covered repair. My reading of the warranty leaves me also less than convinced that it is covered. After buying 4 new Fords in 5 years, this could end my relationship with them if this issue is not resolved and at no cost to me.

Stay tuned for how this thing turns out.

Regards,

Aubreypage

If it is any consolation my Edge has performed flawlessly since the repair was performed. The technician said that on this engine the oil passages in the variable valve timing system are extremely small and all it takes is a tiny piece of debris to clog the passage and the valve timing goes wonky and you get a check engine light. The loud noise you have may be the water pump. After performing the initial repair I had a similar noise when engine was cold and the dealer had to go back in and replace the water pump.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the saga continues with my 2007 Edge. It was in the shop for 2 ½ weeks and I went to pick it up today. They handed me the keys, I started the engine and noticed that the check engine light was on. I shut it off and handed the keys back. They have replaced 2 camshaft sprockets, two camshaft position sensors and a engine variable timing solenoid. It has taken as I said 2 ½ weeks and the same error code (Cam/Crankshaft position sensor ) is still coming up only now they say it is the opposite side. The dealer says they replaced all components on both sides so they are stumped. The dealer was on the phone to Ford engineering and I left it with them.

I really like my Edge but I am now concerned that it will never be right.

Stay tuned for more,

AubreyPage

Well the saga continues with my 2007 Edge. It was in the shop for 2 ½ weeks and I went to pick it up today. They handed me the keys, I started the engine and noticed that the check engine light was on. I shut it off and handed the keys back. They have replaced 2 camshaft sprockets, two camshaft position sensors and a engine variable timing solenoid. It has taken as I said 2 ½ weeks and the same error code (Cam/Crankshaft position sensor ) is still coming up only now they say it is the opposite side. The dealer says they replaced all components on both sides so they are stumped. The dealer was on the phone to Ford engineering and I left it with them.

I really like my Edge but I am now concerned that it will never be right.

Stay tuned for more,

AubreyPage

Could be a PCM (computer) problem. You might also consider a new dealer - it's possible they're not diagnosing it correctly.

• 1 month later...

The above problem is common with Ford. And when I say "above" I mean Ford getting something wrong with the first two years a new car (and engine) is in production they have not worked out all the kinks. For example; my 95 Mustang was a 2nd year production. It wasnt until 4 years after the 1994-1995 3.8 L engine was out until they (Ford) relized that EVERY single 1994-1995 3.8L Mustang has had the head gaskets installed backwards. My headgaskets finally blew with 140,000 miles on them. Im glad I waited until 2010 to buy my Esge as they should have worked out any problems by now. But to you that are having a problem now, just be glad its under warrenty as my car wasnt covered because Ford didnt have the same warrenty plans they do now and its costing me around 3,000 to have my car fixed. But Ford isnt the only one with these types of problems. Almost every car manufactuor has these problems with cars.

Matthew

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am having these same issues with my 2008 Ford Edge. I talked to the Ford Representative for the southeast region today, and she told me that they do not sit around a blog to find issues on these vehicles that if I knew of anyone having these same problems to have the call the for 800 number. Which I am getting nothing but the run around on my vehilce. In fact today the Service department mgr told me if I could not duplicate my problem with them or if there wasn't a engine or some kind of light on in the car not to bring it back to the dealorship. I have tried to get Ford to replace my car and they will not. I am at my wits end with this problem. I am just glad to know I am not the only one. So Please start contacting the ford customer care number so we can get this issue fixed.

Thanks!

Telephone

800-392-3673

800-232-5952 (TDD for the Hearing Impaired)

Available 8:00a.m.-5:00p.m. Local Time Monday-Friday

Mailing Address

Ford Motor Company

Customer Relationship Center

P.O. Box 6248

Dearborn, MI 48126

• 4 months later...

I just picked up my 2008 Ford Edge AWD (in Blazing Copper btw) from the dealership again. I bought it used last year with just under 20,000 miles on it. I've loved it so far and had not had any issues until about three weeks ago after I had the 35000 service. After the service, I noticed that the engine started running rough. I also had an issue where I was at a stop light and about to turn right when I hit the gas pedal nothing happened for about 5 seconds. Since then it has continued to run rough and on Tuesday stalled out at a stop light. It stalled out at a stop sign yesterday and last night when I went to turn left at the same stop sign my car moved just enough to put me in the path of oncoming traffic! Needless to say I'm worried.

I asked the service manager at the dealership today if it was safe to drive since they had to order the parts and cannot work on it until next Tuesday. He said it is only going to get worse. I asked if they had a loaner since the car is still under powertrain warranty and he said no, but that I can get an Enterprise discount. I followed up with the Ford hotline on the off chance that they might have something different to say - but no. I'm off to Enterprise tomorrow, but this seems like a big possible liability for Ford - especially what I experienced with the delayed response to acceleration.

I just hope they can fix it because I really do love my Edge!

• 5 weeks later...

Sounds similar to the problem we have - also on very low mileage (450 km) and within the first two weeks of ownership. In our case, they ruled out the cam position sensor and solenoid and intend to change the entire cylinder head (we had cited the TSB for the 2007-2009 models but they dismissed this as being rectified on the 2010 models... oh really?). The rough idle, in our case, is attributable to the entire right bank misfiring below 1500 rpm. Per the technician, there is no contribition at all from this bank in the lower engine rpm's. Part of the problem we're having, and probably why there seems to be sporadic reportings of similar issues, is the fact that they really don't understand why. The only thing that seems consistent in the diagnosis is a problem with the variable valve train. Luck of the draw I guess.

• 2 months later...

I am having the same problem, engine running rough, check engine light came on. 2008 Edge. 16,000 miles. The car has been in the dealer for 7 days. The top end of the engine is torn down, got to see it today when I went to the dealer to get some belongings out of the car. Dealer is waiting for redesigned parts. Variable valve timing is the problem, a number of sensors including oil pressure must be replaced. Dealer tells that I am number 7 to recently have the problem. I called Dearborn and asked Customer Service if this is an epidemic problem, are there any campaigns on this? Answer was no. I explained I am very concerned that a car in it's 2nd year of warranty with only 16K miles on it is having this kind of major problem and it appears that a number of other owners are as well. Just getting hte car back tio the dealer for service presented a drivability/safety challenge since the car was quite sluggish.

My concern is that this happens again in another 16k miles after the car is out of warranty. Hey Ford if you are watching this blog, may I suggest you get a service campaign going on this before someone has a real problem due to compromised performance trying to get their Edge to the dealer when the auto valve timing is malfunctioning.

Good point, the drivetrain is 5/60K. Must have been thinking of the bumper to bumper.

Now at 10 days and counting since the car was put into dealer service. Parts arrived today and I expect that the car will be ready by day twelve or thirteen. Two weeks is a long time for one of "Ward's 10 Best Engine's" to take to repair because of parts availability. What's with that, can anyone explain why it has taken Ford 10 days to ship these repair parts, I will get an inventory of what parts where used to repair this 3.5L Twin independent Variable Cam Timing DuraTec 3.5L engine. I have some experience in logistics and this sounds indicative of a low TSL and a company trying to catch up on unanticpated field failures. I have been told by the service manager that the parts are in low supply due to the fact that there are a number of similiar failures and a parts order backlog. Right now I just want to see the problem fixed, without recurrence or additional problems. However this raises some red flags about the service experience with the car. Will see how it goes and update.

• 3 weeks later...

I just checked in to see how this variable valve timing deal was going. My last post was March 09 & my honey's 07 Edge had 15K miles & was in for repair. Happy to report vehicle now has 30K miles & problem has not reoccurred. I'm surprised to see folks still having problems getting the parts to repair this problem. I work in this industry & when parts availability problem occurrs, it can be connected with reasons such as, supplying production first, supplier quality issues, change of supplier, etc. It looks to me that 07 & 08 MY's are mostly affected, based upon this post. Hopefully the root cause of the problem (probably design related) is solved & now it is issue of filling up the parts pipeline with quality parts.

• 4 weeks later...

I just purchased a used 07 edge awd with 26k miles. I drove it for two weeks and then experienced the same problems mentioned and the dealer diagnosed it as a bad PCM. The new PCM took 4 weeks to get and two days after we picked it up we are having the same problems!!!

Same issue here with our 2007 Ford Edge. Dealer told it was the PCM. We waited 2 weeks for a new PCM. Neither Ford NOR the dealer would provide a rental car so we had to pay out of pocket for 2 weeks. Picked up the car yesterday and it failed going up a hill today! Towed back to the dealer. They think it's a bad PCM again?!?! All I know is I gave Ford another chance and they blew it...never again will I buy a Ford. The cars are garbage and the company doesn't care. Great advertisements though! )-: