Drivers door lock

Hello all

I have a 2007 SEL Plus and for some reason when the temps are in the freezing range the drivers door will not unlock. Other doors work fine. If I open the door just as I click the remote I can open it providing the door lock stem hasn't retracted yet. When the weather warms up everything is fine. Happened a couple of times last year but becoming much worse. Would like to know if it is an easy fix or do I need to make an appointment with the dealer

Thanks

• 2 months later...

I have the problem on my 09 SEL. Passenger front door cycles open/closed or does it multiple times in succession. Only notice it during cold weather.

There is a similar thread about this problem with Honda Vans. Blame is being put on cheap/faulty door lock actuators.

What was the service bulleting number?

Also, what the heck does drilling out a hole do to correct this problem ? Can't visualize a link between the issue and drilling.

Also, what the heck does drilling out a hole do to correct this problem ? Can't visualize a link between the issue and drilling.

I'm thinking that water is building up in the door itself. On warmer days I can smell the stale water / mildew. I'll find out next month when my vehicle goes in for service

• 1 month later...

Took the Edge in TWICE since it was not convenient to leave it overnight so they can try to open it when its cold. They could not recreate the problem when it was in the shop (hey, its warm in there). Bottom line is they said they won't change out the lock actuator without recreating the problem.

Just had another cold spell and the lock is sounding like a machine gun. I am going to wait it out until the nice weather hits and then see what happens. I get the feeling the tech didn't even try to look for any service bulletins on a 2008 with door lock problems

This and a new brake squeal problem are starting to change my opinion about Fords back to what it used to be (not good !). I want to give Ford the benefit of the doubt especially how they have been handling this whole bail out mess but past experience has caused me to be even more critical of Ford products. Not really fair but its my reality.

Took the Edge in TWICE since it was not convenient to leave it overnight so they can try to open it when its cold. They could not recreate the problem when it was in the shop (hey, its warm in there). Bottom line is they said they won't change out the lock actuator without recreating the problem.

Just had another cold spell and the lock is sounding like a machine gun. I am going to wait it out until the nice weather hits and then see what happens. I get the feeling the tech didn't even try to look for any service bulletins on a 2008 with door lock problems

This and a new brake squeal problem are starting to change my opinion about Fords back to what it used to be (not good !). I want to give Ford the benefit of the doubt especially how they have been handling this whole bail out mess but past experience has caused me to be even more critical of Ford products. Not really fair but its my reality.

The sound the door lock is making is exactly like mine. Taking it in next week and will let you know how I make out. (it will be warm but I have confidence in my dealer) :wacko:

Edited by tpm419419

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Had my Edge serviced on Tuesday. They replaced the rod mech. that goes to the door lock assembly stating that was the cause. I'll let you know next winter.

So did this fix the problem? My passenger door is back to its old games now that the cold weather is here. I have to lean over to open it with the pull handle as neither the fob or lock switch manage to make the front passenger lock stop in the up/open position.

I just don't see it as being worth the effort to leave at the dealer overnight (and likely most of the next day) for one crappy lock. I am getting rid of the car next year and that will be the end of the problem.

The Edge is off our fleet vehicle list so that will be all for me.

So did this fix the problem? My passenger door is back to its old games now that the cold weather is here. I have to lean over to open it with the pull handle as neither the fob or lock switch manage to make the front passenger lock stop in the up/open position.

I just don't see it as being worth the effort to leave at the dealer overnight (and likely most of the next day) for one crappy lock. I am getting rid of the car next year and that will be the end of the problem.

The Edge is off our fleet vehicle list so that will be all for me.

This only happens in freezing temps. I will know shortly. I'm certainly hoping it's fixed

• 4 weeks later...
Hello all

I have a 2007 SEL Plus and for some reason when the temps are in the freezing range the drivers door will not unlock. Other doors work fine. If I open the door just as I click the remote I can open it providing the door lock stem hasn't retracted yet. When the weather warms up everything is fine. Happened a couple of times last year but becoming much worse. Would like to know if it is an easy fix or do I need to make an appointment with the dealer

Thanks

Hello guy, If I'm not mistaken, I have the same problem as you do. I had posted this last 25 of Sept.2009, and got some advises from the experts. I send it to the work shop and made complaint. They said, need only to lubricate the catch/mechanism. After the service and up to now, never happen again. So, when you send it for service ask them to lubricate.

Hello guy, If I'm not mistaken, I have the same problem as you do. I had posted this last 25 of Sept.2009, and got some advises from the experts. I send it to the work shop and made complaint. They said, need only to lubricate the catch/mechanism. After the service and up to now, never happen again. So, when you send it for service ask them to lubricate.

When I had mine repaired they said the "arm" was defective and they replaced it. Whatever they did it seems to be good now

When I had mine repaired they said the "arm" was defective and they replaced it. Whatever they did it seems to be good now

Okay, at least it is working fine now, did you experience or heard any sound during turning slowly on a curve road, like the sound of a stones inside the can!! I reported this also to the dealer/workshop and came back to me that nothing was found. It iritates me me when I heard that clang sound.

Okay, at least it is working fine now, did you experience or heard any sound during turning slowly on a curve road, like the sound of a stones inside the can!! I reported this also to the dealer/workshop and came back to me that nothing was found. It iritates me me when I heard that clang sound.

I do not remember hearing anything. Sorry

• 1 month later...

Okay, our fleet guys just got f'ing hosed by the Ford dealer. thank god it was not my money or I would be livid.

The lock was really acting up with the recent cold snap and the back door was starting the same routine but on a really intermitent basis.

Left it at the dealer Sunday night so they could "recreate" the problem. Got a call Monday morning saying, yup there is a problem and parts will be in the next day. I needed the wheels so I arranged to take it back Friday. As it is a fleet vehicle and I thought it was a problem with the actuator I didnt' ask any questions.

Picked it up at noon on Friday and almost had a kitten when I saw the bill.

1 hour labour for diagnosis (Likely consisted of some one pushing the remote and seeing it rapid fire cycle open/closed)

2.8 hours labour for EACH door to replace the full lock assembly

2 complete lock assemblies

2 zip ties (@ 6 cents each !)

Total bill 1150.00 Cdn

As it is a fleet vehicle with 85,000 km on it I guess there is no warranty or the lock is not covered. I have a call in to our fleet maintenance guys about this.

I can't describe how pissed I am at the dealer and or Ford. The car is an 08 and I have had over a 1000.00 in brakes and a 1150 in lock repairs. I like the Edge but I can tell you I will not be buying a Ford personally based on what this one has cost the company. That Quality is Job One slogan keeps running through my mind. I was really rooting for Ford out of all the big three but now it seems the only difference is they didn't take any bail out money.

Okay, our fleet guys just got f'ing hosed by the Ford dealer. thank god it was not my money or I would be livid.

The lock was really acting up with the recent cold snap and the back door was starting the same routine but on a really intermitent basis.

Left it at the dealer Sunday night so they could "recreate" the problem. Got a call Monday morning saying, yup there is a problem and parts will be in the next day. I needed the wheels so I arranged to take it back Friday. As it is a fleet vehicle and I thought it was a problem with the actuator I didnt' ask any questions.

Picked it up at noon on Friday and almost had a kitten when I saw the bill.

1 hour labour for diagnosis (Likely consisted of some one pushing the remote and seeing it rapid fire cycle open/closed)

2.8 hours labour for EACH door to replace the full lock assembly

2 complete lock assemblies

2 zip ties (@ 6 cents each !)

Total bill 1150.00 Cdn

As it is a fleet vehicle with 85,000 km on it I guess there is no warranty or the lock is not covered. I have a call in to our fleet maintenance guys about this.

I can't describe how pissed I am at the dealer and or Ford. The car is an 08 and I have had over a 1000.00 in brakes and a 1150 in lock repairs. I like the Edge but I can tell you I will not be buying a Ford personally based on what this one has cost the company. That Quality is Job One slogan keeps running through my mind. I was really rooting for Ford out of all the big three but now it seems the only difference is they didn't take any bail out money.

Sounds like they took advantage. Only my drivers door was problematic. As I said earlier they replaced the rod assembly and has been fine ever since :)

• 9 months later...

I realize this is an old thread but we just started having this problem with the drivers door lock on our 2008. The drivers door lock chatters when its cold in the morning. I see several fixes for it here (drilling out hole in door panel, changing actuator, changing actuator rod, lubricating assembly) and mention of a TSB (which the dealer of course couldn't find when my wife brought the car in).

Does anyone have the TSB we can refer to? I don't have a problem fixing it myself either (if it is cheaper than our $100 ext warranty deductible) if I know what I need to go after.

Any new information on this?

Thanks,

John