Touchless car washing

Just wondering what everybody thinks about touchless car washing? I have a great place near my house that offers unlimited touchless car washes for $150.00 for 90 days. Before I pull the trigger I was wondering if there is any risks with washing my car 3 or 4 times a week? It's slushy and snowy here in Toronto and a good clean Black 08 edge in the winter months is almost impossible.

What does everybody think? Getting that road salt is must?

Thanks,

YYZEDGE

Just wondering what everybody thinks about touchless car washing? I have a great place near my house that offers unlimited touchless car washes for $150.00 for 90 days. Before I pull the trigger I was wondering if there is any risks with washing my car 3 or 4 times a week? It's slushy and snowy here in Toronto and a good clean Black 08 edge in the winter months is almost impossible.

What does everybody think? Getting that road salt is must?

Thanks,

YYZEDGE

waste of money

my concern with those places is 2 fold

1. people in a hurry drying the car off - near me, even touchless still has a final rag dry after the air blow - and doing final rub downs bump, nick, hit car and sit in the interior with stuff in their pockets. 1 guy put a hole in a leather seat of mine once when we forgot something in his back pocket

2. when they use those rags, I know they are 'suppose' to be clean and from the 'new' pile, but many times I have watched them stretch a rag use from 1 car to another.. so a really dirty car make get crud on the rag that passes to your nice finish when they start to dry

my concern with those places is 2 fold

1. people in a hurry drying the car off - near me, even touchless still has a final rag dry after the air blow - and doing final rub downs bump, nick, hit car and sit in the interior with stuff in their pockets. 1 guy put a hole in a leather seat of mine once when we forgot something in his back pocket

2. when they use those rags, I know they are 'suppose' to be clean and from the 'new' pile, but many times I have watched them stretch a rag use from 1 car to another.. so a really dirty car make get crud on the rag that passes to your nice finish when they start to dry

In addition to the above, I've read that the chemicals used really do a job on the paint.

Something to remember.....There is only one person who cares about your vehicle as much as you do.........its you! The best care your car will ever get is the care you give it.

Give someone $20 to clean your car and you will get a $20 wash. Make that same wash cost $500+ a month (ie., car payment), and a little more care will probably be taken. ;)

I dont see any problem with washing the car yourself as much as you want. Just remember to use quality products and apply a surface protectant after washing to protect the finish. I use products from www.obsessivedetail.com and the results speak for themselves. The owner's name is Justin and he is a great guy. He will answer any question you may have regarding detailing and has always thrown in some "extras" with each order I have made.

Edited by F4iMerlin

I've never seen a 'touchless' car wash that could throughly clean the car. It may knock off the big chunks, but you're left with a film on everything that just won't come off without physical scrubbing. It's especially visible on chrome.

I agree with everyone else that if you want to maintain the finish in top condition, do it yourself. No car wash is going to be as good to your car as you would. That said, when it's around 30 degrees out I'm not going to be scrubbing anything in my driveway, and I think keeping the salt and grime off is important, too.