Shifter Stuck in Park!

jabs1134

Lately Iv'e been noticing a new issue with my 08 edge. When I start the car and go to shift out of Park, it won't let me. It's like there's a lock on it. I have the brake depressed all the way down. I have to keep pressing the shift lever and eventually it will free up and I can shift out of Park. Is anyone else having or had this issue. I only have 10000 mls. I'm waiting to see if anyone else has or is having the issue before I call my dealer because I know I'll just get the run-a-round or the old "We were not able to replicate the problem, we cannot help you...goodbye". Thanks

Lately Iv'e been noticing a new issue with my 08 edge. When I start the car and go to shift out of Park, it won't let me. It's like there's a lock on it. I have the brake depressed all the way down. I have to keep pressing the shift lever and eventually it will free up and I can shift out of Park. Is anyone else having or had this issue. I only have 10000 mls. I'm waiting to see if anyone else has or is having the issue before I call my dealer because I know I'll just get the run-a-round or the old "We were not able to replicate the problem, we cannot help you...goodbye". Thanks

Take careful notes about when the problem happens.

Only happens first time you start it in the morning, outside temperature.

Only happens when it's been driven several miles.

Only happens when parked on a hill, uphill downhill.

Doesn't happen when you push the brake then release then reapply the brake.

etc.

Have you run over ANYthing? You might want to get under there and look.

Trust me anytime you tell the service writer that "It will not shift out of park at times when it really only happen when it's been driven will result in "Can't duplicate problem"

Good luck

ab

This will happen if you park the vehicle on an incline and allow the transmission parking pawl to fully engage to stop it from rolling. It puts pressure on the pawl and it's hard to get it out. To avoid this engage the parking brake before removing your foot from the regular brake.

If you're already doing this or it occurs on flat surfaces then it's probably the brake interlock as stated.

• 6 years later...