ABS & Traction Control Warning Lamps | 07 Edge

Chummy

In the last week or two, the warning lamps for ABS & Traction Control have been lighting on our 2007 Edge SEL equipped with AWD. It's the snow season in these parts, and the timing is tough.

Stepping on the brake pedal when starting I've noticed it will now often feel as if stepping on a brick, not the otherwise more typical controlled give. The lamps will fire normally during the start-up sequence and will either: a) remain lit during all motoring; b ) extinguish after ABS kicks in during braking on a slippery stretch of pavement; or c) remain lit for a period, then go off for a period, then return. I've found that after the ABS work successfully and the lamps extinguish that all I must do to extinguish the "wrench" icon lamp is to shift (at stop) momentarily into neutral.

Yesterday the ABS was activating even on dry pavement when the lamps were lit.

I phoned the dealer to arrange service, and they indicated this could be related to a faulty rear wheel speed sensor. They noted there were three other Edges in their shop while we spoke. I located on this site a TSB for similar symptoms, but it identifies FWD Edges.

Have any of the other Edge motorists on this forum experienced a similar problem as to what I'm describing? What was your experience with same?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Chummy

• 2 weeks later...
In the last week or two, the warning lamps for ABS & Traction Control have been lighting on our 2007 Edge SEL equipped with AWD. It's the snow season in these parts, and the timing is tough.

Stepping on the brake pedal when starting I've noticed it will now often feel as if stepping on a brick, not the otherwise more typical controlled give. The lamps will fire normally during the start-up sequence and will either: a) remain lit during all motoring; b ) extinguish after ABS kicks in during braking on a slippery stretch of pavement; or c) remain lit for a period, then go off for a period, then return. I've found that after the ABS work successfully and the lamps extinguish that all I must do to extinguish the "wrench" icon lamp is to shift (at stop) momentarily into neutral.

Yesterday the ABS was activating even on dry pavement when the lamps were lit.

I phoned the dealer to arrange service, and they indicated this could be related to a faulty rear wheel speed sensor. They noted there were three other Edges in their shop while we spoke. I located on this site a TSB for similar symptoms, but it identifies FWD Edges.

Have any of the other Edge motorists on this forum experienced a similar problem as to what I'm describing? What was your experience with same?

Thanks in advance!

I have the exact same problem. The three lights come on, all at the same time, randomly.

How did you get the issue fixed, what did the dealer say?

Paul

I have the exact same problem. The three lights come on, all at the same time, randomly.

How did you get the issue fixed, what did the dealer say?

Paul

It wound up being a speed sensor, the cost roughly $68 for diagnostics, $37 for the part, all covered by warranty. Our dealer also provided us with a loaner at no cost to us while our Edge was in the shop.

Hope you enjoy a similar experience, Paul!

• 2 months later...
Is this a quick repair? It's still under warranty.

Hi rhino. :D Yes, relatively common problem in all makes and models of vehicles. Well, not common, but it does happen. Easy fix. Take it in for service.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

I've had this happen to me twice now. Vehicle was purchased in March 08. In August the traction control light came on in the middle of a dry highway, doing 100km/hr. In 10 seconds or less it the started blinking, phased the brakes like ABS, at different speeds, shimmying the vehicle, and brought the vehicle down to less than 60km/hr. The light then remained on at all times when driving. Took it to the local dealer when we got home, and it took a few weeks for them to fix the problem, a faulty stability control system computer.

Then, last week, the light came on again by itself, and has remained on. It's now currently in the shop as I type, and I've been told they are calling a Ford Engineer to see what's happened.

Not Impressed.

My wife tooks ours to the dealer yesterday and the service tech wanted her to bring it back when the traction control light came back on. Who knows what time of day that would happen. A couple minutes later another service tech came out and said he was on the phone with Ford and they told him to replace the ABS sensor, which of course wasn't in stock. so we'll see if this fixes the problem.

But it seems like this is not an isolated problem. Ford needs to step up. :finger:

Edited by rhino260

• 2 weeks later...

They changed the brake switch, tech took it for a test ride, everything seemed fine. we got in the car to leave, started the car and the light came on. Now I'm driving a Fusion till they can figure it out.

We were going to do our first road trip in it to Philly this weekend.

Dealer just called and said your edge is fixed. As first they thought it was in the shifter because you could put it in gear without depressing the brake pedal. They replaced the whole shifter unit, that didn't fix it. The tech found a loose fuse socket in a junction box that was tripping the traction control light to come on. We'll see if this is the fix or not.

I thought they had it fixed? It lasted a week. I had to run an to the store last night, came home to get my son for scouts, started the car and the traction light was on and so was the overdrive light. Also I couldn't get it out of park. Had it towed to the dealer. They said that where the harness connects to the fuse box is bad. So that are replacing the fuse box and harness, it will take about a week to repair. Needles to say my wife is pissed.

• 5 years later...

It wound up being a speed sensor, the cost roughly $68 for diagnostics, $37 for the part, all covered by warranty. Our dealer also provided us with a loaner at no cost to us while our Edge was in the shop.

Hope you enjoy a similar experience, Paul!

Just had this done at Terrace Ford in Burlington, Ontario cost was $216 for labour and $67.25 for the part. My backside hurts a little more now that I read your post. Seems like there is a big variance in how repairs are charged.

I would have loved to enjoy a similar experience, Steve

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2019 at 6:57 PM, punman said:

Little late to this topic but I have the same problem.  From what I have seen on Youtube, replacing the wheel speed sensors is not a difficult DIY job.  My car is no longer under warranty so I may do this myself.  

I've done some pretty major repairs to my F150, Mustang, my Boat and our Edge using 'YouTube' videos. I tell my wife, 'if there is a YouTube video on how to fix or do something, I'll be able to do it'  :)