POWER LIFTGATE PROBLEM

NEW2EDGE

I am curious to know if anyone else has had this problem with the power liftgate on their Edge.

Recently the liftgate has been reversing on its own, it opens all the way (chiming away) and a couple of seconds after opening starts reversing and closes. At first I thought something might be pushing against the hatch control button in the cargo area or on my key, but I ruled that.

Its a 2008 Edge Limited AWD and this is the first problem we have had since taking delivery last Sept.

I'm hoping its something minor, but till I get it into the dealer I'm being extra careful leaning into the back of the Edge.

Any info or feeed back would be great.

Thanks

I am curious to know if anyone else has had this problem with the power liftgate on their Edge.

Recently the liftgate has been reversing on its own, it opens all the way (chiming away) and a couple of seconds after opening starts reversing and closes. At first I thought something might be pushing against the hatch control button in the cargo area or on my key, but I ruled that.

Its a 2008 Edge Limited AWD and this is the first problem we have had since taking delivery last Sept.

I'm hoping its something minor, but till I get it into the dealer I'm being extra careful leaning into the back of the Edge.

Thanks

It does sound confused. :shrug:

Our 08 MKX has an up AND down limit switch BUT IT DOES NOT chime on the way UP.

The up limit switch when activated just stops the lift gate, no up/down.

The down limit switch reverses the lift gate to the fully open position.

Disconnecting the battery and stepping on the brake for a few minutes has been recommended a few times lately to resolve strange problems, you might want to give it a try. Before letting it spends a couple of days at the dealer.

ab

Thanks

Yes, Ive had the same problem just one occasion,with my O8 Limited. I looked in the owners manual on page 124, just manually shut the liftgate, then use any method to power open the liftgate, let it go through a complete open-close cycle and it should reset itself and be okay. That fixed mine and it's been good for several months, I don't know what caused it to malfunction, but it's okay now.