Answeres for all Audio/Video questions

Any questions you guys might have about Audio/Video/Navigation I am your answere man. Been working w/ Ford dealers for 15 years and can help answere any question. Looking forward to helping out.

Great! Here's one for you. My 2008 Edge Ltd said Satellite ready on the window sticker. I purchased a used SDARS on ebay. I plugged it into the harness at the rear of the Edge. The 6 CD head unit recognizes the unit and everything appears to be working. Sirius says I should be able to hear audio on channel 184 even if the module has not been activated but I have no audio on channel 184. Do I need to have the APIM reprogrammed to get audio?

Great! Here's one for you. My 2008 Edge Ltd said Satellite ready on the window sticker. I purchased a used SDARS on ebay. I plugged it into the harness at the rear of the Edge. The 6 CD head unit recognizes the unit and everything appears to be working. Sirius says I should be able to hear audio on channel 184 even if the module has not been activated but I have no audio on channel 184. Do I need to have the APIM reprogrammed to get audio?

Does your Edge come w/ factory video?

What model number did you actually purchase? Is there an issue with SYNC with this?

Does your Edge come w/ factory video?

No. I have the 6 CD unit with the AUX button.

08fordradio1.jpg

After plugging in the existing satellite harness at the rear of the car, I can access Sat 1, Sat 2 and Sat 3 by pressing the AUX button on the head unit. Channel names and song titles display correctly. The only problem I'm having is that I have no satellite audio. Sirius says I should be able to hear audio on channel 184 before activating the unit.

Edited by skham

Any questions you guys might have about Audio/Video/Navigation I am your answere man. Been working w/ Ford dealers for 15 years and can help answere any question. Looking forward to helping out.

Here's one for you: My Edge's Sync worked like a champ since new, for about 7 months, mostly playing MP3 from a Flash Drive. A while back it lost all AUX audio. It still thinks it's playing the songs, normal display showing titles, time into song and, of course, the clock. It's been in the shop three times. They've done a hard re-set by disconnecting the battery for about thirty minutes, replaced the Sync module and I'm not sure what they tried the other time. All appeared to fix the problem. Until the next morning, when the AUX audio would, once again, be dead as last year's romance. The radio, CD player and phone have worked perfectly through all this.

Got any ideas on this one? I'll have it back in the shop Friday (when the radio tech is there) but if you can help, it would be great.

Don

Here's one for you: My Edge's Sync worked like a champ since new, for about 7 months, mostly playing MP3 from a Flash Drive. A while back it lost all AUX audio. It still thinks it's playing the songs, normal display showing titles, time into song and, of course, the clock. It's been in the shop three times. They've done a hard re-set by disconnecting the battery for about thirty minutes, replaced the Sync module and I'm not sure what they tried the other time. All appeared to fix the problem. Until the next morning, when the AUX audio would, once again, be dead as last year's romance. The radio, CD player and phone have worked perfectly through all this.

Got any ideas on this one? I'll have it back in the shop Friday (when the radio tech is there) but if you can help, it would be great.

Don

Sounds like a simple head unit to me.

Darn. I was hoping someone had the answer to retrofitting the Edge with SDARS. I'm starting to think the expensive kit the dealership sells is the only way to retrofit the car with Sirius radio. I'm not even sure why my Edge says "Satellite ready" on the window unless it only means the ACM is sat ready. A post over at Edge-Central seems to indicate that there is a conflict between the SYNC module (APIM) and the preinstalled harness that came with the Edge. I'm not about to spend over 400 bucks for the Sirius kit just to get the replacment harness so maybe I'll modify my existing harness and bypass the APIM to feed the Satellite audio directly to the head unit (ACM).

I have one for you.

We took delivery on an 08 MKX about a week ago. It came with the 08 Nav unit (obviously). When updating the Sync system from 1.0 to 1.2, I noticed on syncmyride.com that 911 Assist and Vehicle Diagnostics is a firmware update that requires the dealer to install those options and features. Since the update was passed on 3/2 and we bought the vehicle on 3/7, I'm making the dealer responsible for installing this update for no charge.

However, the question I have for you is: If 911 Assist and the Vehicle diagnostics is a software or firmware update that crosses between the 08's and 09's, then can some of the OTHER features of the 09 Nav (namely Sirius TravelLink) be installed and work on the 08 Nav headunit as well? I'm not looking to rip out the factory 08 unit. I see that the two units are visually different as far as output on the LCD screen (the 09 is nicer with the blue background, etc., etc.) but otherwise as far as buttons and stuff go, they look as if it's the same unit with software and firmware updates. I'm not looking for an update that will enable me to do other things such as rip CD's to the headunit like I know the 09 Nav unit can do. I've heard the compression loss firsthand on a neighbor's 09 with the THX system and would rather just keep CD's in the unit. But, I really just want the travel and traffic features above and beyond anything else.

Thanks,

Edited by bluetexan

Sounds like a simple head unit to me.

No; Remember everything would work, if only temporarily, so it couldn't be a fuse, could it? It could. One labeled "Family entertainment system/ Rear seat control, SYNC". Once again the man who said electricity can be explained simply: "It's

pure and simple magic." is proven right.

Don

... then can some of the OTHER features of the 09 Nav (namely Sirius TravelLink) be installed and work on the 08 Nav headunit as well?

well as a simple answer.. no I would say. the simple fact that the newer 09 nav's do have the additional "i" information button (did you see that) our 07/08's do not would preclude you from accessing those extra features. believe me, I would love to have them... but those features also require hardware we just do not have as talked about in other threads

• 3 weeks later...
Darn. I was hoping someone had the answer to retrofitting the Edge with SDARS. I'm starting to think the expensive kit the dealership sells is the only way to retrofit the car with Sirius radio. I'm not even sure why my Edge says "Satellite ready" on the window unless it only means the ACM is sat ready. A post over at Edge-Central seems to indicate that there is a conflict between the SYNC module (APIM) and the preinstalled harness that came with the Edge. I'm not about to spend over 400 bucks for the Sirius kit just to get the replacment harness so maybe I'll modify my existing harness and bypass the APIM to feed the Satellite audio directly to the head unit (ACM).

Hey Skham,

I've been following you around these boards in hopes of finding the same solution you are after. (My name at edge central is alsengecentral55).

I just bought a Sirius kit on Ebay with the module and a harness, but what I've seen from the suppliers "radios and more" and "UR radio", the kit for the edge w/ sync comes with an addition interface box. I don't know why that's needed- or what it does. It does appear from what you've be saying and the schematics I've seen, the APIM is the problem. So if you use a cable to bypass it, then why the extra box ?…If you have rear seat DVD, then I could see that the SAT audio would need to get fed via some kind of interface box, since the DVD and the SAT audio share the same input at the HU... so-maybe, that's what the extra box is for? Do you know for sure if the audio in your Edge from the SAT receiver is actually getting to the APIM? If not, maybe your harness is going to a DVD connection that's not there ? I read over in the explorer boards that this harness was the problem for this same issue.

Another thought I had also making me think the APIM is the problem pertains the issue that Ford and Sirius had over "after market" hardware, i.e. who was going to make the $ ?

Perhaps, if the vehicle does not come with Sirius installed at the factory- anything else after that is considered an after market install- so they design it that the APIM cannot be programmed for Sirius unless it's done at the factory as part of the build. So far what I've read, nobody has had sucuess with have dealer reprogram the APIM.

Anyway, I'll let you know how I make out. If we both put our heads together, we should be able to work this out.

BTW- I'm an engineer (electro-optical) and I love these kinds of challenges! We'll get it done!

Edited by alsblueoval55

Thanks for your offer. Perhaps you can answer the question (posted several times) why you cannot simply add a sirius module to an Edge or other ford, using the factory harness that already exists in the vehicle ? Nobody has a good answer to this, (i.e. APIM programing doesn't seem to work, you need another harness, etc) and the after market kits vary as well (some have an additional module, some don't even mention sync and some say you have to inform them if you have a AUX jack, etc.

Can you comment on this ?

Thanks much!

I have an issue while having my i-pod hooked up and jamming to some tunes......I receive a call via bluetooth , radio shuts off and the rings begin.....at end of conversation the person hangs up and the display turns back to the song but I have no sound.....it thinks its playing the song because the counter is advancing.....everything looks normal on the readout, just have no sound. I do not have nav. 2008 Limited AWD.

• 2 weeks later...
I have an issue while having my i-pod hooked up and jamming to some tunes......I receive a call via bluetooth , radio shuts off and the rings begin.....at end of conversation the person hangs up and the display turns back to the song but I have no sound.....it thinks its playing the song because the counter is advancing.....everything looks normal on the readout, just have no sound. I do not have nav. 2008 Limited AWD.

This has happened to me. I just hit the voice prompt button, say "USB" and the audio comes back.

I have the Navigation cd/MP3/DVD the dvd only plays the sounds no video. If this is just a player for the monitors were are the hook ups and what is the best set up (monitors) for it?

Is it the OEM FORD EDGE HEADREST DVD VIDEO PLAYER. But if it is they have their own DVD player inside each monitor.

• 1 month later...

Simple question. Just purchased a '09 Edge Limited yesterday and found that it didn't come with 911 assist even though the sales guy said it did (I have the navigation system). Is this an option that can be added by a dealer? Since I already have the Bluetooth option enabled, it seems like it would just be a software mod.

No. I have the 6 CD unit with the AUX button.

08fordradio1.jpg

After plugging in the existing satellite harness at the rear of the car, I can access Sat 1, Sat 2 and Sat 3 by pressing the AUX button on the head unit. Channel names and song titles display correctly. The only problem I'm having is that I have no satellite audio. Sirius says I should be able to hear audio on channel 184 before activating the unit.

do you have the factory antenna on your rear spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

Here is another one:

Just purchased a ´09 Edge Limited with sync, and I had the 6 CD/MP3 unit wich I replaced with an 08 Navigation Unit, but I have an error installation on the DVD function. I used the same harness and every thing look to be right (I lost sync but I dont use it).

Do you know what do I need to change?

Tanks

• 2 months later...

If VFords is still around, here's one. It sounds like the 2010 Edge's have a unit that is equiped with the capability to have a rear view camera but Ford doesn't offer that option on the Edge for some reason, apparently though they do offer an aftermarket solution for $800 or something. Supposedly the unit though has an input on the back that would accept a camera, however you need a specific cable to connect to the Pins on the back. Any idea what the part number is?

See here for more info ...

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=3850

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just bought a 2010 Ford Edge Limited w/ NAV system and the intro package to Sirius. I just noticed that the sound quality of the talk channels, e.g. NASCAR radio, sounds like the voices are in a box (similar to an EQ setting of a concert hall). Is that the normal sound, or is there a way I can change that? I don't have the option in the DSP menu to change from "surround" to "stereo" (maybe cause I don't have the DVD option?).....it just gives me the option of "all seats", "front seats" and "rear seats". When playing music, the sound 'seems' ok, especially good when playing my iPod. Or is it just me and I'm not used to the sound quality.

• 1 month later...