Answeres for all Audio/Video questions

Well, there's Dolby Digital, there's DTS, there's THX, and numerous proprietary surround sound formulations out there being used in mobile audio systems. Heck, for home audio, they even have surround/center channel speaker soundbars! Regarding sound quality, yes, there are differences due to encoding or source material. The only constant you have is YOUR audio system. Some implementations are cleaner than others. BUT they ARE using the 5.1 or 7.1 or whatever ...

OK thanks for those answers.... but what is the point then of having a surround mode and a center dash speaker?!

The center dash speaker isn't just for multi-channel surround sound like a home theater setup. It can be used with a stereo source as well and that's what the built-in surround mode does - converts stereo to multi-channel. I don't like it personally but some do - they were even mad because on some Fords the surround mode defaults to off when you start the vehicle. Home stereos have the same feature.

There just isn't enough SACD, DVD-A, DD, DTS or other true digital multi-channel source material to make it worthwhile to support.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all,

Unfortunately, the car audio world has a LOT of catching up to do when compared to the home theater world. The biggest readily available encoding formats for any audio are Dolby Digital (DD), and DTS. Sony's SDDS will only be played in Sony equipped theaters, and THX is the certification process to "ensure" a certain level of quality in the equipment. Only companies that pay THX labs to certify their equipment can receive the certain levels of ratings. THX ratings mean that the quality of equipment used meets certain standards for audio quality, but doesn't ensure that you will approve of the sound, as it tends to be a flatter response level.

DVD Audio is so dead that I don't think they even got to the point of making a HU that was compatible in the car world. SACD from Sony won the battle against DVD Audio, but fared about the same in the car world.

Why a center speaker if it's not a dedicated channel on the audio track? Well, to answer that, we have to go back a couple of decades it the HT arena. Pro Logic, or Dolby Pro Logic, was an encoding/decoding method that took a stereo signal and created a phantom center channel by taking vocal frequencies, generally speaking, and instead of playing them through the left and right channels through the speakers, it created a center channel to play the voices through. There was no dedicated channel on the disc, necessarily, it was created, or decoded, by the processor before going to speakers.

Gary W.

• Like 1

I just installed a Sony ASWC-1 Multi-channel SACD/DD/DTS player with a 7" screen in my 07 Edge. Superb sound, and I have well over 100 multi-channel SACD and DVD-A disks and a few high resolution PCM stereo disks. It plays the DD or DTS tracks on the DVD-A disks just fine. This receiver sounds so much better than the junk 6 disk changer that Ford selected as the OEM unit it is hard to believe. I have stock speakers including the powered sub. It also plays video
​DVD's including my collection of multi-channel concert videos. Only thing it won't play are the new Blu-ray audio disks.

Only issue is that the speed signal sent to the radio turns the volume down too far and too often. I am told I should have turned that off with the OEM unit first but my OEM unit died. Guess I have to take it in to a Ford Dealer, gerrrrrrr.

By the way, the backup camera works fine with this had to find player.

Edited by Feirstein
  • Like 1

I do have an extra single DIN MEX-DV2000 multi-channel SACD/Dolby Digital/DTS/PCM Sony radio I could sell you. It also accepts the optional HD radio adapter. You can find one for a good price on ebay. It sports the best AM and FM sections in the industry. If you have any interest let me know.

Hey, I have a 2013 Ford Edge, I am trying to find a way to play videos from my android to the MFT display. I am told you can only use the A/V jacks for that so I would need a cable. Problem is I cannot find a mini usb to A/V jack adaptor cable. Anyone done this? Where can I get a cable?

I believe the SEL+ would have the subwoofer, not the SEL. The most frequent/rewarding/simple upgrade is to change out the door speakers. If you don't have/need navigation, you could replace the head unit as well with one of choice, and add a sub at that time.

EDIT: Do you know if you have the PREMIUM SOUND/AUDIOPHILE SOUND option? You can look up the window sticker to make it easier:

http://www.inventory.ford.com/services/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

That I do not know. Maybe the audiophile version of the OEM radio has a sub out, I don't see anything helpful in the owner guide regarding that. Do you have the 6 disc changer or single disc unit? i believe the audiophile version has the 6 cd changer unit.

But if I want to add a sub, I also have to add an Amp, right?

• 3 weeks later...

HI all,

I bought some component speakers to go in the front of my 2011 Ford Edge and I need to wire in the crossover which requires getting a wire from the speaker in the door to the crossover, which is in the cabin. The connector in the door is solid and I don't think I can go that route. What is the best way to get the speaker wire from the door to the crossover in the kickspace of the cabin?

TIA!!

Eric

Disregard - I have installed the speakers. Thanks anyway.

Edited by ericm007