USB Stopped Working

The USB in the glove box just stopped working out of nowhere it seems...I tried 2 iPods, 2 Flash Drives...I press the Media button...say "USB"....and.....NUTHIN..car just says "no USB device"..."Blue Tooth Audio?"...when I plug my iPod in, it does not show that it is as charging, but when I put a flash drive in, it does at least light up to indicate it is emitting some sort of power...I tried 2 iPod cords...and still nada...any help at all would be greatly appreciated, or else I may have to go back to listening to *gasp* CD's!...dun dun dun

Thought of that one already...don't want to have to make an appointment, wait all day...etc...what kind of an answer is that anyways?..."go to the dealer"...yeah, wow...is that your answer to all posts on this forum?...sheesh...I thought this was a forum for discussions, and to share experiences and stories..."go to the dealer"...thanks...

Thought of that one already...don't want to have to make an appointment, wait all day...etc...what kind of an answer is that anyways?..."go to the dealer"...yeah, wow...is that your answer to all posts on this forum?...sheesh...I thought this was a forum for discussions, and to share experiences and stories..."go to the dealer"...thanks...

Because that's what one does when you have a problem that's covered by the factory warranty - you let the dealer fix it. If it's anything other than a loose connection then you'll have to take it back to get it fixed anyway.

yeah BUT... we do not know just yet IF it is "a problem that's covered by the factory warranty", we cant know that until he trys a few solutions offered by people, why just default to the dealer option and not try a few fixes first before "going to the dealer". People have solved, and gotten answers, to tougher issues here than this that precluded any need to go to a dealer where you thought you might have to - which we all know is more times than not (1) a PITA (2) takes a full day or more commitment and effort and (3) no guarantee they can even fix it.

anyway... have you tried pulling fuses and checking them, you can also try cleaning the usb port (maybe with compressed air), also if you search here you will find a thread I did about adding a second USB device to the SYNC box which is located behind the center arm rest console. Point is, might pull that off and check the USB connection there as well. It will take 30 seconds for that check.

yeah BUT... we do not know just yet IF it is "a problem that's covered by the factory warranty", we cant know that until he trys a few solutions offered by people, why just default to the dealer option and not try a few fixes first before "going to the dealer". People have solved, and gotten answers, to tougher issues here than this that precluded any need to go to a dealer where you thought you might have to - which we all know is more times than not (1) a PITA (2) takes a full day or more commitment and effort and (3) no guarantee they can even fix it.

anyway... have you tried pulling fuses and checking them, you can also try cleaning the usb port (maybe with compressed air), also if you search here you will find a thread I did about adding a second USB device to the SYNC box which is located behind the center arm rest console. Point is, might pull that off and check the USB connection there as well. It will take 30 seconds for that check.

Thank you!...very much, this is why I like these forums...the sharing of ideas...I will have a go at these suggestions...thanks all...updates to come!

I believe that this issue falls between "bumper-to-bumper" Why would a fault in a new vehicle which is covered under warranty, not be covered under the warranty? Save yourself time and aggravation Vapor and possibly damaging something else along the way, and take your car in for service. Once you have messed with things such as removing dash board covers/plates and moving wires, then they can void your warranty claiming it is something you messed up. This forum is here for help and information and that is exactly what I have given to you.

In response to your questions: It was a very good answer and one that would provide a solution to your problem.

No, that is not my answer to all the posts in the forum.

The warranty is there for a reason.....use it and let ford shell out the money to have their techs repair the problem.

Instead of screwing around with it, why not just take it to the dealer and get it fixed by someone that has the tools to diag your problem. Im going to help you with this one.

TSB

09-7-9 SYNC SOFTWARE UPDATE - VARIOUS ISSUES

Publication Date: April 2, 2009

FORD: 2008-2009 Focus, Fusion, Taurus X, Taurus

2009 Mustang

2008-2009 Edge, Explorer Sport Trac, Explorer

2009 Escape, Expedition, F-150, F-Super Duty, Flex

LINCOLN: 2008-2009 MKZ

2009 MKS

2008-2009 MKX, Navigator

MERCURY: 2008-2009 Milan, Sable, Mountaineer

2009 Mariner

This article supersedes TSB 08-25-3 to update the Service Procedure.

ISSUE:

Some 2008 and early built 2009 SYNC® equipped vehicles may exhibit one or more of the following symptoms:

Universal Serial Bus (USB) port inoperative.

USB audio muting when using various non-Apple USB devices.

Phone book access difficulty on certain 2-digit phone book entries when using voice commands.

Excessive background noise and/or poor voice sound quality.

Phone book auto download inoperative on supported devices.

SYNC steering wheel control (SWC) switches being intermittently inoperative.

This software update does not apply to vehicles that have had the V2 (911 and Vehicle Health Report) upgrade installed.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Reprogram the accessory protocol interface module (APIM) module to consumer interface processor (CIP) software level 9L3T-14D544-AE by performing the following. Service Pack files may also be obtained at www.syncmyride.com.

Good Luck

P.S. Plus, maybe you can talk them into upgrading to VHR and 911 for free since they have to program it anyway.

Edited by fordtech1

yeah BUT sometimes I can - and have - 'fixed' stuff the dealer is clueless about, sometimes they cannot even 'fix' issues, and sometimes things you 'thought' were dealer visit worthy were as simple as changing a fuse - but you only ever know thanks to tips here... the dealers are not ever my first line of help, given what I see, what I know, they are 2-3 down the list. I would come to this forum any day first, gather data, then maybe go to a dealer. period. If I would have taken the car to the dealer for every little issue I had, other than sourcing out possible reasons and fixes here, geez.. I would spend a lot more time there than I care to imagine only to have found out, a day or two later with no car to use and a real hassle trying to work out logistics, it was an easy self fix.

yeah BUT sometimes I can - and have - 'fixed' stuff the dealer is clueless about, sometimes they cannot even 'fix' issues, and sometimes things you 'thought' were dealer visit worthy were as simple as changing a fuse - but you only ever know thanks to tips here... the dealers are not ever my first line of help, given what I see, what I know, they are 2-3 down the list. I would come to this forum any day first, gather data, then maybe go to a dealer. period. If I would have taken the car to the dealer for every little issue I had, other than sourcing out possible reasons and fixes here, geez.. I would spend a lot more time there than I care to imagine only to have found out, a day or two later with no car to use and a real hassle trying to work out logistics, it was an easy self fix.

Ok good luck to you. Just like customers, not all dealers are alike. I just see alot of vehicles that customers have taken to multiple places trying to repair and sometimes they are botched up, just for them to come to us and it be something like a reflash, or a known issues for us. It would have saved time and money after all.

So whatever gets you thru the day....

On another note, you will find if you are a repeat customer for service, you will be treated alot better because more than likely you have developed a relationship with a service advisor. Plus if ever your vehicle has a major issue out of warranty, a repeat customer has a much better chance for assistance.

yeah, you could go spend $50-100 to have the dealer install the Sync 1.2 update.... or do it yourself.... FREE :)

I do agree about building relationships with a dealer. I personally do have one and only go to 1 dealer, but that is when I 'need' to go. But it is kind of funny what you said about developing a relationship with a service advisor.. at my dealer I have tried to do that, to bad they are on their 3rd advisor ;)

yeah, you could go spend $50-100 to have the dealer install the Sync 1.2 update.... or do it yourself.... FREE :)

I do agree about building relationships with a dealer. I personally do have one and only go to 1 dealer, but that is when I 'need' to go. But it is kind of funny what you said about developing a relationship with a service advisor.. at my dealer I have tried to do that, to bad they are on their 3rd advisor ;)

You can only update the "CIP module" by sync my ride. You can not update the "VIP module" unless you are at the dealer. Plus we are at sync 2.0 with VHR 911.

The dealer updates are much better. Also, since there is a TSB you wont be charged to get the USB working again. 911 VHR is a little different, but they may update it for you while they are programming. Its basicaly the same process.

You can only update the "CIP module" by sync my ride.

yes, I know... did it first week it was out

You can not update the "VIP module" unless you are at the dealer.

yep.. hence the 911/HVR dealer requirement

Plus we are at sync 2.0 with VHR 911.

yep, I know... lagging on that one since dealers wants $50, which I will pay, BUT I do not intend to make an appointment just for that 1 install given going to the dealer requires advanced planing, a plan of action and some deep breathing preparation

The dealer updates are much better.

huh? your saying them doing 1.2 for example was better then me doing 1.2... I don't think so. Not to mention, they did not even know how to do 1.2 when it did come on line. Same with the 911/HVR.. read the SMR websites (911 Assist & Vehicle Health Report) topic, many dealers did/do not even know about the 911 install, do not have equipment to do it, nor can even do it if they do as there seems to be no real prep or process instituted by Ford to get dealers up to speed. heck, mine quoted me $50 but it was so obviously clear they had no idea what the HVR/911 update even was and only found out after having to call me back so they could find out WTH I was talking about.

well.. now that we have totally hijacked VaporSilver's thread :) it does seem, given your TSB - which, thanks to websites like this one can find out about and go armed to the dealer with some information on the problem - it might be that VaporSilver does actually have to 'gulp' visit the dealer

yes, I know... did it first week it was out

yep.. hence the 911/HVR dealer requirement

yep, I know... lagging on that one since dealers wants $50, which I will pay, BUT I do not intend to make an appointment just for that 1 install given going to the dealer requires advanced planing, a plan of action and some deep breathing preparation

huh? your saying them doing 1.2 for example was better then me doing 1.2... I don't think so. Not to mention, they did not even know how to do 1.2 when it did come on line. Same with the 911/HVR.. read the SMR websites (911 Assist & Vehicle Health Report) topic, many dealers did/do not even know about the 911 install, do not have equipment to do it, nor can even do it if they do as there seems to be no real prep or process instituted by Ford to get dealers up to speed. heck, mine quoted me $50 but it was so obviously clear they had no idea what the HVR/911 update even was and only found out after having to call me back so they could find out WTH I was talking about.

well.. now that we have totally hijacked VaporSilver's thread :) it does seem, given your TSB - which, thanks to websites like this one can find out about and go armed to the dealer with some information on the problem - it might be that VaporSilver does actually have to 'gulp' visit the dealer

Very well, its obvious that you know more than me on a product that I make a living doing. Best of luck to you all. I don't believe I will be assisting any more with info on here. I know exactly how this system works inside and out. Amazingly, I didn't read it from a bunch of ill-informed people from a website, I actually went to a class . Help was asked for, I gave it, you rejected it. F-U!

:angry:

and yes believe what you want, but I know our updates are better.

Edited by fordtech1

Very well, its obvious that you know more than me on a product that I make a living doing. Best of luck to you all. I don't believe I will be assisting any more with info on here. I know exactly how this system works inside and out. Amazingly, I didn't read it from a bunch of ill-informed people from a website, I actually went to a class . Help was asked for, I gave it, you rejected it. F-U!

:angry:

and yes believe what you want, but I know our updates are better.

easy tiger.. F-me?

If your skin is that thin that my mild banter with you (1) causes you to tell me to F'off in 4-5 posts and (2) I am responsible for you bugging out on the boards and helping anyone else and (3) generalizing about us here as "a bunch of ill-informed people from a website"... see ya

ps - "and yes believe what you want, but I know our updates are better", no I do not believe you at all on this point. The 1.2 update is, as has been confirmed by myself and others over at SMR prior to installing and can be done yourself via a call to the Ford sync support people, the same as the dealers. heck, as I said, I did it and knew about it and had it all done before my local dealer even knew about it - so my faith in 'your' installs.. well, this is not rocket science. we use the same method, same port, same download.. same install... same results. mine runs perfect, no problems. and I did it myself.

Ok for the last time I am going to try and explain this. Yes you can update to 1.2 from SMR and a USB jump drive. Yes yours may be working great. Yes we at the dealer uses a male to male usb cable to connect a laptop to the usb port. However, we also connect to the data link connector under the dash at the same time. We also check the system for codes, latest calibrations, and report the installation to the Ford server at the time of install. Unlike SMR where if you dont return your jump drive to your computer, your update does not get reported. (no big deal). Also, 1.2 is a fine patch. But its the equalivent of updating service pack1 on windows when service pack 2 is out.

The TSB I quoted, has one part in it that I should have pasted... So here it is....

NOTE: CONFIGURATION AND PROGRAMMING REQUIRES THE USE OF A SPECIAL PROFESSIONAL TECHNICIAN SOCIETY (PTS) APPLICATION. INSTALLER MUST HAVE ACCESS TO PTS AND HAVE A VALID PTS USER ID AND PASSWORD.

Do you have that?

Whats so amazing to me is that I was trying to help you guys as Ford customers get a "FREE" update! I was not trying to get you to spend money. Like I have done to other memebers in the MKS forum and they appreciated the extra info to get their car repaired. I want Ford owners to be happy with their cars. I take pride in my work and like to help but I have no issues with walking away from those that don't want it.