Brakes and rotors

I was getting some noise from brake area on my 07 edge, wasnt constant but usually when i was driving for 10 minutes or longer. Just got back from service shop , not ford, and was told my brake pads were only about half worn but by rotors were bad and was told that ford uses thin cheap rotors to save cost. He is gonna replace four rotors with new and good quality rotors and all new brake pads with lifetime warranty for $584. Has anyone else had to replace their rotors and am i getting hosed or is this possible. I need to mention my mileage is 40,000.

I was getting some noise from brake area on my 07 edge, wasnt constant but usually when i was driving for 10 minutes or longer. Just got back from service shop , not ford, and was told my brake pads were only about half worn but by rotors were bad and was told that ford uses thin cheap rotors to save cost. He is gonna replace four rotors with new and good quality rotors and all new brake pads with lifetime warranty for $584. Has anyone else had to replace their rotors and am i getting hosed or is this possible. I need to mention my mileage is 40,000.

Ford rotors are not necessarily thin and cheap. They can be turned at least once, possibly twice. They should only have to be replaced if they've already been turned or they're heavily damaged. $584 for new pads and rotors sounds reasonable but I don't really think you should need new rotors. If it was me, I'd go get aftermarket rotors (maybe even slotted and/or drilled - just for looks) and pads. They're easy to put on yourself and would cost less than $584 total - and perform better.

I just replaced my rotors. I replaced them with Wagner rotors ($60 each) and Wagner Thermo pads ($60). This is not a big job to do yourself. It is pretty simple if you have the tools. The original pads looked pretty good after 50,000 miles, but the rotors were warped. I never have rotors "turned". It is cheaper to replace them. If you dont want to do it yourself, it appears that he his going to charge you about 200 labor.

Don't walk away...RUN AWAY!

You MIGHT need to have your rotors turned IF

You live in the mountains

You drive with your left foot on the brake

You park on the 10 floor of your parking garage.

I recently had an event with a "service shop".

My F250 need some front end work, the estimate was for OVER $600.00.

Took it to a KNOWN REPUTABLE "service shop" 90 bucks later it drives like a new one!!!

ab

Okay, my 2008 has now had the front rotors and pads replaced at 64,000 KM (not miles). This is after the rear rotors and pads got replaced about a month or so ago due to squealing,binding. Its a company vehicle so the fleet card pays for it but the charge is just over 500.00 for the fronts and 500.00 for the rears. Two different shops with two different chains that our fleet people send us to.

My miles are about half highway (with some stop and go driving) and half serious city stop and go. If I was paying the tab I would be seriously pissed about a car that is less than two years old and has under 45,000 miles on it requiring over 1000.00 in non-warranty brake work. If it was personal I would have been at the dealer pushing for Ford to step up to the plate (even though brakes are viewed as normal wear/tear).

- the rears should normally last way longer than the fronts on a vehicle

- the unbearable noise that prompted the rear work was an almost continous moan squeal. the mechanic pointed out a ridge on the rotor at the outside edge of the brake pad location. Not a groove. The rear pads fell apart literally when taken off.

- The fronts were pulsing like a bucking bronco when i stopped from any real speed. They also had the ridge and warping

I had high hopes for my first Ford in years but based on 1000.00 in brakes in two years this type of operating cost has convinced me that Ford has not made enough strides to make me spend my own money on one. I know other brands also have crap brakes/rotors (had a Chrysler) but our personal Honda van has 78,000 km on it. Rears are original and the fronts had the rotors done a while ago under warranty by Honda Canada.