Washing

When my local dealer delivered my Edge, he. all puffed up proud, proclaimed "and you'll NEVER need to wax this car because of the special finish..."

Me (mentally): "Yeah, right, and that bridge for sale??"

What does the brain trust think? Any truth to this claim?

Hi TN_Yank. :D As BlazedUp stated, "...this is B.S.". There is no treatment or "special finish" that can be applied to a cars paint finish that will last for the life of the car. In fact, not even for a year (if you care about your cars appearance and paint longevity).

All automotive paint finishes will need to be cleaned, waxed or treated in some way (at the very least). Usually at least twice a year (and preferably much more often and sometimes with additional paint care products, if you care about your cars appearance).

You can get some great automotive detailing care tips at these three sites:

LINK: Meguiar's

LINK: Autopia

LINK: Mother's

If you read the "How-to", "Detailing", "FAQ" and other related sections, you will find a wealth of information.

While there are many of us here who can give you plenty of advice, you will find much more information on those websites than we can ever give to you in short Internet posts.

Of course, there are other great websites for car care tips, and I am sure others will give you some good places to look. But in the mean time, this is a good place to start.

But again, to put it politely, your Dealer is absolutely incorrect. :gang:

Good luck. :beerchug:

When my local dealer delivered my Edge, he. all puffed up proud, proclaimed "and you'll NEVER need to wax this car because of the special finish..."

...speechless..... :hysterical:

Maybe he plans to wax it for you, for life.

Wax will not prevent rust (maybe a little). It will reduce or prevent oxidation of the paint surface and damage due to grit, tree sap, bugs minor chips, etc. Which car would you want as a used car? Regular cleaning and waxing is the safe bet.

Wax will not prevent rust (maybe a little). It will reduce or prevent oxidation of the paint surface and damage due to grit, tree sap, bugs minor chips, etc. Which car would you want as a used car? Regular cleaning and waxing is the safe bet.

The dealer was implying that he had used some magic type of paint sealer or wax that lasted forever. Which we all know is pure BS.

I got my Dealer to throw in 5 years of Auto Butler clear coat protection service. Basically, I take my car into the dealer every 6 months and they clean the exterior and apply a new coat of this clear coat protector. In theory, I won't have to wax for 5 years.

They wanted $400 for the service, but I got it free as part of my negotiations.

Check out the link:

Auto Butler Info

Evil, I'm curious how good a job the Autowaxer will do. This is the first I've heard of it.... Personally, I always a good deal of time removing 'stuff' (tar, bug remains, and who knows what else) from the paint by hand w/ a clay bar before polishing, and then waxing...washing never seems to get it all off....but maybe Autowax has a way of getting all the 'stuff' off before waxing.

Hope it works out ok for you...Good luck

That's just what I want......Teflon on my rims/ wheels/ brakes etc. There is no substitute for a hand wax. If your happy with it, then it's all good.......This is definitely not for me. It is not Teflon, it is a paint sealant....which typically lasts 6 months, whereas a good coat of wax lasts about 2-3 months.

Um....let me find that oceanfront property in AZ to sell you.

I don't even bother with those sealants from dealers because with $40 and some elbow grease, I can do it myself.

• 1 month later...

try this.

I've used it for 5 years on my daily driver, a 1996 Impala SS, and now will be using it on the wifes 2010 Edge.

My neighbor invented it. He has been in the detail business for 30 years.

I only wax the car about every 18 months and use this when I wash.

To the touch the finish is smooth as silk.

Wax/brilliance/protection lasts way longer with this product.

www.tech-shine.com

he also has a shop in SF.

California Detailing on Fell.

www.californiadetailing.com

All fine and dandy but I'll stick with my regular schedule of clay bar and waxing using only microfiber several if not more times a year to keep my vehicles looking good. A trip to Walmart, $10 will score you a nice bottle of Meguires NXT that will last all year (5 or so full waxing jobs) and a few afternoons of hanging out in the garage with some elbow grease over the period of a year. Our '07 MKX was rather gritty and rough around the edges when we first picked it up earlier this year and it looks better than new now and is kept that way. I always get comments on how perfect it is and to be honest, I kind of enjoy doing it.

Edited by klc317

Does any one know how to get wax off of the plastic body panels on the sides of the Edge? I know, I know you're not supposed to get wax on them but I slipped a couple of times and now can't find anything to get it off.

try silicone. Spray it in a paper cup or whatever you've got around, and wipe with a micro fiber towel or use a soft make up brush to remove it.