Brake Booster bad

DJ Nap

Took the Edge in because the brakes were stiff and hissing, turns out it was the booster (as all my research had pointed to). Service guy hadn't heard of them going bad on the Edge and was in somewhat disbelief. Had to have one shipped overnight + parts/labor = a whopping $580 :cry: . I guess you can't put a price on brakes or safety, but damn...a vehicle this new?

BTW, I have downloaded the complete FoMoCo service manual for the Edge and will gladly upload a link for you for a small Paypal donation. ^_^

Took the Edge in because the brakes were stiff and hissing, turns out it was the booster (as all my research had pointed to). Service guy hadn't heard of them going bad on the Edge and was in somewhat disbelief. Had to have one shipped overnight + parts/labor = a whopping $580 :cry: . I guess you can't put a price on brakes or safety, but damn...a vehicle this new?

BTW, I have downloaded the complete FoMoCo service manual for the Edge and will gladly upload a link for you for a small Paypal donation. ^_^

And why wouldn't this be covered under warranty??

Do you do your own maintenance or repairs?

Did you consider changing it yourself?

Thanks

ab

funny you ask...an ASE buddy of mine and I changed out (at the same time) an oil pump, water pump, cam/crank seals, tranny/oil pan gaskets, timing belt, struts, rotors, etc on my '92 SC400, but after I d/l the Ford service manual, took the battery and tray & intake off and figured how I'm going to snake the old booster out (ABS lines in the way), I said to hell with it. Sucking out fluid, bleeding the brakes, breaking my neck to get under the d/s dash...screw it, I'll let the "pros" handle it. Best believe I pondered the idea of doing it myself.

• Like 1

funny you ask...an ASE buddy of mine and I changed out (at the same time) an oil pump, water pump, cam/crank seals, tranny/oil pan gaskets, timing belt, struts, rotors, etc on my '92 SC400, but after I d/l the Ford service manual, took the battery and tray & intake off and figured how I'm going to snake the old booster out (ABS lines in the way), I said to hell with it. Sucking out fluid, bleeding the brakes, breaking my neck to get under the d/s dash...screw it, I'll let the "pros" handle it. Best believe I pondered the idea of doing it myself.

YEA that’s why I asked.

Boosters look easy BUT I usually end up bleeding because of the sharp edges on the steering brackets…etc.

ab

YEA that’s why I asked.

Boosters look easy BUT I usually end up bleeding because of the sharp edges on the steering brackets…etc.

ab

Glad I didn't do it, Ford called this morning and said it was my master cylinder. Seems it was leaking into the booster. They said they wanted another $150. :censored: Let's just say by the end of the day, I had the GM's card in my hand and the master cylinder taken care of - no charge. Now, to dig deeper into this Ford booster problem......

Wow, getting around that tightly packed V8 in the SC to do all that would not only tire me out but result in lots of knuckle bandaids.

SC400 Struts....I hope you put in new "strut" insulator/bellows/boots at the same time. That "clunk"/thunk sound you were hearing driving over slight bumps at fairly low speed was not the struts but the top of the coil spring striking the strut mounting plate. I installed 5/8" automotive water hose over the first 360 degrees of the top of the coil springs so that would not repeat.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

We have a 2008 Ford Edge Limited with only 40,000 miles on it and for the last several months have been dealing with a brake problem. After giving our original dealership SEVERAL attempts to correct the problem we decided to take our Edge to another Ford Dealership (who has been top notch and extremely helpful) to have them try and diagnose the brake problems. It took them a short time to tell us that the Master Cylinder was bad and was leaking so much that it was full of fluid(our previous dealerships fix to our complaining about the brake problem was to just keep adding brake fluid, never mind finding out where the fluid was going, just fill it up and send the customer on their way!!!), since the master was full of fluid internally it was putting pressure on our calipers and they may have been damaged too. Received a call from them today and so far they have replaced the master and are keeping it for a couple days to see if any damage has been done to the calipers. The dealership contacted Ford to see what they could do and they were basically told that since we are out of warranty they cannot help us at all. The service manager told me to try calling the customer service line and see what response i would get and i got the exact same answer. Needless to say the dealership is going outta their way to help with the expensive problem this has become and is trying to cut any unneeded expenses to help us out. If the calipers have to be replaced our final bill will be well over $2,000.00!!!!!!!!!!! Not exactly what i think we should be pumping into a vehicle with ONLY 40,000 miles on it!! After doing some research i am starting to see a repeated problem some Edge owners are having with Master cylinders in their own rides.The main thing in all of this is that the problem was caught before my wife and kids were put into harms way but it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth on our FIRST Ford vehice we have ever owned. We love the Edge except for this one thing, but brakes to me are a major thing!!! When the time comes to replace our Edge it's gonna be a hard decision. I hope Ford really starts looking into the master cylinder problem they may have. I realize that even new cars have problems but when several people are reporting the same problem there could be a connection. If anyone else has had brake problems please send me a message, i would love to hear your story!!

• Like 1

Hello,

We have a 2008 Ford Edge Limited with only 40,000 miles on it and for the last several months have been dealing with a brake problem. After giving our original dealership SEVERAL attempts to correct the problem we decided to take our Edge to another Ford Dealership (who has been top notch and extremely helpful) to have them try and diagnose the brake problems. It took them a short time to tell us that the Master Cylinder was bad and was leaking so much that it was full of fluid(our previous dealerships fix to our complaining about the brake problem was to just keep adding brake fluid, never mind finding out where the fluid was going, just fill it up and send the customer on their way!!!), since the master was full of fluid internally it was putting pressure on our calipers and they may have been damaged too. Received a call from them today and so far they have replaced the master and are keeping it for a couple days to see if any damage has been done to the calipers. The dealership contacted Ford to see what they could do and they were basically told that since we are out of warranty they cannot help us at all. The service manager told me to try calling the customer service line and see what response i would get and i got the exact same answer. Needless to say the dealership is going outta their way to help with the expensive problem this has become and is trying to cut any unneeded expenses to help us out. If the calipers have to be replaced our final bill will be well over $2,000.00!!!!!!!!!!! Not exactly what i think we should be pumping into a vehicle with ONLY 40,000 miles on it!! After doing some research i am starting to see a repeated problem some Edge owners are having with Master cylinders in their own rides.The main thing in all of this is that the problem was caught before my wife and kids were put into harms way but it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth on our FIRST Ford vehice we have ever owned. We love the Edge except for this one thing, but brakes to me are a major thing!!! When the time comes to replace our Edge it's gonna be a hard decision. I hope Ford really starts looking into the master cylinder problem they may have. I realize that even new cars have problems but when several people are reporting the same problem there could be a connection. If anyone else has had brake problems please send me a message, i would love to hear your story!!

I'm glad they fixed the problem. I have a question though. Are you sure that the master cylinder wasn't leaking into the booster? A master cylinder can leak, but it would loose fluid externally and internally. A seal in the master can go bad and cause a sinking pedal, but not a loss of fluid. The only way to loose fluid like you said is to have an external leak.

You said that they told you the master cylinder is putting pressure on the calipers and this may have damaged them. This is how a caliper works, This could damage pads and rotors but not the calipers. Maybe you just misunderstood what they were saying, or they are wrong. I would ask for more information.

I'm glad they fixed the problem. I have a question though. Are you sure that the master cylinder wasn't leaking into the booster? A master cylinder can leak, but it would loose fluid externally and internally. A seal in the master can go bad and cause a sinking pedal, but not a loss of fluid. The only way to loose fluid like you said is to have an external leak.

You said that they told you the master cylinder is putting pressure on the calipers and this may have damaged them. This is how a caliper works, This could damage pads and rotors but not the calipers. Maybe you just misunderstood what they were saying, or they are wrong. I would ask for more information.

Thanks for the reply. I pick the vehicle up next week so i will have them explain to me exactly what they had to fix and why. I think what you are saying is actually what they were trying to relay to me. The service manager did say that the master cylinder was leaking internally and that it was completely full of fluid thus the reason we were loosing all the brake fluid. There was no external leak at the master cylinder that they could find, but they did notice some leaking at the calipers which led them to investigate those as well. I will repost exactly what they tell me when i pick it up. I might be confused or maybe they explained something incorrectly to me too! Thanks again.

Wow, getting around that tightly packed V8 in the SC to do all that would not only tire me out but result in lots of knuckle bandaids.

SC400 Struts....I hope you put in new "strut" insulator/bellows/boots at the same time. That "clunk"/thunk sound you were hearing driving over slight bumps at fairly low speed was not the struts but the top of the coil spring striking the strut mounting plate. I installed 5/8" automotive water hose over the first 360 degrees of the top of the coil springs so that would not repeat.

We tore the whole front end off

post-4426-1266258949584_thumb.jpg

post-4426-12662589574609_thumb.jpg

yes, I replaced all the components in the suspension and it was very quiet after that..the Tokico Blue's had that thing riding like a vette!

5 weeks after allllll that work, a lady in a Kia blows a red light in front of me @ 50 mph

post-4426-12662591693679_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I have had the same problem. Had the master cylinder replaced about 5 month ago (lucky for me still uner warranty).

Just today the warning lights have come back on and it looks as if the problem has returned, so it must be something else causing the problem. The dealership I have been working with has been unable to solve the problem so I am lookoing for any help. Please let me kmow of anyone has heard of anythng. I will keep an eye out for a post.

I have had the same problem. Had the master cylinder replaced about 5 month ago (lucky for me still uner warranty).

Just today the warning lights have come back on and it looks as if the problem has returned, so it must be something else causing the problem. The dealership I have been working with has been unable to solve the problem so I am lookoing for any help. Please let me kmow of anyone has heard of anythng. I will keep an eye out for a post.

I would go to a new dealer. Or go back where you had the master cylinder done first, and if they will not follow up the original problem, I would go to new dealer.

• 1 year later...

Hello. I have an Edge 09 Ltd Edition and I am having issues with the brakes. They are hard and you actually have to force the pedal down to get any hold and you hear a hissing noise (like air leaking out of a tire!!!). The car is 2years old with 38,000km.

The dealership asked me to run a diagnostic test which gave an error "C1115 ABS Power Relay Output Short Circuit to Battery" What does this mean? Thanks

My 07's booster went at about 65,000 miles. I picked up a new one at the Ford dealer for under $120 and some new brake fluid. I changed it out myself. I am not a skilled mechanic, but it took less than 1 1/2 hours. Just how could they even think of charging anything close to $580 for this rather simple job. Yes, clearing the area to pull it took some effort and reaching under the steering wheel was a pain, but give me a brake,

Hello. I have an Edge 09 Ltd Edition and I am having issues with the brakes. They are hard and you actually have to force the pedal down to get any hold and you hear a hissing noise (like air leaking out of a tire!!!). The car is 2years old with 38,000km.

The dealership asked me to run a diagnostic test which gave an error "C1115 ABS Power Relay Output Short Circuit to Battery" What does this mean? Thanks

It means you should take it to the dealership for warranty repair. Could be the booster or the ABS.

• 3 years later...

I have a 2012 Ford Edge se I experienced a loss of brakes when I went down a hill. I have to say it scared the crap out of me. I immediately started to research what could be causing it and found that the power brake booster was bad. You can tell when it goes out when you tap your brakes and the brake pedal fills full with air and you have to use force to stop and I've hurd people push down so hard that it breaks the seal on the master cylinder. Luckily mine was covered by extended warranty but should be recalled in my opinion. During repairs the told me my battery was bad . I replaced it but not sure why it failed so soon.

I've never had a battery last more than 3 - 3.5 years, sometimes less. That goes for OEM and replacements. I don't even bother with the expensive multi-year warranty batteries any more. I just buy the $100 ones at Advance auto parts every 3 years or so. And I replace it as soon as it dies the first time - no need to waste time trying to save it. It will fail again.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...