Brake Booster bad

DJ Nap

I think my Edge is now experiencing the same problem. The brakes are almost ineffectual at very slow speeds, when going down steep hills I have to push the brakes past the first hard stop in the pedal, where the pedal itself starts to hiss. When stopped on a steep hill and not pushing down hard, as the idle on the engine moves up and down the car slightly slides forward each time.

I just took it in for service, and they said the brakes were fine (70% unworn). I take that with a grain of salt since my battery went belly up 2 months after a previous service during a very mild Vancouver winter.

Should I be taking it back to have them look at it again. There is an extended warranty on the brake booster so I want to get this done if I have to.

What was the warranty extend to for the brake booster? Not sure if the 2011 Edge I have has had any issues in the past, but the brakes feel good on it when I get the opportunity to drive it. Only issue I feel is a slight warping of the rotors. As far as batteries. I am on my third battery, bought the cheapest one with the shortest life. Kid tried to sell me a 5 or 6 year battery and I looked at him and said "really?, this car has 276,000 miles on it why would I buy a 5-6 year battery?"

The brake problems are more than just air in the system, cv27, a vacuum loss at the very least (hiss). Sounds more like a master cylinder problem (soft pedal) which is possibly combined with a small booster issue (normally a hard pedal). Checked the brake fluid level and vac hose to the booster? Maybe the fluid is just dirty, which makes it compressible, which makes for a soft pedal as well. A brake flush would take care of that issue.

• 1 year later...

Took the Edge in because the brakes were stiff and hissing, turns out it was the booster (as all my research had pointed to). Service guy hadn't heard of them going bad on the Edge and was in somewhat disbelief. Had to have one shipped overnight + parts/labor = a whopping $580 http://www.fordedgeforum.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/cry.gif . I guess you can't put a price on brakes or safety, but damn...a vehicle this new?

BTW, I have downloaded the complete FoMoCo service manual for the Edge and will gladly upload a link for you for a small Paypal donation. http://www.fordedgeforum.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/happy.gif

Dj Nap!

I have same problem today but I'm sorry to inform you you didn't have to pay anything. My 2010 for edge has 127k miles no warranty. For dealer ship has recalls on fuel tanks and boost break systems. Called them gave them my vin and got gas tank and booster installed brand new for free. It's free for all edge owners between 2009 and 2013

Ford will pay u back for ur new one if u kept ur records

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2011 Edge limited AWD. I replaced the pads and rotors almost 8 months ago with no problems. Now I'm getting a spongy brake.

Thinking moisture I bled the brakes in RR, LR, RF, LF pattern. No change! Then looking in here see several issues with brakes. Recall 13N02 may be applicable here. Where do I start?

• 1 year later...

Mac, I just had my 2011 in the shop and they told me how long the booster warranty was extended. My memory is starting to go at the ripe old age of 50 so I can't remember the exact mileage but I think it was 10 years/150,000 miles. :)

Do you have any reference for the extension? I have a 2011 also and the brake is hissing and working poorly at slow speeds. Not sure the best way to diagnose or proceed from here. I have just over 100 thousand miles on mine.