Disappointing MPG

valleyview

eventually it'll get a little better. i found if i only drove shorter trips (less than 10 miles it sucked gas BAD) i let it idle waiting for the wife for about 5 minutes and the mpg display went from 23 down to 21 after a 15 mile trip. i would kill it if it's more than a few seconds. (ex. drive thur's like bank, fastfood, etc...) and we quit letting it warm up in the mornings (thank God for seat heaters) it seems to help w/ the mpg. certain gas stations make a big difference as well (you might try a different one)

eventually it'll get a little better. i found if i only drove shorter trips (less than 10 miles it sucked gas BAD) i let it idle waiting for the wife for about 5 minutes and the mpg display went from 23 down to 21 after a 15 mile trip. i would kill it if it's more than a few seconds. (ex. drive thur's like bank, fastfood, etc...) and we quit letting it warm up in the mornings (thank God for seat heaters) it seems to help w/ the mpg. certain gas stations make a big difference as well (you might try a different one)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm not positive, but I don't think any stations around here sell anything better than 15% ethanol. I don't know a single one that sells gas with zero ethanol in it...I might have to look into that since I'm getting about 15-16 MPG in city driving, and I baby it. This is still a tremendous improvement over my old Dakota's 11 MPG though.

We are getting 19.1 mpg, all in town (I live in Phoenix and use surface streets to go to work 12 miles one way) and that is with the wife driving who is always in a hurry to get somewhere. I think this is really good for this vehicle especially since our 2008 Sport Trac was getting 14 mpg in town. The best mpg we ever got in a vehicle was in out 2006 Lexus IS350, that thing got 22 mpg in town and 28 mpg on the freeway.

Ā 

Ā 

I have never had a vehoicle get better fuel mileage as it "breaks in". I think it is a myth

Ā 

I dunno bro. I drove out to Texas 3 days after buying my 2010 new off the lot. When we left we had 250 miles on the clock and like I said in my post, we got 3-4 mpg more coming back with 1800 more miles on the odometer. And now with over 3,000 miles on it, Im getting 22 mpg combined freeway and city driving. The owners manual even states not to calculate fuel mileage until after 3000 miles.

Ā 

I dont know if this proves anything or not, I coulda hit a big tailwind coming back but its interesting.

Edited by MacLeod

Recently purchased a 2010 Limited FWD. After gently breaking it in for a couple of weeks, we took it on an extended trip down south with only 600 km (less than 400 miles) on the odometer. We put about 3000 miles on it, and the gas mileage was fantastic. Admittedly, we cruised on the Interstates at a fairly steady 70 mph, with occasional bursts to 75-80. The trip computer showed an average of close to 30 mpg. Calculating myself, we averaged over 27 mpg. Obviously, I have no complaints whatsoever with our mileage. With shorter trips, we are averaging no worse than 20 mpg. I have been informed that with this engine, our mileage will only improve with time. :-)

2002 Pontiac Firebird WS6, 2004 Dodge Magnum R/t, 2006 Lexus IS350, 2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac V8...I bought all these vehicles new and not one of them ever acheived better fuel mileage after "breaking in"...maybe I'm just not lucky. Out of all of them the Lexus got the best mileage.

Ā 

The wife and I are going to Las Vegas in 2 weeks so I'll be courious to see what the mileage does...although not really expecting much...leaving at night and the Edge loves to do 90.

Edited by L1TECH

• 5 months later...

This is depressing, my Edge is only averaging 13.4 MPG according to the dash display :(

Ā 

Granted, I do live in Hollywood and only do city traffic driving and / or canyon driving through the hills, neither of which is particularly good on mileage. I also never do any highway driving, I don't even take the freeways since I live 5 miles from work. But even with such little mileage I'm still filling up at least once a week. I wasn't expecting it to be this bad, so hopefully it improves!

This is depressing, my Edge is only averaging 13.4 MPG according to the dash display :(

Ā 

Granted, I do live in Hollywood and only do city traffic driving and / or canyon driving through the hills, neither of which is particularly good on mileage. I also never do any highway driving, I don't even take the freeways since I live 5 miles from work. But even with such little mileage I'm still filling up at least once a week. I wasn't expecting it to be this bad, so hopefully it improves!

start and stop city traffic is tough to get good mileage.

Attached are the mileage spreadsheets that I have maintained on my 2008 SEL. The lifetime mileage is 21.4 mpg. That includes city, highway and long trips. The yearly spreadsheets shows that computer mileage versus actual (hand calcuated) mileage on each fillup. The computer mileage has never been close. The best mileage was 30mpg taken two months ago. The worst mileage was 18.2 on the second tank in winter. Not bad for a vehicle that weighs over 4000 pounds. I agree with everyone else that mileage goes south in a hurry when you are in city traffic, bumper to bumper, stop light to stop light with the AC on. Highway travel is great. The tank with 30mpg included a fully loaded Edge with the AC on.

edge summary.doc

edge 2008.doc

edge 2009.doc

edge 2010.doc