Disappointing MPG

valleyview

• 2 weeks later...

2010 Ford Edge SEL FWD. Bought in Ontario on June 14 2010. Currently 28,000 mi and averaging 21.4 mpg (60% highway/40% city driving) using E10. Driving approx. 470 mi per week.

Did nothing special - just scheduled maintenance and normal driving habits. Although it was a big change for me after my 2005 Nissan Sentra (36 mpg).

I heard that if you install a K&N filter you can bump that to 24.7........ :hysterical:

Funniest thing I've heard you say! :lol:

I just ran through a tank with some better MPG now that I've got 2,800 mi on her.

Lifetime is sitting at 18.4MPG but my last tank (actually, half tank) got 20.4 MPG, all of which was city driving at speeds no greater than 55MPH with the average being 25MPH. My mileage is creeping up, but I'm afraid that's also a product of driving with more thoughtful right foot. That instant MPG bar on the left LCD has increased my MPG by just being there.

500 miles on my 2011 Ford Edge FWD. First tank less than 15 mpg. This tank is running at 16 mpg. My 07 Audi Q7 never got less than 19 in the mixed city daily commute and that thing was very heavy. The 4Runner I had before that almost always got 21 mpg mixed. These are mpgs out of the box. No break-in period. So far I am NOT impressed with the mpg. At 70 mph the rpm is around 2K. I would expect much better. Other than a door rattle, a grill out of alignment and a ill fitting third brake light the car has impressed me with how solid it feels.

Got 19.3 (calculated by miles/gal method - not the computer). Computer was reading 20.1mpg on the dash.

Does everyone reset their MPG reading on the dash for each tank? Or do you allow it to persist between tanks?

I reset all my counts every tank - the MPG reader and trip one.

Got 19.3 (calculated by miles/gal method - not the computer). Computer was reading 20.1mpg on the dash.

Does everyone reset their MPG reading on the dash for each tank? Or do you allow it to persist between tanks?

One trip meter (#2) has never been reset and is still showing from-factory numbers. It actually has .1 miles more than my odometer :huh: [shows 18.4MPG]

The other trip meter (#1) is set to commute testing as I 'pause-unpause' to test certain routes to work. [shows 21.8 right now but fluctuates]

The meter that is on the fuel/instant economy screen, I reset with each fill-up. [shows 20.4 right now, but fluctuates as well]

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...