how hard to take the bumper cover off?

accent

I need to take the bumper cover off in order to install a transmission cooler. Any one remove the bumper cover before? How long does it take? TIA!

It's not bad once you figure out what to remove. Takes about 15 minutes once you get started. 3 bolts in each fender well, A couple bolts and 4 scrivets under the hood, then a few pressure clips and small bolts under the cover. I know mine actually had a couple more holding the cover to the splash guard as well. Once all is unscrewed, pull out at the corners near the headlights/fender and it starts coming right off... Taking the cover off was easy compared to replacing the grill.

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

is this similar on the 2011s?

I took mine off to wrap my grille. It's a very easy process. Takes about 10 minutes. First time is a bit scary as you don't exactly know what it's like to pop off the bumper cover.

Here's a blurb I put together to help another member about the 2011 (check the link at the bottom):

I did not have to jack up the vehicle to open the wheel well. There's actually 3 hex screws (7/32" IIRC) or 5.5mm.

I honestly feel that only those 3 would be require to work in this area. BUT since it is so easy to remove the bumper cover, I would pull the whole thing and work on it in my living room or something.

What I did was lay a utility blanket down and pulled off the Bumper Cover and lay it on it's face.

Steps to remove front bumper:

open hood

unscrew 4 plastic screws and remove the 4 anchors ( you'll see what I mean )

loosen the 2 hex screws in front of the anchors (don't remove them)

unscrew and remove the 7/32" fender screws in the wheel well (3 each side)

Look inside the well and locate the screws that are upside down holding the bottom of the bumper cover to the car. (6-8 or so?)

On each side, locate above the wheel well, the area where the fender meets the bumper cover.

Put your fingers inside on the bumper cover and pull it back until it unclips from the fender (it will pop slightly and you might be apprehensive at first. But if made sure to get all the screws, nothing should break.

Also unclip the pigtail for the light bars on both sides.

After you have done both sides and have laid down utility blanket or cardboard, remove the last 2 screws that you loosened in the 3rd step.

At this point, you should be able to lift the whole face off and lay it down. Be careful, as it will have a tendency to fall on its face if just stood up.

Here's the instructions I used. It was for a 07-10 model, but everything is essentially the same:

http://mechanixtrix....x?ArticleId=405

• 1 year later...

I am posting this only because the link in Cellbine's post is down. Don't want to violate any copyrights etc.

Instructions

Remove three screws connecting bumper to inner fender wells on both sides.

07 10 Edge Front Bumper Removal 1

Next step remove screws holding underbody panel to bumper

07 10 Edge Front Bumper Removal 2

Remove 6 plastic screws on top of radiator support

07 10 Edge Front Bumper Removal 3

Pull back inner fender wells and disconnect electrical connectors to fog lamps and running lights

07 10 Edge Front Bumper Removal 4

Now just pull the bumper off starting wher they meet the fenders.

07 10 Edge Front Bumper Removal 5

It seems harder than it is because most people start pulling in the wrong place or try to take more off than they have to.

Reinstall it the same way you removed it.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W
  • Like 1