BRAKE LIGHT BULB QUESTION

Ok, if this question has been dealt with previously I am sorry but couldn"t find the info.

The rear brake/signal/light bulb burnt out (milky white inside of the bulb) and based on the

owners quide book I bought 4157K replacement bulbs.

When I removed the old (factory installed) original bulbs I noticed they are 3157K bulbs.

Yes the socket had mild traces of melting but nothing I would consider a real issue.

So here is my question.... What is the difference between the 3157K and 4157K bulbs?

Can someone shine some light (pun intended) if the 3157K produces less heat than the 4157K?

If I use the 4157K LL (Long Life) will this cause more damage to the socket than the regular 4157K or the

3157K?

I've read the recommendations on using LED replacement bulbs and may consider it for the future. For now

I am going to stick with the regular bulbs. So any enlightning (sorry another pun) info on the 3157 vs 4157

bulb question.

Thanks in advance for any insight :shades:

I was wondering the same. Here is what I found.

3127 draws 2.1 amps (26.8 Watts @ 12.8Vdc) and is rated for 2000 hours

4157 draws 2.3 amps (28.5 Watts @ 12.8Vdc) and is rated for 4000 hours.

200 milliamp and 2000 hours difference.

If you replaced all four with 3127 you would save total about 0.8 amp (<2 watts) on the battery.

What I do not know is what the additional 0.8 amp current does for the 4157 - more heat or more light (lumens)?

Edited by Tribby2001

Do a Search for Stop Lamps there are threads on BURNT lamp sockets,Marty

This one? http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/2594-does-anyone-else-have-burnt-taillight-lamps/

Wow! I'll have to check mine. In the above linked thread there is also a post with a link to a news item about a suspicious MKX fire.

Edited by Tribby2001

This one? http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/2594-does-anyone-else-have-burnt-taillight-lamps/

Wow! I'll have to check mine. In the above linked thread there is also a post with a link to a news item about a suspicious MKX fire.

Thanks for everyones input. A neighbor of mine has a 2008 Edge also so we took at his rear lights.

The bulbs are 3057, unfortunately he didn"t buy new so we have no idea if they are factory installed.

However he has had it for close to a year.

A couple of observations:

The bulbs showed some melting but nothing to drastic

The bulb sockets where brownish but didn"t look like they have melted any

Compared the brigtness to the 4157 bulbs in my Edge and couldn't see any difference

(Mined you we checked during the day and the sun was shining)

I've switched to the 3057 bulbs and will keep an eye on it.

Anyone know if Ford might have gone to the 3057 or 3157 to reduce the melt factor?

Thanks again. :shades: