How To Replace Side Mirror?

Anyone have detailed instructions on how to replace a passenger side mirror in the Edge? I am guessing (hoping) it is as simple as removing the A pillar cover to access the 3 bolts and the power cable but I am not sure, and also don't know how to remove the A pillar cover if thats the way to do it. Can anyone please instruct?

Anyone have detailed instructions on how to replace a passenger side mirror in the Edge? I am guessing (hoping) it is as simple as removing the A pillar cover to access the 3 bolts and the power cable but I am not sure, and also don't know how to remove the A pillar cover if thats the way to do it. Can anyone please instruct?

The cover just "pops" off. Just pull on it, or pry it out with a screwdriver. Three are three bullet-shaped pins that fit into some rubber grommets that hold it on. Then you just unscrew three bolts and unplug the power cable. I'm currently looking for a THIRD replacement mirror assembly. Narrow country roads and mailboxes...what can I say. Damn these mirror assemblies are expensive!

Do you need to replace the entire mirror or just the glass?

I actually figured this out myself. It turned out to be super easy. You just open the door and you will see a plastic/ rubber cover that covers three bolts and the electrical connection for the mirror. Remove the cover, disconnect the electrical, and remove the 3 bolts and the mirror housing comes off. Easiest mirror replacement ever.

The only tricky part was that I replaced the colored part of the new mirror housing(which was beige and I picked up on ebay for $100) with my old one, which remained undamaged. There are 5 clips behind the mirror glass that you have to unclip. I did this with great difficulty without removing the mirror glass itself by creatively using several flathead screw drivers. But in the end i was able to pop it off and putting the original color matched one on was easy. Sure beats the $200 plus labor the dealer wanted to charge me.

• Like 1

I actually figured this out myself. It turned out to be super easy. You just open the door and you will see a plastic/ rubber cover that covers three bolts and the electrical connection for the mirror. Remove the cover, disconnect the electrical, and remove the 3 bolts and the mirror housing comes off. Easiest mirror replacement ever.

The only tricky part was that I replaced the colored part of the new mirror housing(which was beige and I picked up on ebay for $100) with my old one, which remained undamaged. There are 5 clips behind the mirror glass that you have to unclip. I did this with great difficulty without removing the mirror glass itself by creatively using several flathead screw drivers. But in the end i was able to pop it off and putting the original color matched one on was easy. Sure beats the $200 plus labor the dealer wanted to charge me.

Glad you figured it out. The mirror glass itself does come off easily however

• 1 year later...

Glad you figured it out. The mirror glass itself does come off easily however

How do you remove the mirror glass? I need to remove and replace my old colored plastic and put it on the new mirror housing I got on the internet.

If the other guy who removed it using several screw drivers reads this how exactly did you do that?

Thank you

Edited by atceric
  • Like 1

How do you remove the mirror glass? I need to remove and replace my old colored plastic and put it on the new mirror housing I got on the internet.

If the other guy who removed it using several screw drivers reads this how exactly did you do that?

Thank you

It isn't easy to describe without showing you. It'd be easier if you can get the mirror off first. Once the mirror is off, you'll see 5 clips that hold t he colored plastic piece in place. You just push the tip of the screwdriver into the clips to get them to pop them out.

The reason I used several screwdrivers originally is because I couldnt figure out how to get the mirror off first. So I used the second screw driver to push the mirror aside while I wiggled the other in to get the clip to pop. It'll be much easier if you get the mirror off first.

It isn't easy to describe without showing you. It'd be easier if you can get the mirror off first. Once the mirror is off, you'll see 5 clips that hold t he colored plastic piece in place. You just push the tip of the screwdriver into the clips to get them to pop them out.

The reason I used several screwdrivers originally is because I couldnt figure out how to get the mirror off first. So I used the second screw driver to push the mirror aside while I wiggled the other in to get the clip to pop. It'll be much easier if you get the mirror off first.

Thanks man.....do you happen to know how to get the mirror glass of first?

• 1 year later...

Sorry that i was not clear enough, but I want to replace only the glass assembly, not the whole mirror assembly, just to upgrade the glass to the Blind Spotted ones,

BTW the last time I checked around they were around $85.00 each, now they are running for like $220.00 a pair, any idea if there is any place where we can get them cheaper...all dealers around this area have more or less the same price.... :o

Sorry that i was not clear enough, but I want to replace only the glass assembly, not the whole mirror assembly, just to upgrade the glass to the Blind Spotted ones,

BTW the last time I checked around they were around $85.00 each, now they are running for like $220.00 a pair, any idea if there is any place where we can get them cheaper...all dealers around this area have more or less the same price.... :o

Are you referring to the BLISS mirrors which have an amber light come on when a vehicle is in your blind spot? If so, I don't think just replacing the glass in the mirror will enable that feature. Other than the amber light, there is nothing else different between the regular mirror and the BLISS mirror AFAIK. I believe the BLISS works with additional sensors and RF transmitters.

I have the BLISS on my 2013 and do like it.

Push the inside of the mirror in. Then, look behind the glass, through the outside gap that you just made. The plastic piece on the back of the glass snaps onto another plastic piece on the motor. Put a large flat head screwdriver in between and undo the clips. You'll understand more when you see it.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Sorry to bump the old thread but I accidentally clipped my mirror on the garage door frame this evening and then backed back up like an idiot, popped the glass somewhat loose. The mirror seems to have one of the motor clips off (this is a 2011 Edge Ltd, I thought there were 4 clips even though the 2008 manual above shows 3) because it's adjusting slightly funny. Is it OK to try to pop the glass out fully and reattach it? I just don't want to damage it more than it is right now.

Sure look at thread #10 you will see the glass and a motor behind it. Turn mirror inward and with a flathead screwdriver simply get behind the mirror and twist the screwdriver pushing the mirror away from the motor, it should pull the mirror glass away from the motor platform. The mirror glass itself has plastic clips that snap onto the motor platform and by getting the screw driver in between the two and simply twisting the screwdriver the mirror glass will pop away. May have to do on two opposite sides. If you do it wrong at worst you will need to replace the motor (50-60.00) If your mirror is heated you will need to disconnect the wire on the rear of the glass after you remove it

Good luck

Thanks tpm. I went in there and got it to align much better, it's at least servicable right now.

Here's what I ended up with:

1RRc3gts.jpg

(click to embiggen)

It looks like the white plastic clip got broken off--does anyone know if the plastic clips are part of the motor assembly or the glass? This part Motor TO 2/25/11, w/memoryRight is the part I think I need (passenger side, MY 2011 Edge delivered Fall 2010).

The glass is fine so I hope I don't have to buy new glass (heated, with BLIS light) just for one plastic clip. :(

th_Mirrorbacking.jpg

The old mirror with part of the motor still attached. So guess the clips are part of motor assembly

New mirror glass

th_Newmirrorbacking.jpg

You would put a small flathead screwdriver between those raised black extenders on back of mirror and then while twisting the screwdriver the mirror will pry off the mirror motor. Looks like 3 places in picture where you would place the screwdriver

Edited by tpm419419
  • Like 1

No problem Tommy. I found out the hard way. I had a 2007 Edge and wanted to update my mirrors in 2009 I believe when the convex mirror became part of it. My brother who manages an autobody repair shop thought he could pull the mirror glass off and found out the hard way that's not how it's done

Are you sure your brother woek in the repair shop??? :headscratch: Guys to replace the mirrors is a two minutes operation maximum, all you need is a flat screwdriver long enough, and insert it below the plastic, period, factory out, factory in...