How To Replace Side Mirror?

• 1 month later...

Push the inside of the mirror in. Then, look behind the glass, through the outside gap that you just made. The plastic piece on the back of the glass snaps onto another plastic piece on the motor. Put a large flat head screwdriver in between and undo the clips. You'll understand more when you see it.

I have the LH Mirror unit off the vehicle and in my hand, positioned as if on the vehicle. What do you mean by 'Push the inside of the mirror in'? Looking at the mirror in my hand, positioned as if on the vehicle, LT(outside), RT(inside), T(Top), B (Bottom)... does this make sense? Are the clips plastic?

He is saying to move the mirror either using the electric mirror control or by hand so it's tilted in leaving a larger gap on the outside between mirror glass and housing. When you get the flathead screwdriver in position simply rotate the screwdriver causing the mirror glass to come away from the motor. May need 2 or 3 points of contact to totally pop mirror glass off

• 4 months later...

Just reviving this thread to give my thanks for the photos!

Some a$$hole clipped my passenger's (RH) mirror on Saturday while my wife and I were out to dinner (finally got a chance to go out without the kids). Thanks to the information on here I was able to remove the mirror glass in order to replace the body colored cap. The only pieces spared were the mirror cover/cap and my LED puddle light.

Took 10 minutes and $220 (entire mirror) to do the job.

Just reviving this thread to give my thanks for the photos!

Some a$$hole clipped my passenger's (RH) mirror on Saturday while my wife and I were out to dinner (finally got a chance to go out without the kids). Thanks to the information on here I was able to remove the mirror glass in order to replace the body colored cap. The only pieces spared were the mirror cover/cap and my LED puddle light.

Took 10 minutes and $220 (entire mirror) to do the job.

You did not need to get the entire mirror assembly, just the glass, is a lot cheaper, it comes with the plastic back as well...if it is not the one with the blind spot mirror, is even cheaper...mine both cost me like 186, and 160 something the other, for some reason they are different prices always...

BTW IME, if they are compatible getting the lower years sometimes is cheaper even while they are the same part number, I was quoted different prices for 2009 and 2010, not sure but it seems that sometimes the dealers cheat based in the VIN and overprice the most recent models, even while they are the same part number....

Edited by Kanatronic

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2011 Ford Edge, which my daughter tried to make narrower by ripping off the passenger side mirror as she backed out of the garage. Checked with the local Ford dealer, who wanted $363 plus taxes (Canadian dollars), which was for a black one that had to be painted to suit the vehicle colour. I found a used one at a nearby auto wrecker for $175, but it had a black painted cap (cap is the part that is painted to match the body colour). My vehicle is the deep burgundy colour. Replacement was actually very easy. You can access one of the three bolts by just opening the door. There is a panel which you can see by fully opening the door. Carefully pry off the panel, which is held in place by 2 clips. This gives you access to the remaining two bolts and the electrical harness. I removed the old mirror. I was lucky in that the cap on existing damaged mirror was not damaged. There are four clips which hold the cap onto the mirror. I used a long flat head screwdriver to unhook the clips, being careful not to break them, and kept pressure on the cap by pulling it away from the mirror as I unclipped them...you could use another person to help you. The cap just pops off. You can then carefully do the same with the replacement mirror if you have to switch caps to match the vehicle paint colour.

Keep in mind if you are buying the part used from a wrecker that there are many different mirrors (plain, heated, memory, blind spot indictor system (BLIS) as well as combinations of these). You also have to know your vehicle production date as it appears the mirror changed mid-way through the model year. The manufacture date is on the drivers door pillar.

Prior to doing this I checked with a local body shop and was quoted a price of $75-$100 to paint the cap to match the body colour.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hello All, I need to replace my passenger side mirror assembly as it was damaged while backing out the car from my garage. The mirror did not break however the black plastic housing broke. I have a 2011 MKX with blind spot light and memory; assuming the mirror assembly is the same as Edge. The instructions here and the photos are very helpful. I was able to remove the whole mirror assembly; The new one I will be getting from the dealer comes with primer color mirror cover. I need to replace the cover with my existing one to match the body color.

I notice that I need to first remove the mirror glass to access the tabs to remove the mirror cover. I am having tough time understanding where I need to insert the screwdriver to rotate and remove the mirror. I was trying to insert the screwdriver in the red tabs (below picture from tpm419419 updated) to try to loosen up the mirror from the motor, I was unable to remove the mirror. Am I doing it correctly? What are the yellow tabs in the picture?; is this were I need to insert the screwdriver into.

I just want to be completely sure before I try to work this up. I fear that I may end up breaking the mirror :x

Thanks

mirror.jpg

Edited by kiyer11

once the head of the flat screwdriver is in position simply twist the screwdriver as if you are screwing or unscrewing a screw. a little turn of the screwdriver should be enough to pull mirror glass from platform. May need to do 2 or 3 different points to pop out correctly

Hope this helps

• Like 1

From the '07 FSM, hopefully similar to newer MYs:

Removal

1. Position the exterior mirror glass in a downward position to obtain a gap at the top edge of the mirror.
  1. WARNING: Place a shop towel between the exterior mirror glass and the hand to avoid personal injury in case of glass breakage.

Disengage the mirror glass.
    • Insert a flat-blade screwdriver between the mirror glass tabs and the mounting plate and rotate to separate the locking tabs from the mounting plate.
    • Continue to insert and rotate the screwdriver until the remaining mirror glass tabs separate from the mounting plate.
    • Carefully pull the top edge of the glass away from the exterior mirror housing.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Hey guys, sorry to bump an old thread but there are not that many on this topic so here goes...Does anyone know if there is any different wiring in the mirror that is used for BLIS? I had to replace my passenger side mirror because of a hasty back out of my driveway and found the complete assembly via ebay (without BLIS). I purchased it and can either swap out the guts of my existing one (still works just cosmetically damaged) or can I just use the new one and add a BLIS capable mirror as it looks like both mirrors have the same wiring...

TIA for anyone who takes the time to read this..

Yes the glass is different but the connections on the back of the BLIS enabled (the 2 prong) is the same exact placement as the non-BLIS so I am uncertain if it requires special wiring or just uses the same connectors to deliver the BLIS signal..

Thanks for the response though

There's 4 wires for BLiS mirrors (two for the heat and two for the BLIS), if I remember correctly.

You are probably better off swapping your existing mirror internals into your replacement mirror. You will otherwise lose some features.

Thanks! You are correct there are 2 wires for each and now I am stuck figuring out how to swap the internals as the connector housed in the shoulder of the mirror is too large to remove, oh well something to do this weekend....

• 3 weeks later...

I think that trim piece is actually part of the entire cover. There is another posting in detail as how to remove the glass. Actually very simple. But you need to search for the remove mirror glass posting as it will have pictures. The glass sits on a round motorized base with 4 prongs. Each prong is a double prong so eight. Get a medium or narrow flat head screwdriver between those two prongs that sit about 1/4" apart and twist the screwdriver to pop up the glass. Will need to do it in 3 places

Hope it helps

• 1 month later...

My break isn't nearly as bad a Dborg1956, but I have a similar problem. I need just the piece that appears to be a separate trim piece. The dealer says I have to buy a complete mirror assembly for $400+. If it is not available, I'm wondering about gently removing the rest of the trim. The edge of the mirror casing is nicely finished. I'm not sure the purpose of these glued on trim pieces.post-41237-0-43864400-1463619235_thumb.jpegpost-41237-0-06918100-1463619272_thumb.jpeg