How To Replace Side Mirror?

My break isn't nearly as bad a Dborg1956, but I have a similar problem. I need just the piece that appears to be a separate trim piece. The dealer says I have to buy a complete mirror assembly for $400+. If it is not available, I'm wondering about gently removing the rest of the trim. The edge of the mirror casing is nicely finished. I'm not sure the purpose of these glued on trim pieces.attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

EBay is usually a very good source for good used parts. But, looking at your photos, that broken plastic piece doesn't seem to be present in other mirrors! Are sure that is something original? You had your car since new? maybe a previous owner changed it? There are 2 types of mirrors for 2011, early builds had the larger mirror (similar to 2007-2010) while the newer builds got the smaller mirror. Both don't show that extra plastic trim!

Newer type mirror

Old type mirror

• Like 1

This Edge was manufactured in March of 2011 and has newer type mirrors. I bought this car as a Certified Used Car. It had one prior owner and Carfax didn't report any collision damage. An interesting thing about these mirrors is the amount of adhesive showing between the main mirror body and these "trim" pieces. I can't imagine them coming from the factory so sloppy. I've looked at many mirrors on EBay and don't find any that look just like mine. Mine have BLIS, memory, puddle and heat. The previous owner never updated the My Ford Touch software or the navigation SD card so I don't imagine they would go to the trouble to glue a geegaw onto their mirrors. But, who knows? We'll take another trip to the Ford dealer and look at used Edges. It's tempting to remove the trim. Anyone know what might be good to use on black, gummy adhesive? Thank you to members who have responded.

I'm having the same issue with a broken piece of trim on my 2013 Edge. Does anyone know if this trim part can be purchased separately? Having a hard time finding any Edge's or MKZ's in a salvage yard around here.

FullSizeRender

Edited by rldechant

• 7 months later...

Got a 2013 Edge and promptly broke the passenger mirror backing out of the garage. Only the mirror is broken, and it's in a couple of big pieces that are now attractively taped to the housing. Trim, housing, directional parts all working. Can I just replace the mirror? It's the mirror with the blind spot insert, no other features. And does anyone know a part #? I called the dealership and they want $430. I told them it's just the mirror, and they insist I have to replace the whole thing. Pretty sure that's not the case! Thanks for any help.

Got a 2013 Edge and promptly broke the passenger mirror backing out of the garage. Only the mirror is broken, and it's in a couple of big pieces that are now attractively taped to the housing. Trim, housing, directional parts all working. Can I just replace the mirror? It's the mirror with the blind spot insert, no other features. And does anyone know a part #? I called the dealership and they want $430. I told them it's just the mirror, and they insist I have to replace the whole thing. Pretty sure that's not the case! Thanks for any help.

You can change only the mirror glass, if your mirror is heated (p/n: CT4Z17K707C), if not heated (p/n: CT4Z17K707A). You can easily change it yourself.

Check posts 14 & 22 in this thread for how to remove the glass only.

Edited by omar302
  • Like 1