Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

The official Ford authorized Ford Edge Registry is now live. More here!

Photo
- - - - -

Passanger Side Noise

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Micharo

Micharo

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 10:27 PM

I just bought a new 2010 Edge. I noticed that there is noise (almost like a rattling sound) coming from the passanger side. It only happens when I drive on the highway. I only have 2k miles on it and am bringing it back for repair as I can't take the noise. Any suggestions on what to tell them that maybe has worked in the past to fix the problem? My fear is that the problem will never be detected and I wasted my money on another dissapointing Ford product? Thanks.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   MOFSTEEL

MOFSTEEL

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 505 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:15 AM

I just bought a new 2010 Edge. I noticed that there is noise (almost like a rattling sound) coming from the passanger side. It only happens when I drive on the highway. I only have 2k miles on it and am bringing it back for repair as I can't take the noise. Any suggestions on what to tell them that maybe has worked in the past to fix the problem? My fear is that the problem will never be detected and I wasted my money on another dissapointing Ford product? Thanks.

Might be the seat belt rattling against the side panels.
Don't give up on your car just because of one little issue.
Every car will have an issue or two no matter who manufactures it.

Edited by MOFSTEEL, 07 May 2010 - 12:00 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   cyfer

cyfer

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:01 PM

I have the same problem (rattling on the passenger side) and just noticed it a few days ago during highway driving. Please let me know how it turns out...so far my Edge has 3k miles on it.

#4 OFFLINE   Micharo

Micharo

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:51 PM

Might be the seat belt rattling against the side panels.
Don't give up on your car just because of one little issue.
Every car will have an issue or two no matter who manufactures it.

It does not appear to be the seatbelt as it is coming from the passanger side front hood, under the dash and near the mirror. Overall, I really like the car. I do a lot of highway driving and am on the phone so the noise is constant (no background noise like the radio to drown it out).

#5 OFFLINE   Nomos

Nomos

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:09 PM

If it's not something obvious like something loose in your glove box, they might have just left a wire harness or something loose enough to rattle with highway vibration.

#6 OFFLINE   cdowdthedrummer

cdowdthedrummer

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:08 PM

Hi,
did you ever get the rattling fixed and what was it? I just got my wife the Edge and about 500 miles in the rattle started somewhere in the area of the glove compartment. Please let me know. The Edge does this mostly on the highway arounf 50+ Mph and does it even if I let my foot off the accelerator.

Thanks

Edited by cdowdthedrummer, 13 June 2010 - 07:20 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   L1TECH

L1TECH

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 136 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:37 PM

ANother person joined just to complain and then leave....typical.

#8 OFFLINE   1duFos

1duFos

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 164 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:25 AM

ANother person joined just to complain and then leave....typical.

I had a rattle behind the driver, back door area. Pounded my fist against the door panels etc, now no rattle, might return when it gets a little colder, might be a temperature effect the plastic issue? If all fails get the hammers out and threaten the area, it might see sense

#9 OFFLINE   StrongWind

StrongWind

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:24 PM

I also have a new 2010 Edge SEL with a rattle coming from the front passenger side.
Don't notice it until you drive on the highway (65 MPH +). Obviously something affected by the wind across the hood/windshield.
Going to spend a few days on the highway - will get my spouse to drive while I push/pull/knock around to see if I can locate it.

It's a kinda odd noise - thinking there might be something in the A pillar - or maybe a piece of moulding/panel by the wipers that may have come loose.

Will let y'all know what I come up with by the end of the month.

Stay tuned! SW

#10 OFFLINE   cdowdthedrummer

cdowdthedrummer

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:31 PM

I also have a new 2010 Edge SEL with a rattle coming from the front passenger side.
Don't notice it until you drive on the highway (65 MPH +). Obviously something affected by the wind across the hood/windshield.
Going to spend a few days on the highway - will get my spouse to drive while I push/pull/knock around to see if I can locate it.

It's a kinda odd noise - thinking there might be something in the A pillar - or maybe a piece of moulding/panel by the wipers that may have come loose.

Will let y'all know what I come up with by the end of the month.

Stay tuned! SW

Okay great. I did the same thing: I had my wife drive the car while I checked different areas. It is really hard to tell where it's coming from because I thought the same thing about the crosswind. Let me know what you come up with. If I get mine straightened out I will post how it was fixed. Thanks for your reply.

Edited by cdowdthedrummer, 14 June 2010 - 10:31 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• 10,171 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 02:19 PM

Make sure it's not just a loose sun visor. Happens to me all the time and every time I think the rattle is coming from somewhere else, then I remember to check the visor.

#12 OFFLINE   StrongWind

StrongWind

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 02:55 PM

Make sure it's not just a loose sun visor. Happens to me all the time and every time I think the rattle is coming from somewhere else, then I remember to check the visor.

I'll give the visor a check - But I don't think it's from the visor.

The noise seems to be affected by "wind"/"direction"/"speed"....
I can drive one way on the highway at speed (wind quartering into the front of the Edge) - it makes the noise.
When I turn around and drive the opposite direction on the highway, I can't seem to make it produce the noise at the same speed...
Might try some experiments with tape on the exterior moldings...

#13 OFFLINE   cdowdthedrummer

cdowdthedrummer

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:05 PM

I'll give the visor a check - But I don't think it's from the visor.

The noise seems to be affected by "wind"/"direction"/"speed"....
I can drive one way on the highway at speed (wind quartering into the front of the Edge) - it makes the noise.
When I turn around and drive the opposite direction on the highway, I can't seem to make it produce the noise at the same speed...
Might try some experiments with tape on the exterior moldings...

Yea it's not coming from that area, but I will still give it a listen. I appreciate everyone's input on this so any input is great. Everyone is very helpful. Again, if I find the problem on my end I will post it for everyone. Thanks again......

#14 OFFLINE   cyfer

cyfer

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:17 PM

I brought my Edge to the dealer a few weeks back and they couldn't find anything wrong even after they drove my car for 15 miles on the highway.

I haven't noticed any rattling after that time though.

#15 OFFLINE   cdowdthedrummer

cdowdthedrummer

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:37 PM

Okay, I have an update. I emailed another member on here and they told me what the dealer found on their car. Seemed to be the plastic under the wheel well that is clipped in was a little loose. Well I had some foam material that I temporarily put behind the plastic in the wheel well near the clips and it stopped the noise. It did sound like it was coming from the windshield area, but it was the wheel well plastic. The clips werejust lose enough to cause this rattle. There is no way to tighten the exisiting clips so I am assuming they will use different ones or put a rubber gromet behind each clip. We'll see I guess. I am going to the dealer tomorrow, Thursday, so I will post the fix. Thank you everyone for all of your input.

#16 OFFLINE   StrongWind

StrongWind

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 12:36 PM

Okay, I have an update. I emailed another member on here and they told me what the dealer found on their car. Seemed to be the plastic under the wheel well that is clipped in was a little loose. Well I had some foam material that I temporarily put behind the plastic in the wheel well near the clips and it stopped the noise. It did sound like it was coming from the windshield area, but it was the wheel well plastic. The clips werejust lose enough to cause this rattle. There is no way to tighten the exisiting clips so I am assuming they will use different ones or put a rubber gromet behind each clip. We'll see I guess. I am going to the dealer tomorrow, Thursday, so I will post the fix. Thank you everyone for all of your input.

COOL!

I'll bet that is the noise I'm hearing....it makes sense.

Had a similar noise issue with my 2001 F150. Ended up being the Ford accessory front splash guard - one of the plastic "rivits" was loose causing a hard to find noise up front.

Will go push around the fender well plastic next time I see the Edge.

Thanks!

#17 OFFLINE   cdowdthedrummer

cdowdthedrummer

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 05:14 PM

Update! Okay brought it to the dealer today and the manager asked me to come out and show the tech where the problem was. I went out to the shop and showed him one of the clips in the wheel well plastic and one on underneath the car holding the back of the front wheel well plastic. That one was very loose. He replaced the clips and it tightened right up. Drove 40 minutes home and went out again later today with no noise! Other than minor issues my wife and I love these cars! Thank you everyone for your help and enjoy the Edge. I also want to thank Micharo for the help.

#18 OFFLINE   dasher

dasher

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:30 AM

I can't wait to get home and look in the wheel well. I'm experiencing the same noise that started last week coming from the from passenger side everytime I went over a bump at highway speeds. I was going to have my fiancee drive around while I looked for the source, but I bet it's from the wheel well. I did wash the car last Friday and squirted the hose up in there, and this is about when the noise started. I let everyone know how it turns out.

#19 OFFLINE   StrongWind

StrongWind

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:20 PM

UPDATE: 25 June 2010

Got a chance to drive the Edge for a few days on the highway - The noise started to appear around 60 MPH+.

Confirmed what cdowdthedrummer posted (thanks!)
The "splash shield" inside the wheel well was a little "loose". It's held in place with some plastic push grommet things. Couldn't figure out a way to "tighten" them up while on the road, so I stopped in a dollar store and picked up a package of kitchen sponges. Squeezed one behind the splash guard and wheel well to keep the splash shield from "moving".

Noise stopped. Edge is quiet as a church. :)

Will have the dealer look at it next time I take it in.

Thanks for the help!

#20 OFFLINE   dasher

dasher

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:34 PM

Update 6-27-2010

I played around with the fasteners in the front passenger side wheel well and noticed some were a bit loose. I gave all of them a little push before leaving on vacation where I put 650+ miles on the Edge and didn't here the rattling anymore!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users