Oil Change 2010

1duFos

Hi,

very good topic, because latest in 2000km i am going to change the oil, too.

How i just found in forum...it is very recommendable to go with the manual and to use 5w20...not other versions. I will follow that...

But i have some questions anyway.

Somewhere in tech. data of Eddie i found the engine oil displacement of 5.5 quart. guess that means quart liq. that leads to 5.5 x 0.946 = 5.203 Liters (1,37 gallons).

Is that quantity exactly necessary (or even more) or is a standard 5Liters standard canister enough?

My dealer recommends oil change all 20.000km (12500mi). Do you agree? Think i read here something about 7500mi (12000km).

What would you recommend how often to change the transmission oil?

Thanks in advance

Greets

Marc

Edited by Marccom

Hi,

very good topic, because latest in 2000km i am going to change the oil, too.

How i just found in forum...it is very recommendable to go with the manual and to use 5w20...not other versions. I will follow that...

But i have some questions anyway.

Somewhere in tech. data of Eddie i found the engine oil displacement of 5.5 quart. guess that means quart liq. that leads to 5.5 x 0.946 = 5.203 Liters (1,37 gallons).

Is that quantity exactly necessary (or even more) or is a standard 5Liters standard canister enough?

My dealer recommends oil change all 20.000km (12500mi). Do you agree? Think i read here something about 7500mi (12000km).

What would you recommend how often to change the transmission oil?

Thanks in advance

Greets

Marc

Ours takes the full 5.5 quarts, I'm not gonna take the time to covert to liters (lol) but I usually buy a 5 Qt. jug of oil and buy another single quart and pour half of it in. That way you have half a quart to top off if you need any or for the next oil change.

Going 12,500 miles is a long time in my opinion. Not sure what they recommend in the owners manual (I think 7500 miles) I think I'd stick with that. Since we barely drive ours 10,000 or less miles a year I change it once in the spring and once in the fall, about a 5000 mile interval and I use full-synthetic Mobil 1 5W-20. Obviously talking oil life, synthetic vs. factory Motorcraft semi-synthetic, etc opens up a whole mess of debate and thats not what I'm trying to do. Just telling you what I personally do with my oil change interval.

I got our trans fluid changed at 30,000 miles and will do it again at 60k, 90k, etc. May be overkill but again thats just what I do. Again, I would stick with whatever the owners manual suggests but it certainly doesn't hurt to do it more frequently.

Hi klc317,

thanks for your recommendations.

I think that all is sounding quite reasonable.

Guess i will hold it with that matters similar.

The calculation with quarts and Liters is because i am from Germany. And engine oil is sold here in 1.0, 5.0 and 20 Liters canisters...but qts are quite similar (1quart = 0,946Liters) So i will buy one 5 Liter and 1 Liter canister, too.

Thanks again for infos.

Greets from Germany

Marc

Hi klc317,

thanks for your recommendations.

I think that all is sounding quite reasonable.

Guess i will hold it with that matters similar.

The calculation with quarts and Liters is because i am from Germany. And engine oil is sold here in 1.0, 5.0 and 20 Liters canisters...but qts are quite similar (1quart = 0,946Liters) So i will buy one 5 Liter and 1 Liter canister, too.

Thanks again for infos.

Greets from Germany

Marc

Marc - the only way to be sure is to put in 5 litres, then check the level and add oil as needed to bring it up to the full line. Make sure you wait a few minutes after turning off the engine so that the oil has time to drain back into the pan.