Not much air coming from vents

My girlfriend has a 2007 Edge that she got a few weeks back. When the blower motor is turned on high, the sound is about right (it sounds like it is turning fast and moving lots of air) but very little air comes from the vent. On high it is like most cars on low. I thought there might be some blockage, but I would think it would only make one or two vents blow less air, but all of them are equal. Anyone have a problem like this? Could it be a clogged cabin air filter? The air flow is low when the system is set to intake air from the outside or to recirculate and when temp is set to hot or cold. Thanks.

My girlfriend has a 2007 Edge that she got a few weeks back. When the blower motor is turned on high, the sound is about right (it sounds like it is turning fast and moving lots of air) but very little air comes from the vent. On high it is like most cars on low. I thought there might be some blockage, but I would think it would only make one or two vents blow less air, but all of them are equal. Anyone have a problem like this? Could it be a clogged cabin air filter? The air flow is low when the system is set to intake air from the outside or to recirculate and when temp is set to hot or cold. Thanks.

Sounds like a clogged cabin air filter. It's behind the glove box.

I would change the cabin filter behind the glove box as akirby suggested. You will not find the air filter in most auto parts stores. Your best bet is to buy from a Ford dealer or purchase over the internet. I found a site in this forum where I bought two filters online for what one would have cost from the dealer.

The A/C system on the 2007 & 2008 Edge was a design disaster. From what I have read on other posts, this was corrected for the 2009 on models. There should be decent flow on the passenger side but you will find the flow is not good on the drivers side. You would think that as long as Ford has been putting A/C into cars it would be hard to screw up but they somehow managed. I guess we all have our off days or in their case years.

Other than the A/C she should love her Edge. I have a 2008 and it is a great vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...

I would change the cabin filter behind the glove box as akirby suggested. You will not find the air filter in most auto parts stores. Your best bet is to buy from a Ford dealer or purchase over the internet. I found a site in this forum where I bought two filters online for what one would have cost from the dealer.

The A/C system on the 2007 & 2008 Edge was a design disaster. From what I have read on other posts, this was corrected for the 2009 on models. There should be decent flow on the passenger side but you will find the flow is not good on the drivers side. You would think that as long as Ford has been putting A/C into cars it would be hard to screw up but they somehow managed. I guess we all have our off days or in their case years.

Other than the A/C she should love her Edge. I have a 2008 and it is a great vehicle.

The filter element is a fairly flimsy and open pored fabric filter - since it looks just like the element in my computer chassis I simply rinsed mine in the sink and reinstalled.

Still don't get a lot of air flow myself.

The filter element is a fairly flimsy and open pored fabric filter - since it looks just like the element in my computer chassis I simply rinsed mine in the sink and reinstalled.

Still don't get a lot of air flow myself.

So what can we do to our 07'-08' Edges to retro over the A/C concern to the new level?

New blower motor? New ductwork?

Today it was 94 degrees here in Houston and my '08 edge sat in the sun for over and hour. The A/C system had no trouble cooling off the vehicle's interior and it vwas all done in the "Automatic" setting--- I don't know what the problem is with your system, but mine works OK---

What changes were done to the '09 that makes it work better?

I just bought a new 2010 Edge yesterday, and I have the same problem. In fact, I joined this forum to see if it's a common problem. I have pretty much the base vehicle with manual AC, and my kids are sweating in the back seat due to the lack of air flow from the vents. Is there any fix for this problem?

I just bought a new 2010 Edge yesterday, and I have the same problem. In fact, I joined this forum to see if it's a common problem. I have pretty much the base vehicle with manual AC, and my kids are sweating in the back seat due to the lack of air flow from the vents. Is there any fix for this problem?

That's odd, our 2010 a/c cranks in the back seat.

Today it was 94 degrees here in Houston and my '08 edge sat in the sun for over and hour. The A/C system had no trouble cooling off the vehicle's interior and it vwas all done in the "Automatic" setting--- I don't know what the problem is with your system, but mine works OK---

What changes were done to the '09 that makes it work better?

I have not been in a 2009 or later Edge but from what I have read in other posts on this site, Ford changed the size and design of the supply lines under the dash to provide more balance from the vents and stronger air flow. You can search this topic on in this forum and see many complaints on the A/C for 2007 & 2008.

I was traveling last week and rented a 2010 Escape in south Texas. I was amazed at the air flow. The air flow in my 2008 Edge on Max air, recirculating, and fan on high was the equivalent of the Escape's fan speed of 2 out of 6. If you cranked the speed up to 6 there was so much air blowing it was like having the window down. That's what I call A/C!

• 5 weeks later...

I have the same problem with my 2008 Limited AWD, the driver side center vent blows very little and the passenger side gets all the air. I took it to the dealer and they verified that this is a design flaw and well known. So, I went to Tap Plastics and crafted a vent redirector that goes over the passenger center vent and redirects it to the driver. I also put a few slots in it so the passenger still gets some air. It doesn't look the best, but I am cool now in the summer!

I have the same problem with my 2008 Limited AWD, the driver side center vent blows very little and the passenger side gets all the air. I took it to the dealer and they verified that this is a design flaw and well known. So, I went to Tap Plastics and crafted a vent redirector that goes over the passenger center vent and redirects it to the driver. I also put a few slots in it so the passenger still gets some air. It doesn't look the best, but I am cool now in the summer!

I work at a Ford dealership, and am also aware of this concern - anyone with this problem should contact the dealer, and reference "Customer Satisfaction Program #09M04" and see if their vehicle can be repaired at no charge, under the program.

I work at a Ford dealership, and am also aware of this concern - anyone with this problem should contact the dealer, and reference "Customer Satisfaction Program #09M04" and see if their vehicle can be repaired at no charge, under the program.

You'll have to come up with a different number--- the one you state is for the cooling system/ radiator problem-- according to my Ford dealer------

Tha number is indeed for corrosion in the cooling sytem that leads to heater core restriction...I've had to repair a few of these.

Correct, it's basically a cooling system flush that cleans out your heater core, which is supposed to increase air flow out of your vents.

Correct, it's basically a cooling system flush that cleans out your heater core, which is supposed to increase air flow out of your vents.

Somewhere along the way, I lost it--- how does restricted coolant flow in a heater core affect air flow on the outside of the core?--- And just through the driver's center vent???? :sos:

It doesn't. It is impossible for a internally clogged heater core to restrict the flow of air coming out the vents. Now if the outside of the heater core were plugged that would be a different story but this bulletin, or whatever you want to call it, specifically adresses poor heat output...not poor airflow from the vents, Phoeber is confusing this with something else. FWIW my 2k10 ac system is the best ac system I have had in a vehicle in terms of cooling down the cabin since I got rid of my Lexus, that's saying alot especially since it's been 110 here on a regular basis lately and will be for the next 2 months. The only gripe I have is the placement of the vents, the one to the right of the steering wheel is basically useless for the driver since the steering wheel blocks the air coming from it. I find it odd that they placed it here because the main design purpose of the ac system is to keep the passengers upper body, especially the head, cool. If your head is hot or cold than your brain kind of blocks out what the rest of teh body is feeling...this is no B.S. I spent 2 weeks in an automotive ac system design class and was amazed to learn this

It doesn't. It is impossible for a internally clogged heater core to restrict the flow of air coming out the vents. Now if the outside of the heater core were plugged that would be a different story but this bulletin, or whatever you want to call it, specifically adresses poor heat output...not poor airflow from the vents, Phoeber is confusing this with something else. FWIW my 2k10 ac system is the best ac system I have had in a vehicle in terms of cooling down the cabin since I got rid of my Lexus, that's saying alot especially since it's been 110 here on a regular basis lately and will be for the next 2 months. The only gripe I have is the placement of the vents, the one to the right of the steering wheel is basically useless for the driver since the steering wheel blocks the air coming from it. I find it odd that they placed it here because the main design purpose of the ac system is to keep the passengers upper body, especially the head, cool. If your head is hot or cold than your brain kind of blocks out what the rest of teh body is feeling...this is no B.S. I spent 2 weeks in an automotive ac system design class and was amazed to learn this

That's why those neck coolers that are soaked in water work so well--- Keep the blood cool in the neck and you will feel cooler all over. :yup:

Funny thing is I test drove a 2010 today to see if I liked it. Hot as hell outside, cranked up the A/C and ""WHAT"" is this...seems like they forgot a blower speed on the system. Mind you, this was a brand-spanking-new Edge with 20+ miles on it. Tried to readjust the vents, crank the temp down on the auto A/C, but nothing happened. Will it stop me from buying my 2011 Sport? Hell no. But the wife's $20k 2010 Mustang blows harder and colder than the Edge.....hell so does my Raptor.

Personally I think they had some left over Pinto A/C systems that they were dying to get rid of. :)

Funny thing is I test drove a 2010 today to see if I liked it. Hot as hell outside, cranked up the A/C and ""WHAT"" is this...seems like they forgot a blower speed on the system. Mind you, this was a brand-spanking-new Edge with 20+ miles on it. Tried to readjust the vents, crank the temp down on the auto A/C, but nothing happened. Will it stop me from buying my 2011 Sport? Hell no. But the wife's $20k 2010 Mustang blows harder and colder than the Edge.....hell so does my Raptor.

Personally I think they had some left over Pinto A/C systems that they were dying to get rid of. :)

I drive an 08 SEL - now 26000 miles - really enjoy the Edge but the AC vents could be more effective. Drove an 08 Taurus-X (same engine layout as Edge) and was surprised how cool and powerful the dash AC vents were. I was wondering if anyone has had to recharge the AC system refrigerant in their Edge....? Maybe this is a 30K mile check point at Ford?

I couldn't agree with you more. What is it with Ford's HVAC engineer assigned to the Edge that he/she can't figure out most of us are spoiled to good A/C :finger: It will be interesting to see if there is any hope on the 2011 models.

I have put together a diverter that fits into the drivers side air vent that concentrates the air and provides a stronger flow. As soon as my mechanical engineer son refines it I will post some pics.

• 3 weeks later...

THANK YOU ALL...it was the cabin air filter right behind the glove box...followed the instructions given and voila...it was completely

clogged, cleaned it out, replaced it, and it's blowing normal once again...THANK YOU ALL.

My wife and I test drove the 2010 Ford Edge. We live in Dallas, TX. It was 100 degrees out and the vehicles had been sitting in the hot sun. After a 20 minute test drive with the AC cranked on high the entire time, the front seat temp was tolerable, but when we parked the vehicle and left it running, we hopped in the back. It was way too hot to be comfortable and the rear vents were on full blast. Having test drove the same vehicle early in the morning, we were ready to buy. After this experience with the AC - and the poor ability of the vents to redirect air around the cabin - we decided to leave the dealership. I am hopeful they fixed this issue in the 2011 model, as I've seen the interior pictures and they have changed the vents (thank God). But this is Ford's last chance... we were considering the 2011 Explorer, but since that won't hit the street until January (2010 Explorer just gets too poor of gas mileage) - it's down to the Ford Edge -vs- Honda Pilot. The Pilot already has the green light, but I really want to buy a vehicle from an American company. If they fixed the AC issue, we're good to go. If not... sorry Ford, I want to buy American, but I'm not willing to buy a sub-par vehicle for my environment.

For what it's worth, we told the dealership about our AC concerns. They brought a different Edge around to ensure it wasn't an issue with the one vehicle. We experienced the same exact results. The AC unit and the fans were grossly underpowered for hot Texas summer days.

Brian

Edited by lh_newbie

• 3 months later...

The AC unit and the fans were grossly underpowered for hot Texas summer days.

In case someone reads this thread & wonders later... the A/C on the 2011 model is fantastic!! I live in deep south Texas (right on the border), and I'm thrilled with it. Plenty of cold & plenty of blowing in the right places... couldn't be happier.