Hood Rust

CorporateEdge

My 2008 Edge impressed me when I got it. Thought Ford has really turned the corner and I was glad I got the Edge after avoiding Ford for years. Not so impressed now.

97,000 kilometers and I noticed the paint was bubbling up rather badly along the edge of the hood by the windshield. The rust extends about half the width of the hood and is very noticeable. Took it to the Ford body shop and the manager took one look and said not covered by the warranty. I asked for a clarification as the quick reference card in the owners kit says 5 years on corrosion. They produced the fine print. Corrosion only includes rusting where there is a hole. Anything else is 3 years or 60,000 kilometers.

To be blunt, this is BS. The rust is not caused by stone chips or any other sort of damage. It is rust UNDER the surface of the paint, likely due to bad prep or bad priming at the plant. The way they just blew it off in about 1 minute (no longer) really put me off. As it is a fleet car I will let it rust away and turn it in. No way am I getting it fixed on our tab. If it was my own car I would be getting Ford involved as a 2.5 year old car should not have this problem. Our 8 year old Honda Van hasn't got a spec of rust on it even with various dings, chips etc..

I had bought in to all the hype Ford has been selling about quality, customer care etc.. This experience basically moved them back in to the pack in terms of product quality and customer care. Saved about 300-400 in shop cost but won't be selling me (or anyone I can talk to ) another Ford vehicle. :banghead:

I had similar. Found it in opening week, they replaced my ENTIRE hood. It was a spot, drivers side tip/edge just under the lip with 0 paint. So, I got mine early.

BUT, search these forums as there are MANY topics about people, including myself, finding thin spots of little to no primer or paint or only primer with no paint, etc. Maybe print some of these out and go back and show it is a pretty known issue that, as much as many of us love these rigs, they have some of the weakest paint jobs I have ever seen and many areas are susceptible to this as they never got paint and primer for example. or primer and no paint so maybe no clear coat. I have also had clear coat in my fender wells redone by the dealing as it chipped off.

• 3 months later...

I had similar. Found it in opening week, they replaced my ENTIRE hood. It was a spot, drivers side tip/edge just under the lip with 0 paint. So, I got mine early.

BUT, search these forums as there are MANY topics about people, including myself, finding thin spots of little to no primer or paint or only primer with no paint, etc. Maybe print some of these out and go back and show it is a pretty known issue that, as much as many of us love these rigs, they have some of the weakest paint jobs I have ever seen and many areas are susceptible to this as they never got paint and primer for example. or primer and no paint so maybe no clear coat. I have also had clear coat in my fender wells redone by the dealing as it chipped off.

• 1 year later...

I have a 2009 Edge with rust blistering on upper rear inside seam of "both" rear doors. Contacted Ford, sent to dealer. Dealer said it would not be covered because it is not a perforation, but agreed to send in pictures and paperwork anyway. I had to call back to find out decision was no coverage. I called Ford service 800 number and talked to a supervisor, Cindy. She acknowledged I had a problem, but said it was not covered because of perforation. I said thats like being diagnosed with Cancer Stage 1, and having the Doctor tell you he cant work on it until it reaches Stage 4. There is not another spot of rust on the car. Its not one rear door but both, and both in the same place! This has to be an assembly or painting problem (ecoat primer should have gotten into these spots on the car doors). I told Cindy that I cant see buying another Ford (I also have owned an F-150) if this quality issue is not resolved. She quickly said there are many choices out there and Ford does not care. I have one more year on the "perforation warranty" and if it does not perforate my tough luck. It will eventually rust through on the inside of the door and the outside. I have basically liked my Edge (original Hankook tires wore out at 30k miles and I have rotor warpage at 60K miles), and had even thought of buying a new Edge or Explorer. Not likely now. They used to build cars like this, but with 2 side galvanized and ecoat primer it should be a thing of the past. Jim Farley may want everyone to know of Fords improved quality, but this is not it.

• 9 months later...

2010 Edge, Major crap!!! I have never seen anything like it on a car this new. Already had the rear bumper replaced twice cause it wont quit warping on top, there is no paint on the bottom side of the hood across the front and it's rusting through, there is no paint in spots on the bottom of the doors and theres more orange peel in the paint on this thing than the Florida orange groves. The front bumper looks like its been sandblasted, its solid chips. And I just replaced the three year old battery that should of lasted at least 6 years.All this in 40,000 miles, I cant believe I spent 35,000 on this jem. Sorry Ford, never again.

Living in a nasty salt belt, I always rust-proof and undercoat my vehicles myself. That said, it is ridiculous that Ford does not do enough during the building process to prevent early rust issues. The rolled seams on doors, tailgates and hoods will always rust if not rust-proofed properly.

• 1 year later...

I have a 2010 Ford Edge Limited. I just noticed Rust on the front edge of the Hood. There was no paint chip there, but the paint started blistering & cracking.

I have actually paid for the Dealer Sold Rust Protection, as well as the Dealer Sold Electronic Box that is supposed to protect from rust. AND I even stepped up for the Premium Care Extended Warranty (which apparently doesn't cover rust at all). According to everyone that I've talked to, (My dealer Service Dept., My sales rep, & Ford Customer Relations), Rust is not covered after the 3yr bumper to bumper has expired, UNLESS it is Perforated.

So here I am with a slightly over 3 year old vehicle that is going to have UGLY rust on the Front of the Hood, and FORD will do nothing about it.

I just don't get the point of this unless it's happening a lot. All this will accomplish is to have people like me, Trash Talking the Ford name. It will prevent me from ever buying another FORD, and it will most like influence everyone I talked to in the same manner.

I paid EVERYTHING that Ford offered to protect from rust, and now in 3 short years, I have rust & they are not willing to fix it.

The extra sad part is, that apparently I am covered for 10 years with a perforation warranty, so my only hope will be to NOT FIX IT, until it perforates, because it will perforate before the 10 years is up. Now I will be driving a Blatent advertisement for "RUSTING FORDS" for however long it takes to perforate.

Boo Hiss Ford

• Like 1

I must have the only Edge with good paint. I have no rust yet. I was looking at the bottom of the hood and noticed the rubber weather striping that makes contact with the entire edge of the hood on all four sides. That alone traps the moisture from rain up against the pinch seams. I was looking at it and thought to myself that will rust.

I have a 2010 Ford Edge Limited. I just noticed Rust on the front edge of the Hood. There was no paint chip there, but the paint started blistering & cracking.

I have actually paid for the Dealer Sold Rust Protection, as well as the Dealer Sold Electronic Box that is supposed to protect from rust. AND I even stepped up for the Premium Care Extended Warranty (which apparently doesn't cover rust at all). According to everyone that I've talked to, (My dealer Service Dept., My sales rep, & Ford Customer Relations), Rust is not covered after the 3yr bumper to bumper has expired, UNLESS it is Perforated.

So here I am with a slightly over 3 year old vehicle that is going to have UGLY rust on the Front of the Hood, and FORD will do nothing about it.

I just don't get the point of this unless it's happening a lot. All this will accomplish is to have people like me, Trash Talking the Ford name. It will prevent me from ever buying another FORD, and it will most like influence everyone I talked to in the same manner.

I paid EVERYTHING that Ford offered to protect from rust, and now in 3 short years, I have rust & they are not willing to fix it.

The extra sad part is, that apparently I am covered for 10 years with a perforation warranty, so my only hope will be to NOT FIX IT, until it perforates, because it will perforate before the 10 years is up. Now I will be driving a Blatent advertisement for "RUSTING FORDS" for however long it takes to perforate.

Boo Hiss Ford

I understand your frustrations, FamiliarFaces. If you'd like, I'm able to document product feedback on your Edge. Let me know if this is something you're interested in and we'll go from there.

Todd

• 3 months later...

Was hoping for better news when researching this. Found blistering on our 2010 Edge hood.

Will contact dealer but if what I'm reading here is right, I'll be disappointed again.

Edge layout is great but poorly executed. Shouldn't be worrying about mechanics or rust on a 4 yr old vehicle in 2014! Already had to service/replace the panaroof motor, battery, and if my ears hear things right I'm looking at wheel bearings as well.

Really like the look of the mustang convertible but with manufacturer not standing behind product, why would I bother.

Was hoping for better news when researching this. Found blistering on our 2010 Edge hood.

Will contact dealer but if what I'm reading here is right, I'll be disappointed again.

Edge layout is great but poorly executed. Shouldn't be worrying about mechanics or rust on a 4 yr old vehicle in 2014! Already had to service/replace the panaroof motor, battery, and if my ears hear things right I'm looking at wheel bearings as well.

Really like the look of the mustang convertible but with manufacturer not standing behind product, why would I bother.

Hey Van G,

I sent you a response to your inquiry via PM. Please check your inbox and have a wonderful day! :)

Tricia

Received your PM, Tricia. Will give Canada CS a call. Thank you.

Dealer body shop manager confirmed what has been written here and added that it is a 'dumb' policy.

How can you produce a vehicle at this point in time and not stand behind it? How about producing something that doesn't rust in the first 8-10 years like most of the competition?

• 2 months later...

Just an update: I've gone through the dealer channel and Ford Canada has denied the corrosion warranty twice (original and appeal).

The body shop manager pointed out that both rust points started on the inside of the seam. The tail gate could be serviced to resolve. The hood was quoted to be replaced since he couldn't access the interior portion of the rust.

I've got a long laundry list of issues with this vehicle now: wheel bearing, chrome rim edge corrosion, check park aid, gas cap warning

I'll be moving forward with legal on the corrosion issue and will document here and fb.

• 1 month later...

I have an 08 Edge Limited purchased new and noticed rust on the rolled edge of the passenger rear door a few weeks ago. I've got one payment left on the 72 month financing. This week I washed it and noticed a small bump on the outside of the front edge of the hood. I popped the hood and noticed the underside of the front edge has a lot of rust showing. Very disppointing. I also have an 08 Infiniti G35x and there is nothing like this. Also have an 04 Volvo S60 with 170K miles that has a few dents but no rust. I really thought the US manufacturers had kicked this problem, but it seems some old bean counter habits are still there.

I have not talked to my dealer yet but it really makes me think twice about another Ford. Too bad because it's been an excellent vehicle othewise.

post-32817-0-69516500-1414636249_thumb.jpg

post-32817-0-97845200-1414636274_thumb.jpg

I'm sure the salt is a major factor. But all of my other vehicles are the same age or older. I have had others as well that went many more years without showing anything. I'm guessing its a combination of inadequate pre-treatment and not enough paint.

I have an 08 Edge Limited purchased new and noticed rust on the rolled edge of the passenger rear door a few weeks ago. I've got one payment left on the 72 month financing. This week I washed it and noticed a small bump on the outside of the front edge of the hood. I popped the hood and noticed the underside of the front edge has a lot of rust showing. Very disppointing. I also have an 08 Infiniti G35x and there is nothing like this. Also have an 04 Volvo S60 with 170K miles that has a few dents but no rust. I really thought the US manufacturers had kicked this problem, but it seems some old bean counter habits are still there.

I have not talked to my dealer yet but it really makes me think twice about another Ford. Too bad because it's been an excellent vehicle othewise.

My hood is rusting in a similar fashion. The corrosion started on the inside of the seam. Dealer acknowledged that it was a poor prep/prime/paint and submitted to Ford for hood replacement because its something they couldn't access to correct.

Ford denied the repair claim and appeal.

I'm in the process of putting together my case for consideration by courts and SM.

• 1 year later...

I have a 2011 Ford Edge Limited. Noticed some bubbling on the rear fender well. Long story short, after contacting Ford, Ohio State Attorney General......Nothing, Ford would not cover the problem. Checked the cost to repair it......$990 and that is just to fix and not replace anything! Told Ford this is my last vehicle I will purchase from them!!