Air Conditioning condensation

pete_s

My '07 Edge began dripping water onto my feet yesterday on a long hot drive. There is no condensation dripping from under the car like normal. When I make a sharp turn or brake hard, you can hear water sloshing under the console/dash. I have tried to locate the condensation drain, but cannot find it. Any help?

OK, so I finally found the drain. after looking all over the firewall, etc. I went back to searching online and found the answer on (of all things) wikipedia. On the Edge, it's located in the tunnel under the console. If you pull back the carpeting to the right of the gas pedal, you'll see the plastic fitting. Underneath the car, it is not immediately visible. It's behind the exhaust system heat shield. You can bend back a corner of the shield to access it. The big challenge is that the hose connecting the outlet to the housing makes 4 90 degree turns in about 8 inches. After trying several different pieces of wire etc. with no success, I used a foot long piece of vacuum hose, roughly the same OD as the ID of the drain hose. I cut the end into a "point" and gave it a shot of WD40 then inserted it while "spinning" it. I eventually worked it through. Over a quart of water ended up draining out...

• 1 year later...

I just had the same problem. My approach was to lift the carpet, disconnect the hose from the floor, then use an air compressor and shot a small blast of air up the tube and the water came pouring out. Less than 5 minuets start to finish. I suppose a shop vac blowing instead of sucking would work as well.

Lenny

Edited by blockisle9

• 2 months later...

I am really annoyed at Ford. I took the Edge in twice now for AC problems. Last time they changed out the cooling fan. I now have water leaking under the glove box from the AC system. Called the dealer-- never heard of this type of problem before. Apparently alot of ford owners have. I don't want to be charged another $150 like every other time they have to change out the filter on the system. Could this be that drain issue? it makes a weird noise now when turning the car-- sounds kind of like a grinding. Someone please tell me before i talk another ride on the Ford Service carousel

• 2 years later...

Thanks to this topic, it worked for me!

Ā 

I found the perfect tool in my house... an aquarium gravel vacuum which consists of a 3' clear plastic hose connected to a larger diameter 6" cylinder. The outer diameter of the hose exactly matches the inner diameter of the dash hose in my 2007 Edge. I don't remember the exact brand but I think the packaging may have been blue and yellow.

Ā 

Here's what I did:

Ā 

1. pull back the carpet from the area underneath the gas pedal

Ā 

2. disconnect the dash hose (black) from the drain fitting (white)

Ā 

3. insert aquarium gravel vacuum hose into the dash hose

Ā 

4. blow (with my mouth) into the large diameter cylinder

Ā 

water started to drain through the dash hose, but suction prevented it from coming all the way out.

Ā 

5. place a white kitchen trash bag under the dash hose opening

Ā 

6. remove aquarium gravel vacuum hose

Ā 

about 1/2 gallon of dirty water drained out of the dash hose into the plastic bag

Ā 

7. reconnect dash hose to drain fitting

Ā 

8. replace carpet

Ā 

Note: my symptom was a sloshing noise when turning left accompanied by the sound of water getting into a fan

Ā 

Diagnosis: I correctly diagnosed the problem myself and asked my local mechanic to find the drain and unplug it... he couldn't find the drain. My local Ford Dealer had never heard of the problem and wanted to charge me 1/2 hour of labor to see if they could find the drain and unplug it, and notified me it could be $800 if they had to take off the dash.

Ā 

THANKS PETE AND LENNY!

• Like 2

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

One thing to keep.in mind after a hvac plug is mold and mildew building up in the housing. There are several ways of killing it, the one I used with good success is Kool-it. Lubegard 96030 Kool-It Evaporator and Heater Foam Cleaner https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007PHD0S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_e7NNzbNZYBC3D

Ā 

Here's a 5 minute Youtube video on how it works:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

So, I had this problem with the watery noise. I'm planning on trying to drain this mess today. I'm hoping it fixes it all and everything goes peachy.

But... Just in case it doesn't work...

Now my fan doesn't seem to be blowing at the vent or floor. I can still occasionally get defrost flow, and nicely chilled at that, but it doesn't last long. Any hints on what I should look at? It's a billion degrees now but I'm going to need the defrost soon once it cools off.