2011 Sport V6 300+hp gas mileage?

interfx

As far as the oil changes go, I'm less inclined to believe any dealer and only change the oil when the system says to. My first oil change was right around 10K miles.

Beyond ~6k on synthetics while the oil holds up the filters tend to clog and bypass. If you changed your filter at 5k and added a quart or so to top off you would avoid that issue.

I called the dealer and they said there is actually no "break-in" period for the new motors.

On the break in, while the engine may be run at the factory for the initial break in, the fact is as it get's some mileage and things polish in it will improve as friction increases. The initial break in usually lets the rings seal but as the piston walls get polished with more mileage friction will be reduced. Same for most other parts in the engine.

Edited by Paradox

With 10K miles on the motor, I'm getting 23 - 24 MPG at 60 MPH. On a recent road trip to Montana, I was pushing it pretty hard on those wide open Interstates and the mileage definitely dropped to around 19 - 20 MPG. The sweet spot sure seems to be around 55 - 60 MPH for the best mileage.

As far as the oil changes go, I'm less inclined to believe any dealer and only change the oil when the system says to. My first oil change was right around 10K miles.

I thought I read somewhere that Ford was going to start going to 10K mile oil change intervals on most of their vehicles starting either with the 2012 or 2013 models. They said that their research on their new engines has shown little to no difference in wear between their current 6K-7.5K oil changes and the 10K oil change intervals. Of course, you'd still want to do more frequent oil changes under more severe conditions (towing, frequent stop/go, driving consisting of short trips instead of longer trips, etc.).

• 1 month later...

Just got my sport last week. Rolled off the dealership lot and went on a trip with the family. On the trip home it had about 100 total miles on it. The first 60 miles was on the highway and had about 5 or 6 small towns to slow down through. I set the cruise at 60 on the open stretches. The last 60 miles was mostly uninterrupted interstate and I had the cruise set at 68. Between myself, wife, and 2 kids it's around 400 pounds plus another 100 to 150 of extra cargo. I was happy with the mileage which was just shy of 24 mpg when I got home. If it's anything like my truck, it will pick up a little from break in and jump some when I do the first oil change at 1000 miles.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...