Sunroof Initialization

Hello,

As I was just having some trouble with my sunroof and it needed to be re-initialized, I thought the following instructions on how to re-initialize the motor that drives the sunroof might be helpful for some of you as well.

1. Start the engine.
  2. If sunroof open, then press and hold the glass close switch until the glass is in CLOSED position.
  3. Release, repress and hold the glass close switch (for at least 10 seconds).
    - The glass panel will move toward the front hard-stop and stall.
    - The shade panels will move toward their front hard-stops, stall, move back a few millimeters, then forward.
    - After the shade panels have finished moving backward and forward, release the glass close switch.
  4. Press and hold the glass close switch.
    -The glass and shades will fully open together. Then, the glass will close first and then the shades will return to the fully CLOSED position. When the shades have stopped moving, release the glass close switch.
  5. Initialization is now complete. Verify successful initialization by carrying out one-touch open, one-touch close, one-touch vent (glass) and one-touch open for the shades.
    - If roof opening panel does not operate correctly, repeat Steps 2 through 5.

NOTE:

• The glass close switch must be held during the entire initialization process or the sequence will be aborted and the roof will remain in a de-initialized state. Keep objects and body parts clear of the glass panel when carrying out the initialization procedure. During the initialization procedure, the glass panel closes with high force and cannot detect objects in its path.

• Like 2

Hello,

As I was just having some trouble with my sunroof and it needed to be re-initialized, I thought the following instructions on how to re-initialize the motor that drives the sunroof might be helpful for some of you as well.

1. Start the engine.
  2. If sunroof open, then press and hold the glass close switch until the glass is in CLOSED position.
    - The shade panels will move toward their front hard-stops, stall, move back a few millimeters, then forward.
    - After the shade panels have finished moving backward and forward, release the glass close switch.
    -The glass and shades will fully open together. Then, the glass will close first and then the shades will return to the fully CLOSED position. When the shades have stopped moving, release the glass close switch.
  5. Initialization is now complete. Verify successful initialization by carrying out one-touch open, one-touch close, one-touch vent (glass) and one-touch open for the shades.

NOTE:

• The glass close switch must be held during the entire initialization process or the sequence will be aborted and the roof will remain in a de-initialized state. Keep objects and body parts clear of the glass panel when carrying out the initialization procedure. During the initialization procedure, the glass panel closes with high force and cannot detect objects in its path.

Thanks for posting- this is excellent information! I really hope never to need it, however, good to know where to get the information, just in case.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My roof stuck completely open. Opened it on the way home and left it open in the garage. The next morning at work, nothing. I took it to the dealer and they got it closed. They said the switch was bad. Replacing the switch has not fixed it and now they are ordering a motor. They believe that the switch has somehow messed up the motor. All I know is it does not work, the shades are open, and it gets hot in there. I also know I have a pretty expensive glass roof right now. Warranty will repair, but I am concerned. :censored:

• 10 months later...

Hello,

1. Start the engine.

NOTE:

I just wanted to say thanks a bunch for the info.

Background: Moon roof got stuck. We are usually able to close it all the way with a little help via our hands to push it shut. This time was a no go. it literally got stuck in the open position. Worried about rain or other things, i decided to take it to the dealership. They would not cover the cost of repair, (I have had the car since october last year) my top of the line extended warranty wouldn't cover it because there were "No parts needed to be replaced". This struck me as weird. I waited in the lobby for about 3 hours in the morning before heading to work. At about 2:45 minutes, i went up to the lady at the service desk and asked "Is it going to be ready soon because I need to go to work". (They waived the diagnosis fee of $98) and said they were able to get the window closed, however, could not fix it. They said they had to "Reinitalize it". That would require disassembling the roof or removing the fabric from the top and "doing it". I was pissed that 1) they were not honoring a sale less than a year old 2) the extended warranty they sold me did not cover it & I was going to be the one coming out of pocket.

I was pissed and told a buddy at work about it. He found this forum (which i happen to be a member of!) and tried out your suggestion.

WOW.

It worked and I can't thank you enough.

The audacity of the dealership to want to charge me 240 dollars for something my friend who with the help of your suggestion was able to fix my issue in under 5 minutes. I will be writing a formal letter to the dealership and possibly to consumer relations at Ford to expose the bullshit this dealer is passing along as "customer service".

Again, thank you so much!

Background: Moon roof got stuck. We are usually able to close it all the way with a little help via our hands to push it shut. This time was a no go. it literally got stuck in the open position. Worried about rain or other things, i decided to take it to the dealership. They would not cover the cost of repair, (I have had the car since october last year) my top of the line extended warranty wouldn't cover it because there were "No parts needed to be replaced". This struck me as weird. I waited in the lobby for about 3 hours in the morning before heading to work. At about 2:45 minutes, i went up to the lady at the service desk and asked "Is it going to be ready soon because I need to go to work". (They waived the diagnosis fee of $98) and said they were able to get the window closed, however, could not fix it. They said they had to "Reinitalize it". That would require disassembling the roof or removing the fabric from the top and "doing it". I was pissed that 1) they were not honoring a sale less than a year old 2) the extended warranty they sold me did not cover it & I was going to be the one coming out of pocket.

I was pissed and told a buddy at work about it. He found this forum (which i happen to be a member of!) and tried out your suggestion.

WOW.

The audacity of the dealership to want to charge me 240 dollars for something my friend who with the help of your suggestion was able to fix my issue in under 5 minutes. I will be writing a formal letter to the dealership and possibly to consumer relations at Ford to expose the bullshit this dealer is passing along as "customer service".

Glad you were able to fix your problem here, but that level of service for a vehicle within the Full warranty period is preposterous.

WOW.

YEP it’s a shame some dealerships can’t find their a$$ with both hands!

We had this same problem a few yrs ago.

If Frank Kent Cadillac had known how to re-initialized the moon roof we might still be a GM customer.

They replaced it TWO times, pinched a wire, door wouldn’t lock/unlock ETC ETC.

All covered by warranty but 3 visits and 5 lost days just because nobody knew to hold the open button in for 10 seconds after the battery was replaced.

ab

I have a similar problem with my 2011 Edge Sport. Sometimes on the way home from work it slows and stops 1/2 to 2/3 of the way closed. If i wait and try again it may get 7/8 of the way closed, but never fully. If i leave the car overnight, then try again as soon as i start the car, it normally works. I have booked an appointment with Ford for next week, but wondering if this will work for the current model?

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

both my shade and sun roof open ok but when flick the auto close switch it always stops 6" from the end and i then have to hold te close switch the rest of the way... Im reading your thread and hope this is normal and not a sign of things to come. I asked my dealer and hesaid it isa security feature to not pinch anyone if the accidently hit the button

both my shade and sun roof open ok but when flick the auto close switch it always stops 6" from the end and i then have to hold te close switch the rest of the way... Im reading your thread and hope this is normal and not a sign of things to come. I asked my dealer and hesaid it isa security feature to not pinch anyone if the accidently hit the button

It's a stupid, maddening feature. Ford was too lazy to install an anti-pinch feature in the roof. Yes, unfortunately, it is normal....for Ford anyway...

I have a similar problem with my 2011 Edge Sport. Sometimes on the way home from work it slows and stops 1/2 to 2/3 of the way closed. If i wait and try again it may get 7/8 of the way closed, but never fully. If i leave the car overnight, then try again as soon as i start the car, it normally works. I have booked an appointment with Ford for next week, but wondering if this will work for the current model?

Adam

Just an update. After a sunroof initialization (wasn't told this was done), but believe so since i found the pages from the workshop manual on the passengers seat, I have no problems. Screw the idea of have my baby in their workshop for two days while the rip down the headlines to "fully investigate".

Adam

• 2 years later...

THANK YOU, eifel, for posting the instructions on how to Initialize the Vista sunroof...worked perfectly and saved me time at the dealer and what I am sure would have been some $$ out of my pocket!!!

As a side note, I have a 2010 SEL Edge with 73K miles on it and have had trouble with the Vista roof for about a year now (however, this was the first time I could not get it shut all the way, stopping about 8 inches from being closed).

Edited by Iam Razir

• 7 months later...

Recently purchased an '09 Edge and panicked a little when the Vista Roof failed to completely close today. Cleaned/greased the tracks and re-initialized...now works flawlessly. Thanks!

How did you do re-initialized if the roof not close all the way?

Hello,

• Start the engine.
  • If sunroof open, then press and hold the glass close switch until the glass is in CLOSED position.
  • Release, repress and hold the glass close switch (for at least 10 seconds).

• Press and hold the glass close switch.

• Initialization is now complete. Verify successful initialization by carrying out one-touch open, one-touch close, one-touch vent (glass) and one-touch open for the shades.

NOTE:

Here a few confusions:

first,to close moon roof man should pull or hold down switch,and press(up) is for open, so what "press" exact means here? down or up?

secondly, switch must be held during entire process? but every step from step 2 to 4 you said press and release, why you then said hold all time? so can you clearfy this confusion?

WOW.

can you kind telling me how exactly you did in steps?

After posting this topic almost 4 years ago I never reallly looked at it again.

I am glad to see that it helped some of you as well and it was nice to read some of your feedback.

@ Ipgao:

How did you do re-initialized if the roof not close all the way?

There is really not a better way to describe the procedure than the way I initially posted it. If you have trouble understanding it or if it doesn't work for you then I suggest you get a friend to help you perform the procedure on your car..

Edited by eifel

Looking at the initialization process from the the 2011 Ford Edge manual, there seem to be a slight difference in the method. Possibly pre-refresh (pre-2011) and after refresh. The 2011 manual states to pull and hold instead of press, people with the later model may have more success with these instructions.

WARNING

WARNING: Keep objects and body parts clear of the glass panel when carrying out the initialization procedure. During the initialization procedure, the glass panel closes with high force and cannot detect objects in its path. Failure to follow this instruction may result in serious personal injury.

ROOF OPENING PANEL MOTOR INITIALIZATION

NOTE: New roof opening panel glass motor/shade motors must be initialized after installation.
NOTE: A de-initialized glass or shade motor will stutter step open when operated from the roof opening panel control switch.

1. Start the engine.

2. Pull and hold the roof opening panel control switch until the sliding glass panel is in the fully CLOSED position. Release the control switch.

3. Pull and hold the roof opening panel control switch until the sunshade panels are in the fully CLOSED position. Release the control switch.

4. Pull and hold the roof opening panel control switch (for at least 21 seconds).

For a new drive assembly, the sliding glass panel will move toward the front hard-stop, stall and then move backward a few millimeters and then forward.

For an existing drive assembly, the sliding glass panel will move toward the front hard-stop and stall.

The sunshade panels will move toward their front hard-stops, stall, move back a few millimeters, then forward.

After the sunshade panels have finished moving backward and forward, release the roof opening panel control switch.

5. NOTE: The roof opening panel control switch must be held during the entire initialization process or the sequence will be aborted and the roof will remain in a de-initialized state.

Pull and hold the roof opening panel control switch.

The sliding glass panel and sunshades will fully open together. Then, the sliding glass panel will close first and then the sunshades will return to the fully CLOSED position. When the sunshades have stopped moving, release the roof opening panel control switch.

6. Initialization is now complete. Verify successful initialization by

carrying out one-touch open, one-touch close, one-touch vent (glass) and one-touch open for the shades.

If roof opening panel does not operate correctly, repeat Steps 2 through 5.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in responding, but yes, the close button must be held down for the entire process or it will not reset. My sunroof and shade were both stuck in an open position. Holding down the close button for an extended period (much longer than I thought was necessary) caused both the glass and shade to fully open and, with the button still pressed, fully close. At that point the system reset and everything worked perfectly.

Looking at the initialization process from the the 2011 Ford Edge manual, there seem to be a slight difference in the method. Possibly pre-refresh (pre-2011) and after refresh. The 2011 manual states to pull and hold instead of press, people with the later model may have more success with these instructions.

WARNING

WARNING: Keep objects and body parts clear of the glass panel when carrying out the initialization procedure. During the initialization procedure, the glass panel closes with high force and cannot detect objects in its path. Failure to follow this instruction may result in serious personal injury.

NOTE: New roof opening panel glass motor/shade motors must be initialized after installation.

NOTE: A de-initialized glass or shade motor will stutter step open when operated from the roof opening panel control switch.

1. Start the engine.

2. Pull and hold the roof opening panel control switch until the sliding glass panel is in the fully CLOSED position. Release the control switch.

3. Pull and hold the roof opening panel control switch until the sunshade panels are in the fully CLOSED position. Release the control switch.

4. Pull and hold the roof opening panel control switch (for at least 21 seconds).

For a new drive assembly, the sliding glass panel will move toward the front hard-stop, stall and then move backward a few millimeters and then forward.

For an existing drive assembly, the sliding glass panel will move toward the front hard-stop and stall.

The sunshade panels will move toward their front hard-stops, stall, move back a few millimeters, then forward.

After the sunshade panels have finished moving backward and forward, release the roof opening panel control switch.

5. NOTE: The roof opening panel control switch must be held during the entire initialization process or the sequence will be aborted and the roof will remain in a de-initialized state.

The sliding glass panel and sunshades will fully open together. Then, the sliding glass panel will close first and then the sunshades will return to the fully CLOSED position. When the sunshades have stopped moving, release the roof opening panel control switch.

carrying out one-touch open, one-touch close, one-touch vent (glass) and one-touch open for the shades.

Thanks for guys kind of replies. Here are what I got confused:in step 2,3,4,state to release button or switch, but in step 5, saying to hold control witch, what control switch is?

WARNING

1. Start the engine.

another question is what is 2011 ford edge manual? owner manual? or something else? where I can get it?