Sunroof Initialization

Sorry for the delay in responding, but yes, the close button must be held down for the entire process or it will not reset. My sunroof and shade were both stuck in an open position. Holding down the close button for an extended period (much longer than I thought was necessary) caused both the glass and shade to fully open and, with the button still pressed, fully close. At that point the system reset and everything worked perfectly.

You said to hold down close button, but before your posting, it said held down opening button, so closing or opening? or I understood you mean just hold down switch wait for fully open, and fully close again, there no release button in step 2 and 3? Just one step: held down button or switch?

With regards to the step 5 note:

Sorry for the mass confusion, but it is copy/pasted exactly from the repair manual

My understanding is that the note only applies to step 5, meaning that the roof opening control switch must be held from the beginning of step 5 (sliding glass and sunshade moves together) to the end of step 5 (sunshades return to fully close position). The sun roof will go through different step in that process, but it have to be held down until the sunshade is fully closed again. I believe all steps are to be followed on their own, release the control switch every time it is mentioned to release it. in step 2, 3 and 4. If you look at the steps carefully, you will notice that they always start with: "Pull and hold the roof opening control switch" and always end with : "release the control switch"

With regards to the manual, I am talking about the repair manual. there is a link to it on this post: http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/13205-chilton-2007-13-ford-edge-manual-available/

With regards to jlpeake comment: the opening control switch both opens and close the roof, depending on wether you hold down on it or press up on it. Pull and hold the roof opening control switch would mean the action of closing the sun roof.

With regards to the step 5 note:

Sorry for the mass confusion, but it is copy/pasted exactly from the repair manual

My understanding is that the note only applies to step 5, meaning that the roof opening control switch must be held from the beginning of step 5 (sliding glass and sunshade moves together) to the end of step 5 (sunshades return to fully close position). The sun roof will go through different step in that process, but it have to be held down until the sunshade is fully closed again. I believe all steps are to be followed on their own, release the control switch every time it is mentioned to release it. in step 2, 3 and 4. If you look at the steps carefully, you will notice that they always start with: "Pull and hold the roof opening control switch" and always end with : "release the control switch"

With regards to the manual, I am talking about the repair manual. there is a link to it on this post: http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/13205-chilton-2007-13-ford-edge-manual-available/

With regards to jlpeake comment: the opening control switch both opens and close the roof, depending on wether you hold down on it or press up on it. Pull and hold the roof opening control switch would mean the action of closing the sun roof.

Thanks Youri631 for your kind replies.I will post my result when I done on my car. It was done by somebody a month ago. He did it by accidentally because he did not know what exact to do but got roof closed. Then yesterday I could not close it again. I did not do anything yet until I get information here.

With my roof not close fully how can I do step 2?

• 1 year later...

thanks Youri631.

My wife's 2007 Edge was doing something a little different that what has been described here. The glass was going back about 6", and the motor was making clicking noises, and repeating all the way until the glass was fully opened. sometimes it would not even open up the whole way. I cleaned out the rails as mentioned in another thread somewhere and then tried to open with the same results.

I then ran through the initialization process you posted above and BOOM - works like a champ. There was another initialization that someone posted stating hold the close button for 10 seconds, but that obviously does not apply to a 2007 model.

Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old topic, I hope someone will monitor this.

My wife has an '10 Edge. About two years ago her vista roof would not close fully, about 3-4in short. I found the initialization process and after several attempts I was able to close the roof. I remember it took a couple of trys and that I may have done something differently than what the above process says. Either way I was able to close it and it had remained that way until one of the kids opened it this week.

Now once again, the roof will not close fully. I have tried the initialization process many times and still nothing. I have pulled the fuse to attempt to reset it and still nothing.

The problem I have with the initialization process is step 1. Press and hold until the glass is in the closed position....The glass won't close fully!!! If I could get it to close, I would just leave it alone.

Anyone have any clues?

Try opening it fully and lubricating the tracks/rails.

Thats been done. There's enough lube to choke an elephant.

Its as if the roof thinks its fully closed. It gets to the same spot and abruptly stops. There is nothing in the tracks. There is no blockage.

When I do the initialization, the roof and sunshades do what is described they should do...EXCEPT CLOSE FULLY.

I mean the sunshade wouldnt close unless the glass is fully closed. But the sunshade is closing and the glass is not fully closed!

Im at a loss.

Gonna pull the headliner and manually crank the motor I guess.

OK, I pulled the headliner enough to get to the motor. I found a hex fitting that I could get a hex socket onto. With this socket I could manually crank the glass open or close, albeit slowly. Did this fix the problem? NO.....Amazingly I could only crank the window closed to the same spot it keeps stopping.

So, I dont know. Why does the motor run out of travel? Do I need a new motor?

Edited by asdstar

It should not matter in step 1 if the roof is fully closed or not. It would fully close, then you would not need to re-initialized the sunroof. I would go through the whole process not matter what happened at step the first step.

Wath out for step 5, it is confusing

• Like 1

It should not matter in step 1 if the roof is fully closed or not. It would fully close, then you would not need to re-initialized the sunroof. I would go through the whole process not matter what happened at step the first step.

Wath out for step 5, it is confusing

Maybe Im missing something.

After the glass and shade do their move back and forward thing. Release the switch, then pull and hold. The glass and shade move back together (they do). Then glass moves forward (it does, but does not close all the way), then the shade moves forward.

So everything is happening correctly, except for the full closure part.

Sounds like you are doing it right.

Here is how I understand it, Sadly I can't test it myself right now.

1. Start the engine.

2. Pull and hold the roof opening panel control switch until the sliding glass panel is in the fully CLOSED position (or as closed as it will be). Release the control switch.

3. Pull and hold the roof opening panel control switch until the sunshade panels are in the fully CLOSED position. Release the control switch.

4. Pull and hold the roof opening panel control switch (for at least 21 seconds).

- the sliding glass panel will move toward the front hard-stop and stall.

- The sunshade panels will move toward their front hard-stops, stall, move back a few millimeters, then forward.

After the sunshade panels have finished moving backward and forward, release the roof opening panel control switch.

5. Pull and hold the roof opening panel control switch. (keep holding the switch during the entire time for this step)

- The sliding glass panel and sunshades will fully open together. - Then, the sliding glass panel will close first and then the sunshades will return to the fully CLOSED position. When the sunshades have stopped moving, release the roof opening panel control switch.

Note that the step I posted is for 2011 model and after.

The initial instructions posted on the first page of this post were for pre-2011 model. There might be a difference in the procedure that will work for your 2010 Edge.

Edited by youri631

Ok folks, appreciate all the help.

What I did today.

Disconnected the battery and went through the whole initialization process again, and again, and again. Roof still won't close.

I had forgotten to mention one thing, not sure if it makes a difference but this has happened every time I have had done the initialization process. On the last step after the roof and shade have moved back together, the glass comes forward, but does not close. The shade has never closed.

Anyone know if this would make a difference. I do keep the close button depressed for a while after the glass closes and the shade does not close.

• 1 year later...

I have a 2013 edge with the vista roof.

I have completed the initialization process at least 20 times. All steps are followed and it acts as described in the steps during the process. However, I do not have 1 touch opening or closing. The glass stops with about 4 inches of travel remaining when opening. When closing the glass stops with about 6 inches of travel. The sun shade will open with 1 touch but will stop while closing with about 4 inches of travel remaining. In all cases it will close with the switch after it stops with no issue. I have removed the glass and cleaned and lubed all surfaces and it moves much faster since doing that.

The ford edge 2013 does not have one touch closing. It will always stop short. I beleive this is due to the fact that the glass will not "detect" if there is an obstruction and would risk pinching body parts. ( Which is kind of ironic, since i dont think the motor is really strong enough to cause injuries.)

The opening is done in two "one touch" stages. The first stage is not fully opened and it is meant to reduce wind noise (ie for a quieter highway mode). The second stage is fully open. The second stage is also "one touch" since tou don't have to hold the switch for it to open fully. You just have to press it a second time.

The ford edge 2013 does not have one touch closing. It will always stop short. I beleive this is due to the fact that the glass will not "detect" if there is an obstruction and would risk pinching body parts. ( Which is kind of ironic, since i dont think the motor is really strong enough to cause injuries.)

The opening is done in two "one touch" stages. The first stage is not fully opened and it is meant to reduce wind noise (ie for a quieter highway mode). The second stage is fully open. The second stage is also "one touch" since tou don't have to hold the switch for it to open fully. You just have to press it a second time.

• Like 2

I have a 2013 edge with the vista roof.

I have completed the initialization process at least 20 times. All steps are followed and it acts as described in the steps during the process. However, I do not have 1 touch opening or closing. The glass stops with about 4 inches of travel remaining when opening. When closing the glass stops with about 6 inches of travel. The sun shade will open with 1 touch but will stop while closing with about 4 inches of travel remaining. In all cases it will close with the switch after it stops with no issue. I have removed the glass and cleaned and lubed all surfaces and it moves much faster since doing that.

If I'm reading you correctly, that's normal operation. When opening, the glass will stop at about the 2/3's mark. This is the most open position before the roof gets noisy from wind noise.

On closing, the glass (and shade) will stop with a few inches to go. They designed this in as a safety factor, no little fingers in the opening when closing. You must then manually hold the button to finish the close. Personally I prefer the 2016 design thst closes all the way without any stops, but it's not that big of a deal.