adding power lift gate?

gccch

Has anyone explored adding the power lift gate to their EDGE or MKX? We have a 2008 MKX and would like to add it. Is the wiring already in place? I was thinking if the wiring was there I could add only the motor unit with switch and hoping it would operate. I was not going to add the dash button.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone explored adding the power lift gate to their EDGE or MKX? We have a 2008 MKX and would like to add it. Is the wiring already in place? I was thinking if the wiring was there I could add only the motor unit with switch and hoping it would operate. I was not going to add the dash button.

Do a search Tailgate Lift,Marty

Edited by Depiry

• 5 months later...

Its not a matter of weight and how much you want to show off you can lift. its a matter of convience. i can do over 200, but its nice to walk up to your vehicle when you arms are full and just hit a button and it opens.

The new CMax feature is even better. You just wave your foot under the bumper and the hatch opens. Hands free.

• 11 months later...

I want to add this feature too. Let's hope for some serious replies. e.g. is the CMax feature of waving your foot under the rear bumper realistically an option? I haven't yet explored after mkt local custom shops but maybe we can keep this thread alive. Good luck. BTW I also want to add automated folding mirrors. These features were unavailable to me in w/o pricey pkg deals w/ features I didn't want.

I want to add this feature too. Let's hope for some serious replies. e.g. is the CMax feature of waving your foot under the rear bumper realistically an option? I haven't yet explored after mkt local custom shops but maybe we can keep this thread alive. Good luck. BTW I also want to add automated folding mirrors. These features were unavailable to me in w/o pricey pkg deals w/ features I didn't want.

One day later - went to Dealership and for a mere $600 I can get Latch ass'y and control box w/o any guarantee that the hatch will do anything other than unlock i.e. may not pop up leaving car vulnerable to having gate unlocked but not visably closed. Also there is a questionable outcome on what this will do to alarm system. I am now investigating keyless entry products on the web and some are promising. Today will be autozone and calls to alarm companies. I remember an old truck I saw customized where key fob popped onpen the driver door. That's all I want.

One day later - went to Dealership and for a mere $600 I can get Latch ass'y and control box w/o any guarantee that the hatch will do anything other than unlock i.e. may not pop up leaving car vulnerable to having gate unlocked but not visably closed. Also there is a questionable outcome on what this will do to alarm system. I am now investigating keyless entry products on the web and some are promising. Today will be autozone and calls to alarm companies. I remember an old truck I saw customized where key fob popped onpen the driver door. That's all I want.

That's done with either a spring or a solenoid. But what good does it do just to pop open the hatch by waving your foot? You'd still have to grab it to open it. Hardly seems worth the effort.

• 4 years later...

After much research I found an aftermarket power liftgate retrofit kit for 2012 - 2015 Edge. I have corresponded several times with the sales manager at company in China. He has requested photos and measurements for my 2011 Edge to be sure their product will work. I will be forwarding the requested material to him tomorrow, and hopefully installing my aftermarket liftgate in the next few months. I will post updates and photos. Here is a link to the company website:

http://www.che1.com/product/tl105-electric-tailgate-lift-assist-system/

• Like 2

After much research I found an aftermarket power liftgate retrofit kit for 2012 - 2015 Edge. I have corresponded several times with the sales manager at company in China. He has requested photos and measurements for my 2011 Edge to be sure their product will work. I will be forwarding the requested material to him tomorrow, and hopefully installing my aftermarket liftgate in the next few months. I will post updates and photos. Here is a link to the company website:

For $500/- I would highly recommend skipping it. 1st of all, the price is too high considering it is a 2011 model, it would be better to sell your Edge & buy another with the options you need. Also, don't forget that once any part of the mechanism breaks down, the whole system will be down until you'd be able source the parts as they wont be readily available. Finally, even though it is a convenience, it is not really worth paying $500/- for it.

Looking forward to this project, Tony. Hope it works as well as they show in the video, and is reliable. Like omar said, sourcing replacement parts would definitely be a ? on my list. I have no issues (at the present time) with the manual liftgate on my Edge, but I have watched my wife struggle with it, so I can understand. Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hey, i found one that works just like the factory one. I installed it on my wifes Edge. I got it from https://truckenhance.com . The link to the aftermarket power liftgate system kit is https://truckenhance.com/product/power-liftgate-system-foot-sensor/ . The best part it comes with a foot sensor to allow you to open the tail gate with you feet! So actually better than the dealer one!...lol. The wife loves it! Works great for those of you that wants one. It took me about 3 hours to do the installation, it's pretty straight forward.

• Thanks 1