Ask A Professional Detailer?

Thanks for the info Canuck. If the dealer offers a sealant application should I take it, or find a local detailer, or try to do it myself? If the dealer offers it, can I use your method & product selection as a benchmark? How do I know the dealer isn't going to just spray WD40 on it an call it a day?

I'm a bit leery about doing it myself because I've built furnature before just for fun, and if I screwed up the finish I could just take it down a little and start again. i don't think you have that option with car paint finishes, especially if it's a funky metallic/glass Tuxedo Black.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

If your detalership offers you their "1 year" paint protection, don't waste your money. Not only is it overpriced, but it doesn't have anywhere the durability that they claim. A detailer like myself will always clay bar, polish, seal, wax a new vehicle, however the average DIY guy can easily get away with simply applying a sealant. Applying a sealant like Menzerna's Power Lock is fool proof. If you are using some decent microfiber towels, there is really no way you can do harm applying a sealant. Just know that applying a carnuba wax or a sealant can always be easlily removed unlike your oil based wood based finishes you mentioned above. Any other questions, just let me know. :)

• Like 1

Good question. If I had to purchase an over the counter product, it probably would be the Tech Wax 2.0.

Brands like Poorboys, Menzerna, Chemical Guys, Zaino, Blackfire, Klasse, etc are not available over the counter and are only available at detailing stores. While detailing is more than just a hobby for me, I only purchase products from professional detailing stores. For the US, I would highly recommend www.detailedimage.com and in Canada I would recommend www.eshine.ca

Canuck, thanks for all your helpful info.

I was checking out the carnauba waxes on www.detailedimage.com, but there are a lot of brands I have never heard of. What would you recommend for my platinum white edge? I would like something that has a high shine; and I do wax my cars regularly.

Thanks.

I pick up my MKX this week. Looking forward to it!

I'm looking at polishing and sealing my car this weekend.

I looked up the Menzerna Power Lock on eShine.ca They're recommend using an orbital polisher.. I only have have terry cloth towels.

Other then saving time in application, are there any other advantages to using a polisher when applying a sealant?

Also, for a black finish, do you have any recommendations for a polish? I want a super duper high gloss :D

Canuck, thanks for all your helpful info.

I was checking out the carnauba waxes on www.detailedimage.com, but there are a lot of brands I have never heard of. What would you recommend for my platinum white edge? I would like something that has a high shine; and I do wax my cars regularly.

Thanks.

One of the best carnuba waxes for the money is Natty's Paste Wax. For your colour, I would recommend Natty's Red. Dodo Juice Diamond White and Pinnacle Souveran are extremely good as well, but significantly more expensive.

I looked up the Menzerna Power Lock on eShine.ca They're recommend using an orbital polisher.. I only have have terry cloth towels.

Other then saving time in application, are there any other advantages to using a polisher when applying a sealant?

Also, for a black finish, do you have any recommendations for a polish? I want a super duper high gloss :D

Duplicate post.

Edited by CanuckG35

I never use an orbital when applying or removing a sealant, but you certainly can. The advantage of using an orbital when applying a sealant is that it provides a more even coverage than doing it by hand. You end up using more product though. One note though, DO NOT use terry cloth towels when applying or removing your sealant. They will definitely cause scratches on your paint. Pick up some good MF towels from Detailed Image.

If you are polishing though, a orbital will definitely be required. :)

I haven't seen any mention of the care for the plastic body parts around the bottom of the car. What's the best way to care for that? I want mine to stay black.

also

What are your thoughts on the California Duster? It seems like it would scratch the finish.

303 Aerospace or Poorboys Trim Restorer are great products for your black trim.

Personally, I am not a fan of the California Duster. A safer way to remove light dirt, dust, bird bombs, etc is to use Poorboys Spray & Wipe along with a couple of MF towels.

hi, CanuckG35

thank you for those information. They are very useful for a newbie like me.

Though my new edge is on the way to my home, I started to think of it, including the paint care.

Do you know how much do i need roughly for a 2011 edge to clay-caring, polishing and sealing, if I use Menzerna final polish PO85RD and power lock polymer sealant?

hi, CanuckG35

thank you for those information. They are very useful for a newbie like me.

Though my new edge is on the way to my home, I started to think of it, including the paint care.

Do you know how much do i need roughly for a 2011 edge to clay-caring, polishing and sealing, if I use Menzerna final polish PO85RD and power lock polymer sealant?

If you are looking to claybar/polish/seal your new Edge, you'll need the following products.

PC7424 (or something similiar)

pads

claybar

claybar lubricant. (Poorboys Spray & Wipe is what I use)

polishes

sealant

MF Towels

You are probably looking at least $300 to get initially setup with those products. It's a fair bit of money, however consider it an investment and they will also last you a long time. I can put together a proper package for you if you want.

If you are looking to claybar/polish/seal your new Edge, you'll need the following products.

PC7424 (or something similiar)

pads

claybar

claybar lubricant. (Poorboys Spray & Wipe is what I use)

polishes

sealant

MF Towels

You are probably looking at least $300 to get initially setup with those products. It's a fair bit of money, however consider it an investment and they will also last you a long time. I can put together a proper package for you if you want.

For both Final polish PO85RD and Power Lock sealant, they have 32Oz package. Is that one package is enough for the whole EDGE, or 2 ~ 3 more will be needed?

thx

For both Final polish PO85RD and Power Lock sealant, they have 32Oz package. Is that one package is enough for the whole EDGE, or 2 ~ 3 more will be needed?

thx

A 32oz will not only do an entire Edge, once, it will do it several times over. Even the 16oz will last you quite awhile. :)

I dont see any clay bar for glass on detailimage. Do they carry it? I dont care for the glass srub. Griots does.

Canuck want to do you think about Griot's garage products? I havent use them or any of the others. its alway been Meguiar's. But Im going to get some PB wheel sealant and would like to get a clay bar for glass or something has good. Any ideas?

I dont see any clay bar for glass on detailimage. Do they carry it? I dont care for the glass srub. Griots does.

Canuck want to do you think about Griot's garage products? I havent use them or any of the others. its alway been Meguiar's. But Im going to get some PB wheel sealant and would like to get a clay bar for glass or something has good. Any ideas?

Claymagic's Fine Grade works extremely well on glass, and Detailed Image carries that.

Regarding Griot's Garage products, I've personally never used them. Having said that, I know a lot of people that use them and speak highly of them. Codyyfz here on this forum uses their products exclusively, maybe he can chime in and give his opinion.

Claymagic's Fine Grade works extremely well on glass, and Detailed Image carries that.

Regarding Griot's Garage products, I've personally never used them. Having said that, I know a lot of people that use them and speak highly of them. Codyyfz here on this forum uses their products exclusively, maybe he can chime in and give his opinion.

ok, here goes a dumb question...........I understand and can see the benefits of using clay bar on paint, but why glass?

Speaking of GLASS! I was just cleaning my windows (with Invisible Glass) and noticed that my roof is ALL Glass! I never paid that much attention (I have a Black Edge so my Vista roof blends in) From the inside, it looks like there would be some sheet metal on the roof because the rear moon roof doesn't take up the whole space.

I guess I have less paint to care for than I thought! :doh:

EDIT:

I ordered some stuff from PoorBoys this afternoon and already have a FedEx tracking # . Quick!

Edited by wilsons66604

OK. Is it ok to use the Poorboy's Spray & Wipe as a clay bar lubricant on glass or do you a different lubricant? Can you use any clay bar for glass as well? I already have Meguiar's bar kit.

ok, here goes a dumb question...........I understand and can see the benefits of using clay bar on paint, but why glass?

There is no such thing as a dumb question. :)

Just like contaminates can become bonded to your paint, they can become bonded to your windshield and windows as well. Even though your windows might look clean, you'd be surprised at how dirty your clay bar is after you do them. Like your paint, if you lightly move your fingers across your windows and it feels slightly rough like sandpaper, you know you'll need to clay bar them. :)

OK. Is it ok to use the Poorboy's Spray & Wipe as a clay bar lubricant on glass or do you a different lubricant? Can you use any clay bar for glass as well? I already have Meguiar's bar kit.

Yep, Poorboys S&W makes a great lubricant when claying both your paint and windshield. If you are clay barring glass, I would stick with a fine grade clay bar, like the one I mentioned earlier from Clay Magic. An aggressive clay bar can and will cause marring. Using an aggressive clay bar on your paint (if it's warranted) is not a big deal since you typically follow up clay barring with a single or multi step polishing........but glass is different. Check your Meguiars clay bar kit and see how aggressive it us before using it on your glass.

There is no such thing as a dumb question. :)

Just like contaminates can become bonded to your paint, they can become bonded to your windshield and windows as well. Even though your windows might look clean, you'd be surprised at how dirty your clay bar is after you do them. Like your paint, if you lightly move your fingers across your windows and it feels slightly rough like sandpaper, you know you'll need to clay bar them. :)

Good point! Don't forget your big ass moon roof.

Yep, Poorboys S&W makes a great lubricant when claying both your paint and windshield. If you are clay barring glass, I would stick with a fine grade clay bar, like the one I mentioned earlier from Clay Magic. An aggressive clay bar can and will cause marring. Using an aggressive clay bar on your paint (if it's warranted) is not a big deal since you typically follow up clay barring with a single or multi step polishing........but glass is different. Check your Meguiars clay bar kit and see how aggressive it us before using it on your glass.

Spoke to a Meguiar's rep today and the clay bar is non-abrasive or very fine. The smooth surface kit that I used 3 days ago came with the quick detail for a lubricant. They said that yes the clay & lub can be used on glass as well. I was thinking "ok why not put that on the box then?". Any ways gonna try it out.

So if anyone wants to ask any questions or needs any detailing advice just post it here in this thread. I myself own a detailing business and another member here codyyfz is another well versed detailer. Any questions on wanting to keep your new Edge in showroom condition, please post here and I will be glad to help.

Don't forget about DJ Nap...I've owned a detailing biz here in FL for 9 1/2 years and have been a forum member for a long time now. PleaseWashMyCar.com!