Ask A Professional Detailer?

canuck

I live in colorado, live in a place that is beautiful, but solid pine trees. It is that time of the year (semi-annual) where the pines loose needles and it results in a mist of pine sap. Long story but have no room in the garage right now. I did google searches and see everything from wd40 to simple green to bug and tar remover recommended. What is your recommendation?? thanks in advance.

canuck

I live in colorado, live in a place that is beautiful, but solid pine trees. It is that time of the year (semi-annual) where the pines loose needles and it results in a mist of pine sap. Long story but have no room in the garage right now. I did google searches and see everything from wd40 to simple green to bug and tar remover recommended. What is your recommendation?? thanks in advance.

I would first try to remove the sap with a quick detailer. If that doesn't work, clay bar will definitely do the trick.

I live in Southern California, so I always have access to water and dust is more the enemy than rain/ snow/ sand, etc. I have a 2 year old a new baby boy, so time is very limited.

Can you recommend the easiest solution(s) and material(s) for car washing, tire cleaning and gloss, and paint maintenance? Someone gave me a turtle wax "ice" package awhile ago for a gift, is that good? (http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,1)

So can you give me a list of recommended products to wash my car, such as mitt, towels, wash solution, and then I suppose tire and trim gloss and a paint sealant? Thanks in advanced!

I live in Southern California, so I always have access to water and dust is more the enemy than rain/ snow/ sand, etc. I have a 2 year old a new baby boy, so time is very limited.

Can you recommend the easiest solution(s) and material(s) for car washing, tire cleaning and gloss, and paint maintenance? Someone gave me a turtle wax "ice" package awhile ago for a gift, is that good? (http://www.turtlewax...in.taf?p=2,1,1)

So can you give me a list of recommended products to wash my car, such as mitt, towels, wash solution, and then I suppose tire and trim gloss and a paint sealant? Thanks in advanced!

I would first start with this basic wash/dry package from Detailed Image. http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Packages-M29/Washing-and-Drying-Starter-Package-P148/

Get yourself two buckets as well, one for your soapy water and one for water only. Put the grit guard in the soapy water bucket. This will allow all of the grit to go to the bottom of the bucket and prevent your mitt from touching it. After washing a portion of each panel, rinse your mitt in the water bucket to release all of the grit and dirt, then proceed to the soapy bucket. The waffle weave drying towels are they best and safest thing to dry your car with. Another great drying technique is after the car is completely washed, take the nozzle off of your hose and rinse your car down starting from the top. This will produce a sheeting effect and will remove over half of the water on your car.

The Turtle Wax Ice product isn't too bad I guess, but I am generally not a fan of their products........or pretty much any over the counter products for that matter. Once you start using professional products, you'll probably never go back. :)

For a paint sealant, my absolute favourite is Menzerna Power Lock. The Power Lock replaces their previous sealant, Full Molecular Jacket, which was also an incredible product.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Menzerna-M10/Power-Lock-Polymer-Sealant-P443/16oz-S1/

For a tire dressing, I have found none better than Poorboys Bold N Bright. http://www.detailedimage.com/Poorboys-World-M1/Bold-n-Bright-P36/16-oz-S1/

For in between washes, I would highly recommend getting Poorboys Spray & Wipe. This is a waterless wash Quick Detailer than can be used to remove dust, light dirt, bird bombs, clay bar lubricant, etc. I use it all the time as a quick wash, and because it has lubricants in it, it will not scratch your paint.

Lastly, and one of the most important things to purchase, is good quality microfiber towels. These are extremely good! http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Microfiber-M13/Ultra-Plush-Two-Sided-Towel-P105/16-x-16-S1/

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have any other questions. :)

Wash dry package looks like a good deal but why the mitts and a sponge? Is one used for certain areas or?

As far as sealant goes, would a microfiber towel suffice for application or should I get a foam applicator and if so, recommendation?

Lastly, when applying sealant, do you avoid non-painted surface or? What happens if you get a little bit on trim, etc?

Thanks for taking the time again, you've helped us all so much!

I would first start with this basic wash/dry package from Detailed Image. http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Packages-M29/Washing-and-Drying-Starter-Package-P148/

Get yourself two buckets as well, one for your soapy water and one for water only. Put the grit guard in the soapy water bucket. This will allow all of the grit to go to the bottom of the bucket and prevent your mitt from touching it. After washing a portion of each panel, rinse your mitt in the water bucket to release all of the grit and dirt, then proceed to the soapy bucket. The waffle weave drying towels are they best and safest thing to dry your car with. Another great drying technique is after the car is completely washed, take the nozzle off of your hose and rinse your car down starting from the top. This will produce a sheeting effect and will remove over half of the water on your car.

The Turtle Wax Ice product isn't too bad I guess, but I am generally not a fan of their products........or pretty much any over the counter products for that matter. Once you start using professional products, you'll probably never go back. :)

For a paint sealant, my absolute favourite is Menzerna Power Lock. The Power Lock replaces their previous sealant, Full Molecular Jacket, which was also an incredible product.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Menzerna-M10/Power-Lock-Polymer-Sealant-P443/16oz-S1/

For a tire dressing, I have found none better than Poorboys Bold N Bright. http://www.detailedimage.com/Poorboys-World-M1/Bold-n-Bright-P36/16-oz-S1/

For in between washes, I would highly recommend getting Poorboys Spray & Wipe. This is a waterless wash Quick Detailer than can be used to remove dust, light dirt, bird bombs, clay bar lubricant, etc. I use it all the time as a quick wash, and because it has lubricants in it, it will not scratch your paint.

Lastly, and one of the most important things to purchase, is good quality microfiber towels. These are extremely good! http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Microfiber-M13/Ultra-Plush-Two-Sided-Towel-P105/16-x-16-S1/

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have any other questions. :)

Wash dry package looks like a good deal but why the mitts and a sponge? Is one used for certain areas or?

As far as sealant goes, would a microfiber towel suffice for application or should I get a foam applicator and if so, recommendation?

Lastly, when applying sealant, do you avoid non-painted surface or? What happens if you get a little bit on trim, etc?

Thanks for taking the time again, you've helped us all so much!

You can use the grout sponge or sheepskin mitt on your paint surface, however I like using the sheepskin mitt on all of the panels, and use the grout sponge on the trim. DI simply gives you both tools in that package. Using MF towels is certainly sufficient when applying your sealants, that's what I use. A foam applicator is fine too though. Regarding using sealants on trim......that is fine, however stay away from putting it on any trim that has a rough or porous surface. It will be hard to remove it.

I bought a quart of poor boys spray and wipe. That stuff is awesome!!!

I can see now that I will need to order a 55 gallon barrel of it.

Oh and I also decided that a person can never have enough MF towels. No sense in rubbing my car with a dirty towel. Better to swap for a clean towel than not.

Edit:

My shipment of clay, polish & sealer is due to arrive Thursday.

Edited by wilsons66604

I went to my favorite do it yourself spraywash today to use the Vacumn. I noticed that they added a hand held blow dryer in one of the bays. In the past I would use the no-spot de-ionized rinse and not worry about drying (still learning about car care). It may be handy in the winter. Has anyone seen and/or used these at your local car wash? It's kinda scary to me. If I used it would it end up sand blasting my car?

I was kinda surprised by how i noticed the finish on this car yesterday. I was leaving a sporting event and noticed the great paint job on a 10 yr old cady. It was spotless. I was very impressed.

While driving away, I noticed a sticker on the trunk...a sticker for an auto detailer.

Auto detailing does make a difference! I'm a convert now.

I also noticed a cool black suburu wtx that had been treated like my previous cars. Swirls and scratches everywhere. A nice compare contrast.

While I may not be as fanatical about the care of my car as I should be ( I'm getting there though), I now know what I should and shouldn't do.

Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge in the detailing area

Edited by wilsons66604

Good stuff. I noticed you are a detailer as well from the other thread. Always nice to see another detailer around. icon14.gif

Ditto! Most ppl just let their cars go..I've detailed cars that a year old that look worse that the '91 Skylark with 3 hubcaps. It's nice to hear someone say that it looks better than the day they bought it!! Like this guy...

post-4426-043164500 1286746069_thumb.jpg

Ditto! Most ppl just let their cars go..I've detailed cars that a year old that look worse that the '91 Skylark with 3 hubcaps. It's nice to hear someone say that it looks better than the day they bought it!! Like this guy...

post-4426-043164500 1286746069_thumb.jpg

I was amazed at how UN detailed my brand new edge was. The more I learn (from you guys) the more I'm happy that a 18yr old kid didn't "try" to detail my car at the dealership.

I rather be the guy cleaning the stickers off of the car and not have the kid burn his signature into my paint with his side grinder!

How many MF towels will it take to apply the Power lock sealant on an Edge/MKX? I assume one to apply, but how many will it take to remove it? Should one use the sealant on the BAMR?

Well, technically you will only be applying a sealant on a clean paint surface so one for applying and one for removing should be sufficient. Having said that, to be safe I would use at least two for applying and two for removing. Better to be safe than sorry. And yes, you can definitely apply a sealant on any glass surfaces, including the BAMR. :)

Edited by CanuckG35

I bought a quart of poor boys spray and wipe. That stuff is awesome!!!

I can see now that I will need to order a 55 gallon barrel of it.

Oh and I also decided that a person can never have enough MF towels. No sense in rubbing my car with a dirty towel. Better to swap for a clean towel than not.

Edit:

My shipment of clay, polish & sealer is due to arrive Thursday.

Yep, Poorboys S&W is an awesome product. I litterally never leave the driveway without a spray bottle of S&W and a few MF towels in the trunk. What did you purchase for clay, polish, and sealant?

Hi Canuck. I have a question. After I apply the sealant by hand do i imediatly apply the wax or do i wait?

If you are looking to layer a carnuba over a sealant, wait at least 24 hours for the sealant to cure before you apply the carnuba. For those looking to do the same thing, always remember that you can layer a carnuba over a sealant, but not the other way around.

I was kinda surprised by how i noticed the finish on this car yesterday. I was leaving a sporting event and noticed the great paint job on a 10 yr old cady. It was spotless. I was very impressed.

While driving away, I noticed a sticker on the trunk...a sticker for an auto detailer.

Auto detailing does make a difference! I'm a convert now.

I also noticed a cool black suburu wtx that had been treated like my previous cars. Swirls and scratches everywhere. A nice compare contrast.

While I may not be as fanatical about the care of my car as I should be ( I'm getting there though), I now know what I should and shouldn't do.

Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge in the detailing area

Yeah, learning how to properly detail your vehicle is addicting, rewarding, and very gratifying. I just love having customers pick up their vehicles from me simply amazed at how well their vehicles looks. Like I said, it's a very gratifying business.

As an example, here is a customer's Altima that I detailed. It looks like they washed their car with a brillo pad since day one. It was just in horrible shape. I include a CD with before and after pictures for each customer and they were astounded at the difference.

Before

DSC_0426-1.jpg

DSC_0424-1.jpg

DSC_0427-1.jpg

After

DSC_0443.jpg

DSC_0444-1.jpg

DSC_0434-1.jpg

Edited by CanuckG35

Yeah, learning how to properly detail your vehicle is addicting, rewarding, and very gratifying. I just love having customers pick up their vehicles from me simply amazed at how well their vehicles looks. Like I said, it's a very gratifying business.

As an example, here is a customer's Altima that I detailed. It looks like they washed their car with a brillo pad since day once. It was just in horrible shape. I include a CD with before and after pictures for each customer and they were astounded at the difference.

Before

DSC_0426-1.jpg

DSC_0424-1.jpg

DSC_0427-1.jpg

After

DSC_0443.jpg

DSC_0444-1.jpg

DSC_0434-1.jpg

beautiful :shades: