Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

The official Ford authorized Ford Edge Registry is now live. More here!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Ask A Professional Detailer?

• Please log in to reply
450 replies to this topic

#441 OFFLINE   tachessher

tachessher

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 9 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Edge's Year:2012

Posted 17 April 2016 - 10:29 AM

Any tips or suggestions for getting rid of the soot in the tailpipes? I'd like to polish the stainless stee too... Thanks!!!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#442 OFFLINE   richy

richy

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 919 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 03:52 AM

Any tips or suggestions for getting rid of the soot in the tailpipes? I'd like to polish the stainless stee too... Thanks!!!

Wheel acid + Daytona brush

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#443 OFFLINE   FirsttimefordCA

FirsttimefordCA

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 5 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Edge's Year:2015

Posted 15 November 2016 - 11:22 AM

Any ideas how to get zinc based sunscreen out of black leather!?!?!

#444 OFFLINE   enigma-2

enigma-2

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 2,444 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Edge's Year:2009

Posted 16 November 2016 - 08:38 PM

What's the best coating for the windshield?

(Rainx only lasts 30 days or until you use the wipers, whichever comes first.)

#445 OFFLINE   Ginger Smith

Ginger Smith

New Edge Member

• Facebook Member
  • 34 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Edge's Year:2016

Posted 17 November 2016 - 06:56 PM

I've had good luck with Menzerna Jescar powerlock plus polymer sealant.

http://www.detailedi...-with-pictures/

https://www.amazon.c...t/dp/B00P87W0IU

#446 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 8,154 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Edge's Year:Decline

Posted 17 November 2016 - 07:38 PM

FlyByForte is a product Richy uses for the windshield, but he may have updated recommendations, as new products get introduced all the time.  The rest of the glass ... CQuartz Finest.

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W, 17 November 2016 - 07:41 PM.

• enigma-2 likes this

#447 OFFLINE   richy

richy

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 919 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 07:22 AM

What's the best coating for the windshield?

(Rainx only lasts 30 days or until you use the wipers, whichever comes first.)

FlyByForte is a product Richy uses for the windshield, but he may have updated recommendations, as new products get introduced all the time.  The rest of the glass ... CQuartz Finest.

I do still recommend CarPro's FlyByForte.  What I like about it is that you do the blades as well.  The key with any windshield coating is to thoroughly clean the glass prior to application.  Be aggressive with the cleaning, not just window cleaner.  Use a clay bar or a magic eraser with glass cleaner or steel wool dry to get the glass as clean and defect free as possible.   Another product that does work well on glass, just not for a long time is Optimum Opti Seal.  It absolutely rocks on paint and wheels and trim too, so it's a great product to have on hand.

• factor99, WWWPerfA_ZN0W and enigma-2 like this

#448 OFFLINE   richy

richy

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 919 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 07:25 AM

Any ideas how to get zinc based sunscreen out of black leather!?!?!

Yikes!  I'm thinking an APC (all purpose cleaner) like Zep Citrus cut to 4:1 (water:product) along with a microfiber.  Do NOT use a magic eraser on your leather.   Follow that up with a microfiber soaked in either Optimum No Rinse or water that is well wrung out.  Then dry it with another mf.

Leather is porous and hopefully the zinc didn't re-dye that section.  Ultima's Interior Guard is a great product for leather and plastic protection.

Edited by richy, 19 November 2016 - 07:26 AM.

#449 OFFLINE   Groundpounder

Groundpounder

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 70 posts
  • Edge's Year:2016

Posted 19 November 2016 - 08:18 AM

What should I look for in a detailing shop, and what questions should I ask? 

#450 OFFLINE   revitus

revitus

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 34 posts
  • Edge's Year:2017

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:45 AM

Just wanted to say thanks for all of the amazing information on this thread!!!  You have helped me successfully prep and protect my new car.  I'm the happy new owner of an all black 2017 Edge Titanium, and thanks to all of you (as well as my own efforts and quality Meguiar's products), it looks amazing!!!  I took delivery on 7/6, ordered all of my supplies, and started my detailing process 12 days later once I had everything I needed.  I did wash it twice with Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash during those two weeks prior to detailing it.  It rained all day when I picked up my new car, and I was hoping the dealer didn't do much as far as detailing it, and I'm pretty sure they didn't do much.

The total detailing process took me 12 hours to complete the interior and exterior.   I started detailing in my garage on the night of 7/18 which included cleaning, conditioning and protecting my black leather surfaces and all other interior surfaces using Meguiar's Rich Leather Cleaner and Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer Cleaner.  I used Stoner's Invisible Glass for all of the interior glass surfaces.  Total process took about 3 hours with a few breaks.  The next day was hot and humid, and for the first time ever, I washed my new car inside my garage with the door down far enough to keep the direct sunlight off the body of the car!  I used all Meguiar's products, starting with the Gold Class Car Wash, followed by the Smooth Surface Clay Kit (then installed my rear bumper protector), then did the glass with Stoner's Invisible Glass, then sealed everything with Meg's Ultimate Liquid Wax, and the next day I finally went over it with the Gold Class Carnauba Plus Premium Wax (Spray).  I use the Gold Class Quik Detailer almost daily to keep it shiny between washes.  I haven't tended to the wheels yet, but hope to get those cleaned and sealed with the Ultimate Liquid Wax later this week or next weekend.  I will then also apply the Meguiar's Endurance Tire Gel.  I am very happy with the results so far!!!  Detailing my new car is proving to be a very therapeutic process for me.  Thanks everyone!

Attached Files

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W and enigma-2 like this

#451 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 8,154 posts
  • Edge's Year:Decline

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:03 PM

Sometimes you need that quiet time and some sweatmongering to regain a sense of self :)  Well done!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users