Ask A Professional Detailer?

We want Picture then on Monday Wilson :cheerleader:

Oh god! now my feat are held to fire! I've been holding off on any pics because I have been ashamed of the unfinished state of my Edge. I hope to be proud when I'm done.

I'll be using a friend's garage and and taking breaks to visit my NEW GRANDSON!! (born last night. My daughter and grandson are doing well). :happy feet:

I may have to work on my priorities...But I have a 3 day weekend to do it.

Oh god! now my feat are held to fire! I've been holding off on any pics because I have been ashamed of the unfinished state of my Edge. I hope to be proud when I'm done.

I'll be using a friend's garage and and taking breaks to visit my NEW GRANDSON!! (born last night. My daughter and grandson are doing well). :happy feet:

I may have to work on my priorities...But I have a 3 day weekend to do it.

Congrats on so many levels. I am guessing that car won't be done but there will be a proud grandparent.

Wilson, first and foremost a HUGE congrats on the birth of your Grandson! That's just awesome, and I am sure you are just thrilled. happy%20feet.gif:shades::hyper:

Also, good stuff on tackling the detail this weekend. If you need any help with anything, just let me know. PM me if you have any questions and I can give you my cell phone number. :)

Well. I'm feeling the "grandad" now!

I just spent 4 hrs polishing my black beast and boy o boy , I'm pooped!

Everything went well and the car looks great.

The sealant ain't happening till tomorrow though.

I had to stop for "miller time"

Good stuff, glad to hear the detailing is coming along nicely. It's not easy stuff is it? My longest detail in one day was 16 hours........talk about sore afterwards!! :(

• Like 1

CanuckG35,

I live in an area with a lot of gravel roads. Sometimes I can avoid them, sometimes I can't. So there will be plenty of times that my car will get coated with mud and small bits of gravel from the roads. Do you have any recommendations on how I can protect the finish on my edge? I have a 2011 bordeaux red reserve... (my previous vehicle was a truck the color of mud so I didn't worry too much about it)

Also, there is no way that I can hand wash my car in winter, husband shuts off the outside water to prevent the pipes from freezing. Should I just go to a high pressure spray wash that I do myself? Speaking of winter, here in southeast Michigan they think that just because there is a salt mine under the city of Detroit that they need to apply the stuff 3 inches thick on the roads. Worst nightmare is getting behind one of the snowplows and having it shoot chunks of salt at my windshield...

Thanks!

CanuckG35,

I live in an area with a lot of gravel roads. Sometimes I can avoid them, sometimes I can't. So there will be plenty of times that my car will get coated with mud and small bits of gravel from the roads. Do you have any recommendations on how I can protect the finish on my edge? I have a 2011 bordeaux red reserve... (my previous vehicle was a truck the color of mud so I didn't worry too much about it)

Also, there is no way that I can hand wash my car in winter, husband shuts off the outside water to prevent the pipes from freezing. Should I just go to a high pressure spray wash that I do myself? Speaking of winter, here in southeast Michigan they think that just because there is a salt mine under the city of Detroit that they need to apply the stuff 3 inches thick on the roads. Worst nightmare is getting behind one of the snowplows and having it shoot chunks of salt at my windshield...

Thanks!

The best way to protect your vehicle regardless of the environmental conditions is to apply a Sealant. A Carnuba wax will provide the same level of protection as a sealant, however not near as long. :)

From a detailer's perspective regarding winter washing, the most optimal thing you can do is to take your Edge to a local coin op and rinse all of the salt, sand, and dirt from your paint surface. Once that is done, bring it back home and wash it with a rinseless product like Optimum No Rinse or Quick & Easy Wash. These types of rinseless washes will not scratch your paint. If you do not use a product like this during the winter months, I'd simply suggest taking your Edge to the local coin wash and merely rinse the salt and dirt off your paint surface and undercarriage. Just don't let a brush or anything similiar touch your paint surface. :)

Edited by CanuckG35

A few more hours to apply the sealant today and now I'm ready for winter!

Here are some pictures

This Ford paint is WILD!

I did learn a few things this weekend....Detailing ain't easy!

I'm glad I had good lighting where I could move around and see how I was doing.

A stool would have been handy. Day 2, I ended up using a 5 gal bucket to sit on while doing the door panels.

As I applied the sealant, i needed to put less and less on the pad. Too much sealant just makes it too hard to wipe off.

I'm not totally done detailing things like wheels and plastic trim but I'm at least ready for Winter.

Oh. Many thanks to Canuck for all the great info shared. I had no idea how I was screwing up all my previous cars.

Edited by wilsons66604

Good stuff Wilson, your Edge looks fantastic! It's pretty gratifying after you've completed the job isn't it? :)

A couple of great tools when detailing is a halogen lamp like the one below and also a creaper seat. The halogen lamp will really help show the true paint condition of your vehicle.

gnnxs118tc2.jpg

Also, the next time you apply the Power Lock sealant, try applying it by hand instead of machine. You'll use less product and it will make it easy to remove. :)

Edited by CanuckG35

Good stuff Wilson, your Edge looks fantastic! It's pretty gratifying after you've completed the job isn't it? :)

A couple of great tools when detailing is a halogen lamp like the one below and also a creaper seat. The halogen lamp will really help show the true paint condition of your vehicle.

Also, the next time you apply the Power Lock sealant, try applying it by hand instead of machine. You'll use let product and it will make it easy to remove. :)

Yep. I did think ahead and got a halogen light setup like the one you pictured. The creeper seat would have been a big help. Not having it on day one took it's toll!

I think I will go ahead and apply coat 2 of power lock tomorrow. It will be easier by hand.

Of course it was very nice to be able to borrow a friends garage.

Edited by wilsons66604

I was using S&W on a fairly dusty surface.

Does the quality of MF towels make is difference? I got to thinking that the towels I was using were not the plushest towels out there.

Yes, quality of the towels will definitely play a part in it. The ones below are the ones that I use. Also, when wiping down a dirty surface, go back over it with a clean towel.

http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Microfiber-M13/reTHICKulous-Towel-P318/16-x-16-S1/#product-description

Nice Sun Shade Wilsons66604! Where can I get one?

CoverCraft Shade from AutoAnything.com

I love these shades. I've had one on the past 5 cars. They block out 100% of the light.

They are about 3/8 inch thick

With the roof closed, my tinted windows, & this shade, you can't see into my car.

I had to select a 2010 Edge for this one but it fits fine

My ride was delivered a week early and I hadn't decided on claybar, so I panicked and bought a Meguairs Smooth Surface clay kit frm the local O'Reillys. I already have Menzerna Power Lock sealant and Poor Boy's Natty Blue wax that i ordered from DI. Am I going to completely screw up my brand new Tuxedo Black finish by using an off-the-shelf claybar? Has anyone had any experience with Meguairs claybar? If it makes any difference the clay is white.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

My ride was delivered a week early and I hadn't decided on claybar, so I panicked and bought a Meguairs Smooth Surface clay kit frm the local O'Reillys. I already have Menzerna Power Lock sealant and Poor Boy's Natty Blue wax that i ordered from DI. Am I going to completely screw up my brand new Tuxedo Black finish by using an off-the-shelf claybar? Has anyone had any experience with Meguairs claybar? If it makes any difference the clay is white.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

I've used the Meguirs (white) clay bar kit on my Carbon Metallic (a really dark gray); That was the first time I had ever used a clay bar. I couldn't believe how smooth the finish was afterwards. No problems here.

A couple of important points regarding the use of a clay bar. First off, clay is an abrasive substance, and moving it across your paint even with a proper lubricant will cause marring. Now clay bars vary in abrasivness so how much marring you will incur on your paint (along with methods used) will vary greatly.

So from a detailer's perspective, it's ALWAYS recommended to follow up claying with a fine or finising polish to remove any marring incurred by the clay. At that point you can then proceed with your choice of LSP.

Any other questions, just let me know.

OK Canuck, ya scared the crap out of me again. But I do respect your knowledge and experience so I will defer to it.

The last black car I owned was a new 85 Mustang GT. I had to turtle-wax the thing weekly cuz I had swirled the crap out of the paint every time I washed and waxed it. What did I know?

25 years later, I'm hoping to not repeat that again.

I was going to practice claybarring on the old car that has 12 year old white paint but I don't think I'll see the mars (scratches) like I would on fresh black paint.

I think i'll just wash the new car, seal it, and either give it another coat of sealant or else the wax for the winter prep.

...And then go cry myself to sleep.