tire treatment

Looking for opinions on Tire treatments. Have used several in the past. It would be nice to use something that enhanced the black, had some protection qualities and also did not remain greasy. I live semi rural area and have about a 2 block drive on gravel road before pavement. The grease attracts the road dust.

As a detailer, I have tried the vast majority of tire dressings on the market. My favourite and go to tire dressing for customer vehicles (as well as my own) Is Poorboys Bold N Bright. It's a water based tire dressing that provides a great matte finish, is extremely durable, and does not sling. Which one is "best" is a hard question to answer though as some people like the matte finish while others like the wet look. In any case, whatever tire dressing you choose, make sure it is water based and not solvent based. Some solvent based tire dressings can discolour and damage your tires as they change the composition of the rubber.

Solvent based water dressings are typically gels, foams, or clear greasy liquids, while water based tire dressings are typically a milky white liquid.

I hope that helps. :)

As a detailer, I have tried the vast majority of tire dressings on the market. My favourite and go to tire dressing for customer vehicles (as well as my own) Is Poorboys Bold N Bright. It's a water based tire dressing that provides a great matte finish, is extremely durable, and does not sling. Which one is "best" is a hard question to answer though as some people like the matte finish while others like the wet look. In any case, whatever tire dressing you choose, make sure it is water based and not solvent based. Some solvent based tire dressings can discolour and damage your tires as they change the composition of the rubber.

Solvent based water dressings are typically gels, foams, or clear greasy liquids, while water based tire dressings are typically a milky white liquid.

thanks Canuck, the last one I tried and at least like the look and it was less greasy was ICE by Turtle wax. Any idea if that is solvent or water based?

• 2 weeks later...

I have to disagree with you on the solvent based tire dressings. I have used Megs Endurance, DP High Gloss gel, and Opti Bond and I find they last like crazy and give an awesome appearance. My customers love the appearance the tires have when they get the vehicle back.

I have to disagree with you on the solvent based tire dressings. I have used Megs Endurance, DP High Gloss gel, and Opti Bond and I find they last like crazy and give an awesome appearance. My customers love the appearance the tires have when they get the vehicle back.

The issue with solvent based tire dressings is not that they do not look good or do not last, it's that they can damage your tires over time. It's a widely known issue with solvent based tire dressings, which is why virtually all professional tire dressings are water based. Pretty much only the OTC stuff is solvent based.

The issue with solvent based tire dressings is not that they do not look good or do not last, it's that they can damage your tires over time. It's a widely known issue with solvent based tire dressings, which is why virtually all professional tire dressings are water based. Pretty much only the OTC stuff is solvent based.

Shane, I'm not looking to argue and can admit that I don't know everything, but, I was always under the impression that water based had more to do with VOC compliance than anything. I have been using them on my own cars for over 10 years with no issues. I did, however, consult a PHD chemist who works for Duragloss and this was his response to me:

Rich

Some solvent based tire dressings are just fine because they use a solvents that evaporate completely but some of them use mineral oil as an extender and these will be bad for the rubber. I always advise people to be careful and keep a close eye on the tires and make sure they do not start to show those real fine crack lines that will get worse over time. Our 281 and our aerosol 265 contain no any mineral oils and will actually add the life of the tires. These are proven facts that people have reported

back to us over a 10 year period. Thanks so much Rich. I hope this helps out. God Bless my friend. Jerry

I highly respect his very, very educated opinion. So, I guess it comes down to some may be hazardous to the rubber and some may not.

Cheers,

Rich

^ Good post Rich, thanks. I completely agree that not all solvent based tire dressings are made equal and that some may not be harmful to your tires. Having said that, since the vast majority of us are not chemists, my personal opinion is to play it safe and use water based tire dressings only for my customers. I just don't feel comfortable using or recommending a product that can potentially be harmful on customer's tires.

Thanks again for the post Rich, great info. :)