Polished Aluminum

2011 22" polished aluminum. Do these wheels have a fachory coating? I"m not sure what to use.

Meguiars NXT all medal polish, Eagle 1 never dull, ArmorAll wheel protectant?

I have fine scratches already. Someone at the dealer must have cleaned these wheels with sand paper. Tomorrow will be the first time that I wash the sport. Im gonna clay and wax it. But not sure what to use on the wheels. I need to order some poorboys sealant. But have some NXT all metal polish, can i use this or just use my never dull for now?

Maybe canukG35 can cime in...

That's a shame that you have some fine scratches on your brand new wheels!! If you feel that they were incurred by the dealership, I would certainly be asking for 4 brand new wheels. If that avenune proves to be unsuccessful and you have to do it yourself, I would start by using P21S Finish Restorer to remove the scratches. I would then follow it up with either Wheel Wax or Poorboys Wheel Sealant.

That's a shame that you have some fine scratches on your brand new wheels!! If you feel that they were incurred by the dealership, I would certainly be asking for 4 brand new wheels. If that avenune proves to be unsuccessful and you have to do it yourself, I would start by using P21S Finish Restorer to remove the scratches. I would then follow it up with either Wheel Wax or Poorboys Wheel Sealant.

I'll see what the dealer can do. What about the Meguiars NXT all medal polish or Eagle 1 never dull, would that be ok for now?

Those fine scratches are the way the wheels are supposed to look. It's machined aluminium with a clear coat. Note how the 'scratches' aren't on the painted black part of the wheel. Do not bother claying or polishing, you'll only remove clear coat for no reason. Give them a good cleaning, get that Poorboy's World Sealant on them, and you'll love how they look.

• 10 months later...

Those fine scratches are the way the wheels are supposed to look. It's machined aluminium with a clear coat. Note how the 'scratches' aren't on the painted black part of the wheel. Do not bother claying or polishing, you'll only remove clear coat for no reason. Give them a good cleaning, get that Poorboy's World Sealant on them, and you'll love how they look.

Unfortunately, I agree with you Cody. I was concerned myself when I took delivery of my Black Edge Sport 4 days ago. I purchased it on order and it was delivered to the dealer the day I picked it up. I'm a bit over the top so I didn't even let the dealer wash it. They had already removed most of the plastics, and the car was filthy from transport. As I started my first detail, I noticed the 'scratches' in the 'chrome' parts of the rims. The rims still had some small green stickers that read "peel here," so I figured the proof would be in the pudding - had the rims somehow been rubbed to introduce the 'scratches,' there'd be none under the little green stickers. And sure enough, those 'scratches' or polishing/machining marks continued underneath the green stickers.

So even though I don't particularly like it, I believe that's how they're supposed to be. Obviously they can't be polished further with the clear coat on top.

J

• 6 months later...

glad I saw this thread as I gave my edge sport it's first full bath since taking ownership of it 2 weeks ago and noticed all the scratches in the polished aluminum. Figured I'd try to hand polish it a bit with some Meguiars 205 but that didn't do anything. So now I see that is how it's supposed to be. One thing that sucks is they didn't do a good job cleaning the residue off the wheels that was left on from the plastic covers and also they didn't do a good job taking those covers off because its still all stuck between the tire and wheel lip, going to need tweezers to pull it out.

I did noticed a few pits in the surface of one wheel which although minute, not real happy about. What can you do though.

Edited by c_bova

• 5 months later...

What products do you guys find works well for cleaning up these wheels? I have not found anything I like very well. I wash them with soap and water, and then do my best to get spots off them with Mequires glass cleaner. Is there a one shot product that will work well on these things?

• 2 months later...

What products do you guys find works well for cleaning up these wheels? I have not found anything I like very well. I wash them with soap and water, and then do my best to get spots off them with Mequires glass cleaner. Is there a one shot product that will work well on these things?

If you give them a good wash with Dawn dish detergent, a wipe with isopropyl alcohol, and then seal them with a sealant like:

Optimum Opti-coat http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-coat.html

or

Car-pro Cquartz http://www.autogeek.net/cquartz-dlux.html

Then youll have an easier time cleaning them, really more like a rinse without a lot of aggressive agitation.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2010 limited wit factory plastic wheel covers,between the spokes the covers have dirt or oxidation ,what should be use to remove dirt,thanks Marty

curious as to why you picked this thread to post your question?

i'll answer but it should go somewhere else. any kind of all purpose cleaner should work, simple green usually will do a good job diluted some. I like meguiars apc+.

• 2 months later...

For the Chrome-clad wheels on the Limited (both the 18's and 20's) use Eagle One Chrome wheel & tire cleaner (in a silver spray bottle)....can be found at walmart or any auto parts store. It cuts through the heavy gunk on the chrome with just some minor scrubbing of a sponge or cotton wash cloth. Been using the stuff for years and it keeps the chrome perfect. Haven't experienced the Sport wheels yet