Oil change intervals

sniperpride

Related to this topic is it a good idea to do the first oil change early following the break in period?

Not necessary. In the past mfrs used special break-in oil or there were "metal shavings" that needed to be removed but that's no longer the case. You can do it if it makes you feel better but it's not required.

• 5 years later...

Hi All,

Does anyone know how many miles the 100% oil minder setting is? I usually change oil/filter around 3000 miles. The last time I changed oil I set the minder to 50% . the oil monitor came on at 2000 miles. which is telling me 4000 miles is 100% ???

We drive normal conditions.

Thanks

Larry

I change my oil more often than recommended because I believe that it is cheaper to change oil than parts - (same with tranny, rear diff, PTU, brakes and PS fluid).

Also I believe that the Manufacturer has no interest in making the vehicle last longer than the warranty period plus a buffer. I keep my vehicles a long time and for years have changed the oil and filter every 5000 miles, and have had no problems with oil related problems. I change the oil /filter myself and buy whatever name brand synthetic oil I can get plus a decent filter (AKA anything but Fram) - usually WIX. Many say that is wasting oil - but the oil get recycled anyway so not wasted - just reprocessed for another use. Some use Oil Analysis services but I like the 'change on the 5's' approach. Easy to remember and not dependent on how I drive or what the temperature is.

• Like 1

Hi All,

Does anyone know how many miles the 100% oil minder setting is? I usually change oil/filter around 3000 miles. The last time I changed oil I set the minder to 50% . the oil monitor came on at 2000 miles. which is telling me 4000 miles is 100% ???

We drive normal conditions.

Thanks

Larry

From the owners manual:

Your oil change service interval can be up to one year or 10,000 miles (16,000 km)

With my 2011 MKX, I always reset it to 50% and consistently get the reminder at 5000 miles. For me it is so consistent that I don't believe it takes any thing into consideration except for distance. Also note that were I live we get extremely high weather, easily 120+ for most of the summer. Also our driving is an extreme city cycle.

Edited by omar302
  • Like 1

I have the 2011 sport and I'm pretty sure that the OLM is mileage based. I did not see IOLM in the manual.

I've been running Synth Blend and I'm at 5500 miles now. Oil looks like it needs to be changed very soon but OLM states 56%

So it seems to me that the OLM is assuming I'm using Full Synth.

Edited by mcali6301
  • Like 1

The OLM does not measure the use of the vehicle as far as idle, frequent stop and go or just highway use. I know this as a fact. My Edge is used 95 percent interstate and the OLM mileage reads and counts down exactly the same as my wife's identical 2011 Edge which is nothing but short runs and start stop city driving with no interstate. It counts down the same miles as my Edge does. OLM is nothing more than a count down clock and does absolutely no analysis of your driving habits or the type of oil you use. Took me 500,000 miles in three Ford Edge's of combined mileage and the results have always been the same.

Oil brand makes no difference at all. Change it at 5000 miles with bulk synblend oil and bulk filter and you will drive it forever or at least to 300k miles.

• Like 1