Microsoft & Automobiles

revOevoM

Looking a bit more into this Microsoft thing, I found that soon an SDK will be available for developers to design and develop their own apps for SYNC. Now, Apple's got nothin' on us!

With the available SYNC API's, mobile application developers will be able to do some of the following:

1. Create a voice UI for your application using the in-vehicle speech recognition system.
  2. Write information to the radio head display or in-vehicle touchscreen
  3. Speak text using text-to-speech engine.
  4. Use the in-vehicle menu system to provide commands or options for your mobile application
  5. Get button presses from the radio and steering wheel controls.
  6. Receive vehicle data (speed, GPS location, fuel economy, etc.)

The official API and full website launch is set to be targeted for later this year.

Looks pretty cool. I won't say, but I already have some ideas brewin'. :ninja:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I ran across this link today regarding the latest Android app for Pandora that "adds support for Ford SYNC® AppLink" (theoretically allows Pandora to be controlled via the car controls). Engadget discusses here.

So, I went out to the SyncMyRide developer site to see if there's any new news... like has the SDK been unleashed?. The site's conveniently "Unavailable."

Anyone out there know what's going on? Hows come Pandora gets the SDK and we don't?

I ran across this link today regarding the latest Android app for Pandora that "adds support for Ford SYNC® AppLink" (theoretically allows Pandora to be controlled via the car controls). Engadget discusses here.

So, I went out to the SyncMyRide developer site to see if there's any new news... like has the SDK been unleashed?. The site's conveniently "Unavailable."

Anyone out there know what's going on? Hows come Pandora gets the SDK and we don't?

Because that was one of the beta test apps that Ford worked with to demonstrate the capabilities.

Fine. Partners get it first. I understand that. But, how long do ya think they've had it in order to create this latest compatible version? When do we get to play?

I don't think it's ready yet. The Pandora and one other app were done for demonstration purposes. Or maybe they're letting all the commercial apps get a head start. Who knows.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an FYI but pandora, weather channel, a number of other apps are now the subject of a class action lawsuit. They have been gathering personally identifiable data on individual users and selling it. Ever wonder why pandora needs to access your contacts? It doesnt need to do so to function for those who are not familiar with this application, its all about data mining.