Honda CRV or Edge?

meb

I'm trying to decide between the Honda CRV and Ford Edge. I'm so tired of my Ford Windstar needing repairs....constant since warranty ran out. I love the space for kids but I promised myself I would buy a Honda that didn't need constant repairs out of warranty. Really do not want those recalls and repairs! My brother works for Ford so the A plan is attractive. I hate car buying!

Really do not want those recalls and repairs!

Have you not seen the Honda recalls recently? Outside of the AWD PTU seal problem and some release 1.0 software nitpicks with the 2011 mytouch interface the Edge has been fairly trouble free.

And the 2011 Edge blows away the CRV in interior comfort and amenities. You really need to drive both and decide based on that. Reliability is close enough to not be a deciding factor outside of maybe the AWD PTU seals which may or may not still be an issue in cold climates.

• 3 weeks later...

Bought my Ford Edge 2 weeks ago...as i was learning the "my touch" system, it became obvious that it was not functioning well at all...then it died. Now my brand new car is in the shop with Dealer telling me Ford has no fix for the problem and this is a wide spread problem! Yiks! Negotiations with General Manager going on now to return the car!

You will return it for nothing...I can tell you this is a great car.

Just wait and see..this thing is updatable.So it will be updated at some point in time.

What I don't understand..is that I have had zero trouble so far. Why some work and some don't just does not fit. I mean, they all come from the same place..and not 3 years apart.

But mine works as advertised..all of it. It's just great.

Cheers

Edited by Stephen
  • Like 1

Bought my Ford Edge 2 weeks ago...as i was learning the "my touch" system, it became obvious that it was not functioning well at all...then it died. Now my brand new car is in the shop with Dealer telling me Ford has no fix for the problem and this is a wide spread problem! Yiks! Negotiations with General Manager going on now to return the car!

I spoke to my service manager when the update was first posted (before it went away) and he had not heard of any issues till he went digging. There are reports matching what others here are saying, but he wouldn't call it wide spread. They are known though and that is the first step to fixing.

• 3 months later...

I just traded in my 2007 Honda CR-V on a 2011 Edge. The CR-V gave us no service problems over the 4-1/2 years, but we do a lot of driving and the CR-V was frustrating for two reasons. First, the ride is firm, the engine is noisy and the seats are hard - we really got tired driving on trips. Second, the fuel economy is disappointing for a 4-cylinder, low powered economy vehicle. We'd generally get 19 or 20 around town and were lucky to get 26 on trips. The 2011 Edge V6 is a dream to drive by comparison. Hopefully the fuel economy will be as advertised.

Edited by Marketing Prof

:banghead:

I feel the same, the CRV is more comparable to an Escape. As a matter of fact, a few months ago, a friend that had FMC products most of her life, went out and bought a CRV. She likes the CRV, but admits that she should have gone with the Escape. She said the CRV is nice, but feels everything inside is very cheap, xompared to the Escape.

I'm trying to decide between the Honda CRV and Ford Edge. I'm so tired of my Ford Windstar needing repairs....constant since warranty ran out. I love the space for kids but I promised myself I would buy a Honda that didn't need constant repairs out of warranty. Really do not want those recalls and repairs! My brother works for Ford so the A plan is attractive. I hate car buying!

US products have come a long way. Untill the late '90's my Detroit stuff would spend alot of their first year in the shop. Then, at least for me, things changed. My '04 Avalanche and '06 Chrysler 300C are basically trouble free. I haven't had the Edge long enough to know but I do enjoy it. It's well made, comfortable, has decent fuel economy for what it is, and although not 300C quick, the performance does not dissappoint. This Limited is my wife's and I am considering a Sport for myself. I'd do that tomorrow if they were to offer the 365 HP V-6 but I might do it anway. That's how much I like it.

i used to own a

honda crv / acura rl - requires to change timing belt every 90,000 miles..will cost you aprrox. up to $1,000 including the replacement of your water pump

rear main seal leaks comes on 120,000 miles

valve cover seals leaks at 90,000 miles

rear springs comes softer in 80,000 miles, and it makes your tire rubs the fender on most bumps

expensive parts and maintenance because parts are coming from Japan

less hp/torque

only 4 speed lol!

gas mileage was terrible because of 4 speed tranny..it keeps your rpm higher all the time

installed flow master and a dc header..sounds like a fart can ricer

now i bought a...

ford edge - doesn't need to change the timing chain hahaha=) your engine will rock til it dies!

ford will run forever as long you'll take a good care of it! no big maintenance required!

cheaper parts and service ,since it's an American!!!

more horse power / torque

6 speed tranny!

installed a gibson header and a flowmaster super 44..it sounds like a 3.7 L mustang v6 =)

decently gas mileage

• Like 1

Have to agree on repairs, costs have gone up on all cars, but friends/relatives that have foreign cars, spend WAY MORE on simple maintenance visits spend tons more. A friend has a Lexus RX350, when he had his 15,000 mile service, it was oil/tires/multi point

inspection, ran him $160 and change. Exact same service on my wife's MKS ran thirty something dollars !

Edited by JOEHIO

• 1 year later...

I own both a 2012 Honda FWD CRV (New Model) EX L with Nav, and a 2012 FWD 3.5 Edge Limited with NAV. Edge about $8000 more. There is no comparison.....The Edge is a lot more car.....in about every way you can measure. And it should be....it costs more. Although interior volume is about the same on both. FE on CRV is about 25 around town and 32-33 on hwy...for me. Same driving style in Edge.....about 20 around town, and 26-28 on hwy.

I do believe the CRV is more car for the money....just not more car. CRV will probably be cheaper to own....fewer gadgets to fix, better resale etc. BTW.....No timing belts on CRV.....They use chains, just like Edge. Believe most Honda products now use timing chains. CRV weighs about 400-500 lbs less than Edge, and has a 185 HP engine with 5 speed servicable transmission. Performance adequate for me in CRV, but Edge stronger if you live in hilly country, at altitude, tow, drive with a heavy foot, etc. Both 0-60's mid 8's CRV, mid 7's Edge.

They are really not in same category. Just can't compare them. (CRV does hold my bike upright inside....Edge won't.....that's why I bought the CRV)

When I go on a trip.....I take the Edge. It's more comfortable. Better seats, nicer gadgets, etc. Both have voice recognition for phone and NAV, but graphics on dash are much better and more modern on Edge.

New model CRV better compared to new model Escape. (as noted above)

Edited by RJG

I agree the two vehicles are very different. I drove an older CR-V up until this May when I bought my 13 Edge. The Honda was a great vehicle but the ONLY thing the honda had over my edge was fuel economy. Nothing else even comes close. Stiff, choppy and uncomfortable ride. Very underpowered.

I looked at the new CR-V's when I started shopping around and with even less interior space than my old one, I felt very crammed into it. My children are 11 and 7 and they needed some extra space in the back as well. My second choice was actually the Nissan Murano. Glad I stuck with my first choice.

Edge all the way.

• 2 months later...

Currently in the market for a new SUV/Crossover. CR-V was out of the running right out of the gates. Way too small and very poor visibility from the driving position. Also pretty darn expensive and Honda dealers don't discount much. Honda Pilot and the new Acura RDX are the ones that are under serious consideration. RDX with the tech package and the Pilot in EX-L trim are going to run $37K out the door which by my estimates is about $3-4K higher than what it will cost for the Edge Limited AWD.

I like the RDX best, but the car is for my wife so she gets to decide. The Ford dealer offered a multi-day test drive for my wife. Great "puppy dog" approach from the dealer :)

We'll see how it goes.

Good move, tourphoto. We previously owned a 2005 CR-V and looked into a 2013 CR-V when we bought the Edge. The new car was mainly going to be my wife's and she was initially more comfortable with the CR-V, mainly in terms of its smaller size. You do get a lot more gadgets for the money with the CR-V, but it's definitely more toy-like than the Edge. The Eco button for fuel economy is a joke -- just changes the shift timing and the saleman told us he recommended turning it off because performance suffers. On the test drive I did play with Eco and it really robbed an under-powered engine that much more. There was no comparison between the Edge and the CR-V in terms of comfort. The Nav system on the CR-V was knocked by one of the magazine reviews for being "archaic." That turned out to be an understatement. The text on the screen looked like something from an '80's video arcade game, so much so that it looked like it was designed for or by a pre-schooler. The car just felt small. It rode ok, better than our old CR-V, but it was still a tiny car. Why Honda continues to offer just a grossly underpowered 4 cylinder engine is beyond me. And that blind spot created by the rear pillar was a real liability, especially without having any kind of BLIS-like visibility feature available, and that was the biggest deal breaker for my wife. Payload rating is a lot lower too, and on my older, beefier CR-V, the back clearly sagged when we loaded it for week vacations trips to Cape Cod. Just didn't think the cute redesign was going to be up for the job of some light hauling. Not to mention Honda's ratings taking a hit over the past 2 years. Even in the showroom, it felt like a car that would lose its new car aura in about an hour or so.

We have no regrets at all over getting the Edge over the CR-V. We feel more like adults driving the Edge. It's far more comfortable. And the Ford dealer gave us so many incentives to work with that the price gap betrween the Edge and a loaded CR-V kept getting smaller and smaller to the point where it was harder to justify trading down to the CR-V, considering all the extra features and ride quality we got with the Edge.

We didn't take the Pilot out, but just sitting in it and looking at the design, my personal first impressions were "Truck" and "Old School." I had the same feeling about the Jeep Grand Cherokee, which we actually did take out for a test drive, and then promptly drove back to the dealer's lot. Of the larger vehicles we considered, my wife was ok with the Edge, but was getting more concerned about the size and maneuverability of the Pilot, Jeep, and Highlander. You mentioned the blind side in the CR-V, and I had the same feeling about the Highlander, which has a gigantic blind side on the rear side window. From the outside the glass area looks large, but on the inside you'll quickly realize that most of that small rear side window is masked with black paint for some reason. The actual clear glass area is about the size of an index card, which is worthless when glancing over your shoulder though the rear headrests while trying to make a quick lane change at 65 mph.

These are just personal reactions based on our preferences and needs, and everyone makes different choices based on different criteria. Good luck with your decision!

• 3 weeks later...

In above post, I mention I own a 2012 CRV EX L with NAV, and a 2012 Edge Limited with NAV.

I said the Edge is a lot more vehicle, it costs a lot more, and the CRV should really be compared to the Escape. The Edge is way more comfortable on trips, and is way more refined than the CRV.....as it should be for about $8000 or so more. Back seat comfort and rear leg room in the Edge is about as good as it gets, something important to us. And I much prefer the info screen with Sirius VS the plain screen in the Honda with XM. And the Edge back up camera is far better than the back up camera in CRV. So just no comparison between the two vehicles.

But to set the record straight.....The CRV has slightly more interior volume than the Edge, contrary to what you might think if you just sit in one, because while more narrow than the Edge, it's a good bit taller inside. So the CRV appeals to a lot of us for hauling our expensive bikes inside, where we can haul bikes up right with fork mount, and stuff like that.

I also like the ECON button in the CRV. It basically changes the shift pattern for the auto trans so it shifts to next gear a little sooner, and it alters AC so it stays in recirculate mode most of the time (but not all the time)....saving some fuel. So for just idling around town at light throttle in mostly level terrain, I think it's a neat idea, because in the same conditions where our Edge ges about 20 MPG, the CRV is usually in the 28-29 MPG range. And sure....the CRV is no hot rod.....0-60 in 8's, Edge in 7's. When you maintain 3 vehicles like I do, anytime I can get an exra 100 miles out of a tank of fuel (as compared to 3.5 Edge), well....that's good, and the savings add up. Would imagine the EB engine would help a little in this area. For highway use where I might want a little more passing power, or in hilly terrain, I drive with ECON off. However....as said above....our Edge is more powerful and more comfortable.

So....Sure our Edge is a terrific vehicle, and is what I drive when on a trip, or when I just want to drive the nicer vehicle, and it's much more refined than the Honda with much newer technology, etc. Just hope Escape measures up to CRV. it should....Escape also has newer technology. Honda will probably hold value better than Escape, and be overall cheaper to drive. Not so many CRV's sold to rental car companies, then dumped on market cheap....something that doesn't help used values of hi volume Ford vehicles.

Edited by RJG

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Except for the reliability of a Honda :) I have the Edge and love it, but reading through forums I seem to find a lot of owners having problems with their Edge. Either the my touch, or the exhaust fumes coming in, door latch problems, tire and alignment issues, throttle body issues, etc. I love american cars but respect the Japs for the cars they make also