Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Edge Forum - the largest Ford Edge forum discussion board on the web. You must register to create new topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Benefits of membership:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images. . .and more!
Click here to signup now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Whats everyones favorite Wax / Sealant and Car wash products?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Lorinzo

Lorinzo

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 19 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Edge's Year:2013

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:50 AM

Chemical Guys.

I am located in Los Angeles.  I attended a detail class and have attended car meets/shows at the Chemical Guys office.  They also have a bunch of YouTube videos.

I can't claim to know the differences in brands.  However, I know that Chemical Guys products have worked for me and they have EVERYTHING you might need to make your vehicle look amazing.

• PrinzII and samiam like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   fishx65

fishx65

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 632 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:12 PM

I just finished an application of Duragloss 111/601 on my 2011 after a thorough clay bar session.  Applying this Duragloss product by hand is identical to applying Zaino Z-2.  Same consistency and ease of application and it only took me about 1 tablespoon to do my entire Edge!!!  I did try the Duragloss 105/601 combo last year but it was harder to apply and I did not get good durability through a tough Michigan winter.  If the 111/601 combo comes even close to Zaino Z-2 in the durability department I'll be using it for a long time.  Duragloss 111 plus the 601 bonding agent will set ya back around $20.00 which is about $10.00-$15.00 cheaper then the Z-1/ZFX Zaino combo.

111 has always been compared to Z-2 and I now understand why. 

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#23 OFFLINE   Kitulu

Kitulu

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 106 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:10 PM

For waxing, I use this stuff called IBIZ...my mom picked up a case of it about 15 years ago, I think we are down to the last few bottles, lol!

#24 OFFLINE   PrinzII

PrinzII

Ford Edge Addict

• 1,546 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Edge's Year:2011

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:52 PM

Chemical Guys.

I am located in Los Angeles.  I attended a detail class and have attended car meets/shows at the Chemical Guys office.  They also have a bunch of YouTube videos.

I can't claim to know the differences in brands.  However, I know that Chemical Guys products have worked for me and they have EVERYTHING you might need to make your vehicle look amazing.

Plus they do tend to be cheaper.

#25 OFFLINE   autom8r

autom8r

New Edge Member

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 247 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Edge's Year:2008

Posted 18 June 2015 - 12:31 AM

3D Products.

http://www.3dproducts.com/store

Great detailing products and great advice.

Use polishes and waxes with the Harbor Freight - Chicago Electric Power Tools Dual Action Polisher - Item#69924

Have fun!

#26 OFFLINE   WingNut

WingNut

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 824 posts
  • Edge's Year:2015

Posted 18 June 2015 - 10:58 AM

Wax: AquaWax, Optimum Car Wax, or a few other spray waxes for regular application.  I may put something more durable on right before the winter.

Sealant:  Opti-Seal.  To easy to use.  Great protection.

Wash:  Optimum No Rinse (ONR)

Tire Shine:  Opti-Bond diluted 1:1

Interior:  Aerospace 303 after wiping down with a damp cloth (usually damp with ONR from a wash).

#27 OFFLINE   tron1974

tron1974

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 133 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Edge's Year:Decline

Posted 29 June 2015 - 09:50 AM

I have bought a ton of stuff over the years and need to use up what I have.Target had a ton of Meguiars stuff on clearance once and I bought a ton of Quik Detailer and Quik Interior Detailer (still have a bunch in the basement), Gold Class wash and wax and clay kits. 

Wash - Meguiars Gold Class 

Wax - Meguiars Gold Class paste or Meguiars NXT spray wax

Interior - 303 Protectant on dash, Mother's VLR to clean and condition the leather (I also have some Lexol 3-in1 cleaner/conditioner too)

Tires - 303 Protectant but I want to try other stuff

Wheels - Sonex Wheel cleaner

Quick wax/cleaner to get Bugs or bird doo off - Meguiars Wash/Wax Anywhere (this stuff works better than any quick detailer I tried)

I want to grab some no-rinse wash. Time is not what it used to be. 

I love the look my wife gives me when I buy yet another care care product.  :)

• PrinzII likes this

#28 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Ford Edge Legal Resident

• Edge Platinum Member
  • 7,208 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 06:49 PM

If going to NR wash, be sure to bone up on the 2 or even 3 bucket methods shown on YouTube, especially useful for people living in condos & places with water restrictions.  I think Gary Dean, Adams and Ammo NYC among others have pretty good ones up there.  Distilled water will be your friend :)

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W, 29 June 2015 - 06:51 PM.

#29 OFFLINE   Redbow

Redbow

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 113 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:22 AM

ClearKote, only thing I use on my 57 T-Bird and Edge.

Burke

#30 OFFLINE   PrinzII

PrinzII

Ford Edge Addict

• 1,546 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain

Posted 13 July 2015 - 02:06 PM

My favorite OTC wheel cleaner is Eagle One A2Z.

#31 OFFLINE   tron1974

tron1974

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 133 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 10:28 AM

Wax: AquaWax, Optimum Car Wax, or a few other spray waxes for regular application.  I may put something more durable on right before the winter.

Sealant:  Opti-Seal.  To easy to use.  Great protection.

Wash:  Optimum No Rinse (ONR)

Tire Shine:  Opti-Bond diluted 1:1

Interior:  Aerospace 303 after wiping down with a damp cloth (usually damp with ONR from a wash).

Just received some ONR Wash & Wax. Stuff is freaken awesome! Why have I never used it before? I washed 3 cars in the time it would take to wash 1. Just need to grab some better spray wax, I am running out of Meguiars NXT stuff. 

#32 OFFLINE   WingNut

WingNut

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 824 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:14 AM

Just received some ONR Wash & Wax. Stuff is freaken awesome! Why have I never used it before? I washed 3 cars in the time it would take to wash 1. Just need to grab some better spray wax, I am running out of Meguiars NXT stuff. 

Yup.  After using ONR I have never went back to traditional washing (unless a car is covered in dirt/mud/salt.....then I may take it through a touchless wash first).

Duragloss Aquawax is a good spray wax.  I buy it by the gallon.  You can find the smaller spray bottle at CarQuest.

If you are applying Spray Wax after ONR W&W, you may want to just buy the regular ONR (blue stuff) to save a few bucks.  I buy ONR by the gallon from Amazon Prime.

#33 OFFLINE   tron1974

tron1974

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 133 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 09:11 AM

Yup.  After using ONR I have never went back to traditional washing (unless a car is covered in dirt/mud/salt.....then I may take it through a touchless wash first).

Duragloss Aquawax is a good spray wax.  I buy it by the gallon.  You can find the smaller spray bottle at CarQuest.

If you are applying Spray Wax after ONR W&W, you may want to just buy the regular ONR (blue stuff) to save a few bucks.  I buy ONR by the gallon from Amazon Prime.

Thanks for the reply. I ended up buying the green ONR because it was only a couple bucks more. I will probably buy the regular ONR next time. I want to get a good paint sealant. I was thinking one of the Chemical Guys products like M-Seal. Amazon seems to have all kinds of coupons lately on CG products so I was waiting for one on one of their paint sealants. I might pick up a bottle of Duragloss to try it, since it seems pretty cheap. My auto care products collection is growing each time I learn more... 

#34 OFFLINE   kkreit01

kkreit01

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 41 posts
  • Edge's Year:2014

Posted 23 July 2015 - 10:15 AM

I use a bit of everything. I used to frequent a couple of detailing forums.

Wash - 2 Lowes buckets with grit guards, 2 HD grout sponges, bug sponge. My favorite wash is Duragloss or Megs Gold Class, or Optimum No-Rinse in winter.
Interior Cleaner/Protectant - Surf City Garage Dash Away, Big Block, or Black Edge
Dry - waterfall method + Absorber XL
Sealant - Duragloss 501 mixed 4:1 with Duragloss Polish Bonding Agent, Collinite Insulator Wax 845 (hate the smell)
Wax - Duragloss AquaWax
Tire Dressing - Surf City Garage Beyond Black, No Touch Original Satin (I hate greasy/glossy tires)
Exterior Trim - Megs Ultimate Black, Surf City Garage Black Max
Clay - Griot's Garage
Clay Lube - ONR diluted to QD strength

#35 OFFLINE   WingNut

WingNut

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 824 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 10:27 AM

Thanks for the reply. I ended up buying the green ONR because it was only a couple bucks more. I will probably buy the regular ONR next time. I want to get a good paint sealant. I was thinking one of the Chemical Guys products like M-Seal. Amazon seems to have all kinds of coupons lately on CG products so I was waiting for one on one of their paint sealants. I might pick up a bottle of Duragloss to try it, since it seems pretty cheap. My auto care products collection is growing each time I learn more... 

I use Opti-Seal and man is it awesome.  The bottle has lasted me for years and I still have 75% left.  That is after applying it at least 6-7 times to a car.  A little bit goes a long way.  Just spray on pad, apply, and keep moving.  No buffing.  Just don't use a lot.  One spray will do an entire panel.  If you use too much, you'll see what looks like a greasy stain from it not absorbing.  Quick wipe and it is gone.

And since it is so easy to apply, using it every few months is simple.

#36 OFFLINE   macbwt

macbwt

Ford Edge Fanatic

• Edge Member
  • 2,181 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:35 PM

Usually gets washed when it rains.  Other than that not much else.  I might wash it a hand full of times a year.

#37 OFFLINE   Frisco1522

Frisco1522

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 36 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley

Posted 23 August 2015 - 10:34 PM

I just bought a 2015 Titanium with Platinum Tri Coat Metallic three weeks ago.

Last weekend I hand washed and Mequiar clay barred it, then used Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant on it.  Very happy with how it looks.  Even new, the claybar smoothed it like glass.

Looked so good, I did my '09 blue Ranger.  It looks super now.

Wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be.

Are products like Mequiars detailing spray worth the trouble?

#38 OFFLINE   WingNut

WingNut

Ford Edge Enthusiast

• Edge Member
  • 824 posts

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:42 AM

Are products like Mequiars detailing spray worth the trouble?

What do you mean "worth the trouble"?

A detailing spray is good for a quick touch up that may add a little gloss and a slick feel.  Detailing sprays rarely have any kind of long lasting protective properties.

I only use detailing spray to do spot clean ups from water spots, bird poop, etc.  Once the car has been driven for a few days and outside, I will usually just wash it if it needs touching up due to dust and other stuff.

I really like spray waxes to top my sealants with.  I'll use them as a drying aid every few weeks.

#39 OFFLINE   tron1974

tron1974

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 133 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 07:56 AM

Finally got around to really cleaning and prepping the Edge for winter. I wanted to try something new and researched what @Wingnut uses. I washed with ONR+Wax and clayed. Grabbed some Opti-Seal (I needed something easy and that lasts a while) and some really cheap Duragloss Aquawax (Carquest is clearing it out at $4.50 a bottle).

Opti-seal is just plain awesome and easy to work with. I barely used any for both cars. This bottle will last me 10 years. I added it to the windows also as well as all the lights.

I also did my wife's silver Rogue and my mother-in-law stopped over and was amazed at how well it looked and shined.

Edited by tron1974, 26 October 2015 - 07:57 AM.

#40 OFFLINE   Redbow

Redbow

New Edge Member

• Edge Member
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:39 AM

Not found anything better than "Clearkote"  Only thing I use on my 57 Bird.  Clearkote.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users