Groaning/grinding brakes

Hello all. My wife & I just bought an 07 SEL+ AWD recently with 44k on the OD. My problem is with the brakes. When you just start driving all is fine until you have applied the brakes a few times, then they sound like they are grinding (also sounds like binding). IN traffic it is unbearable to hear this sound & we live in Queens NY. Is this common to Fords? This is our first Ford.

Hello all. My wife & I just bought an 07 SEL+ AWD recently with 44k on the OD. My problem is with the brakes. When you just start driving all is fine until you have applied the brakes a few times, then they sound like they are grinding (also sounds like binding). IN traffic it is unbearable to hear this sound & we live in Queens NY. Is this common to Fords? This is our first Ford.

It's common on all vehicles from time to time. If this only occurs the first 2 or 3 times you use the brakes and then goes away then it's normal. If it starts after the first few times and continues then something is wrong. Have the pads and rotors checked. The pads could be work down and grinding into the rotor. Either way new pads and/or turned rotors should fix it.

It's common on all vehicles from time to time. If this only occurs the first 2 or 3 times you use the brakes and then goes away then it's normal. If it starts after the first few times and continues then something is wrong. Have the pads and rotors checked. The pads could be work down and grinding into the rotor. Either way new pads and/or turned rotors should fix it.

I thought that the pads were worn down also.So I took the wheels off to inspect them & they looked as if they were only changed but a few months ago. Still alot of pad surface left.

I happens only after we have been driving for some time & in traffic.

I thought that the pads were worn down also.So I took the wheels off to inspect them & they looked as if they were only changed but a few months ago. Still alot of pad surface left.

I happens only after we have been driving for some time & in traffic.

Maybe they didn't replace the pads correctly or used the wrong kind. I'd have it checked by a good mechanic just to be safe. They shouldn't be making noise when they're hot.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Miller07: I wanted to see what news you ended up getting from the dealer about the grinding brakes...

Any updates on your grinding brakes. The brakes on my 08 starting making this sort of noise (not quite a grind) also. 40K miles with lots of original pad left. In fact had it in for its

36K check-up and everything looked good. Hate to replace them as I should be able to go another 40K on these brakes.