Release date Eco Boost 2.0L Turbo Edge 2011

gernot

Hi friends,

Does anybody know a accurate release date for the Eco Boost Engine Edge 2011?

I am a current 2007 Edge owner and would like to buy the 2011 Edge with the Eco Boost Engine ASAP.

Thanks,

They just announced the 2.0 EB won't debut until the 2012 model which should be out next spring or summer.

• 1 month later...

They just announced the 2.0 EB won't debut until the 2012 model which should be out next spring or summer.

Hi.

Is this a definite announcement? I'm in the market for a new car and the edge really impresses me but i want to wait until this engine is available. I spoke to a dealer here in Canada and he said Ford have no plan to introduce the ecoboost engine to the edge. Is he talking crap? Thx

Hi.

Is this a definite announcement? I'm in the market for a new car and the edge really impresses me but i want to wait until this engine is available. I spoke to a dealer here in Canada and he said Ford have no plan to introduce the ecoboost engine to the edge. Is he talking crap? Thx

Still haven't seen anything official yet. I expect we'll see and hear something from the Detroit Auto Show next week.

I suspect your dealer is talking about the 3.5L Ecoboost engine not being available in the Edge which is true. The 2.0L EB is definitely coming - Autoblog even had a pre-production test drive they just published. But no word on availability. Here's a link:

2011 Ford Edge ecoboost quick spin

• 3 months later...

Go to Autoblog and see the review (do a search). Its is due 2012 but production begins late July. When it is available who knows (late introduction?). Also AWD will not be available in that configuration. I read somewhere they are going for 30MPG but having problems getting there.

Edited by blankster

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What do you think will be the towing capacity with the ecoboost engine?

A bike carrier. ;)

I think this engine is too small to carry itself let alone towing.

I even had an argument with my Ford sales guy when we discussed the 2.0 EB in the Edge, he told me I must have been misinformed as it was the 3.5 EB, the "2.0 EB is too small for an Edge".

I don't understand why the Taurus and the Flex have the 3.5 EB, but the Edge is getting the 2.0?? I want to save gas as much as the next guy, if not more as I do 3000KM+ a month, but the Edge is a heavy vehicle, so a 2.0L is going to have to work REALLY hard to move it. It has received some OK reviews so far, but I'm wondering what will happen to the little engine after its been used for a while.

My recommendation to anyone looking to get one is to take if for a very long test drive. Perhaps even bring some friends to weigh it down to get a good feel on how it will handle and what the RPM's need to reach to make it move.

A bike carrier. ;)

I even had an argument with my Ford sales guy when we discussed the 2.0 EB in the Edge, he told me I must have been misinformed as it was the 3.5 EB, the "2.0 EB is too small for an Edge".

I don't understand why the Taurus and the Flex have the 3.5 EB, but the Edge is getting the 2.0?? I want to save gas as much as the next guy, if not more as I do 3000KM+ a month, but the Edge is a heavy vehicle, so a 2.0L is going to have to work REALLY hard to move it. It has received some OK reviews so far, but I'm wondering what will happen to the little engine after its been used for a while.

My recommendation to anyone looking to get one is to take if for a very long test drive. Perhaps even bring some friends to weigh it down to get a good feel on how it will handle and what the RPM's need to reach to make it move.

I am not sure where you are getting your comparisons, but compared to the 3.5 V6, the EB is only down 50 horsepower, but 20 more ft/lbs of torque. I do not know what world you live in, but torque is the more important number in a vehicle this size, and 20 more sure sounds good to me (especially considering it will get 30+ MPG)...too small to carry itself? Sounds like the better choice to me when you compare the numbers:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/1011_2011_ford_edge_ecoboost/index.html

http://www.ford.com/crossovers/edge/specifications/engine/

I am not sure where you are getting your comparisons, but compared to the 3.5 V6, the EB is only down 50 horsepower, but 20 more ft/lbs of torque. I do not know what world you live in, but torque is the more important number in a vehicle this size, and 20 more sure sounds good to me (especially considering it will get 30+ MPG)...too small to carry itself? Sounds like the better choice to me when you compare the numbers:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/1011_2011_ford_edge_ecoboost/index.html

http://www.ford.com/crossovers/edge/specifications/engine/

Peak torque is one thing, actual useable torque is quite another. A 2.0L is still a 2.0L until the boost comes in. And once you're in the boost, the efficiency drops like a rock.

Not sure where you get the 20 more ft/lbs of torque either, most estimates are the 2.0L will be 250ft/lbs, the V6 is 253.

Peak torque is one thing, actual useable torque is quite another. A 2.0L is still a 2.0L until the boost comes in. And once you're in the boost, the efficiency drops like a rock.

Not sure where you get the 20 more ft/lbs of torque either, most estimates are the 2.0L will be 250ft/lbs, the V6 is 253.

Read the motor trend article, quoted torque numbers are 280, not 250.

A bike carrier. ;)

I feel that the Edge not getting the 3.5L EcoBoost is a CAFE requirement strategy among other restriaints. They want to reserve CAFE room for more brand building vehicles like SVT Raptor and SVT Mustang etc.

You're definitely right about mentioning WHERE torque comes in.

But the 2.0L turbo should make quite a flat torque curve with more torque (% wise) coming earlier in the rev band. Peak torque is available from about 1700 to 4000 RPM in most of the 2.0L EB engines.

I feel that the Edge not getting the 3.5L EcoBoost is a CAFE requirement strategy among other restriaints. They want to reserve CAFE room for more brand building vehicles like SVT Raptor and SVT Mustang etc.

They had to rebuild the entire front clip of the Flex, MkT and Taurus to handle the torque of the EB3.5. You'd have to do the same with the Edge and MKX and that's not happening until the new platform arrives (if at all).

Man, I have massive dyslexia, I transposed the numbers. I read that thing 3 times and didn't catch that at all! Sorry about that guys!

:P

No worries! I do that with numbers all of the time. I've reviewed the specs, but to be honest, I didn't even compare them. Its just logic that in a vehicle that is close to 4000lbs, 2.0L is a very small engine, even with boost. 30MPG is great, but you know you'll never reach that real world. Towing you'd likely be worse then the 3.5L as you'd be permanently trying to boost, not to mention the 10%+ premium to go from 87 to 91. The 2.0 EB requires a minimum of 91 Octane. I think with even a small trailer, you'd be getting worse MPG then the 3.7L in my Sport, and paying more for every gallon on top of it.

Before I get yelled at again ;) This is just my $.02 (Canadian), not based on anything but the voices in my head.

Boost is awesome, low MPG is awesomer, boosting a small engine in a big car only to loose any potential MPG benefits because your constantly revving up the boost, and still don't have any power...in no way associated with anything awesome.