Ford Edge vs. Cadillac Escalade (Guess who won)

OK, so I was on a straightaway in palo alto yesterday with a friend of mine on the way to breakfast, when a guy in a black 2007 escalade with a girl in the passenger side pulls up and gives me the "look." The light turns green and we floor it. I'm thinking he's got a lot of power, but he's also got a lot of weight. I get an early lead of about a half car length, from that point on we got and gave a few inches through 60 mph. at 80mph I looked back and he was still right there with me about a half car length behind. his passenger door was lined up pretty good with my left rear tire. a few secs later my friend leans over at the speedometer and goes "Wow, 105 thats the fastest I've driven!" I got to about 110 when we started breaking for the next streetlight. We laughed and waved farewell.

I was impressed. The Edge maintained the lead against the Escalade to 110 MPH. At first I was skeptical, but it is what it is.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, drag racing heavy vehicles on a street to speeds upward of 80... Thanks for adding to all the danger of the roads in the bay area. I'll know to stay away from Palo Alto with my MKX.

Grow up!

-Dan

heh, it was in a straight line and there were no vehicles in the area to hit other than each other. Two lane straight away without any crossroads. I'm here to discuss performance/customization issues, not to get lectured on vehicle saftety, otherwords i'd go to Soccermom's website. I'm too old for that.

heh, it was in a straight line and there were no vehicles in the area to hit other than each other. Two lane straight away without any crossroads. I'm here to discuss performance/customization issues, not to get lectured on vehicle saftety, otherwords i'd go to Soccermom's website. I'm too old for that.

And the other guy paid how much for the Escalade? Gotta love the performance that the Edge delivers for the dollar. Similar story to the hot shot in the BMW M-5 that thought he would pick on my little pony. What he did not know was that tucked under the hood of my stock 06 GT Mustang is a Roush Blower. Enough said on that one. Ü And he paid what for that Beamer?

My Edge is my daily driver and I just love it. Rock solid and very good on gas. And yes, surprisingly quick. It goes without saying that responsibility must come with performance.

• 3 weeks later...
OK, so I was on a straightaway in palo alto yesterday with a friend of mine on the way to breakfast, when a guy in a black 2007 escalade with a girl in the passenger side pulls up and gives me the "look." The light turns green and we floor it. I'm thinking he's got a lot of power, but he's also got a lot of weight. I get an early lead of about a half car length, from that point on we got and gave a few inches through 60 mph. at 80mph I looked back and he was still right there with me about a half car length behind. his passenger door was lined up pretty good with my left rear tire. a few secs later my friend leans over at the speedometer and goes "Wow, 105 thats the fastest I've driven!" I got to about 110 when we started breaking for the next streetlight. We laughed and waved farewell.

I was impressed. The Edge maintained the lead against the Escalade to 110 MPH. At first I was skeptical, but it is what it is.

YOU ARE A FRIGGEN IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Copperhead,

Just bought an edge for my wife. Nice car! Good price! Easy and pleasurable to drive. Great tranny. Smooth shifts and geared properly! She's happy! :happy feet:

Have a Yukon Denali myself... which is the same thing as the Escalade under the sheet medal and chrome. I agree that the Edge has some spunk, especially on the highway. But... I'm finding your story very hard to believe. Been driving them both this past week. All I've done to mine is add a cold air intake and reprogrammed the on-board computer using a flashpaq. The flashpaq also has data logging for 0-30, 0-60, 1/4 mile, etc. My average 0-60 time of 5 runs was 5.5 seconds with traction control turned off and tranny in D. The manual automatic is a POS for acceleration. Too much delay! IMO, its only usefull for towing. MSN.com lists the edge 0-60 times @ 7.47 secs for comparison. Now... I'm not calling you a liar... anything is possible. I just think you got lucky! Maybe the Escalade had a driver that didn't know how to drive it and tried to manually shift and over reved? I dunno! Just take my advice... leave your title at home! :shades:

FYI, the Denali/Escalade have an approx. 368ci sb with 380/400 hp and 417/417 lb-ft respectively in stock form. IIRC, they started with a 97 Corvette block and used the same heads as the newer vettes. Stock Mustangs beware! BTDT!

Edge weighs in at 4086 lbs. with 265 hp. Or 15.42 lbs/hp. (better than I expected)

Escalade(AWD) weighs in at 5665 lbs. with 400 hp. That 14.1625 lbs/hp.

Escalade(2WD) is 5459 lbs. Thats 13.65 lbs/hp... once the tires stop spinning!

Capice?

BTW, what speed are your tires rated to? Bet you don't know without looking!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

vulcan,

Name calling? Thats it? At least add something thoughtful if you're going to post!

Damn trolls!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Street racing is bad, I agree, but I'm no saint! Right time... right place... for everything. Risking your own life is up to you. Just don't endanger other people's lives!

reh

... and this'll be all of 'em :happy feet: and it's just a little 6-Fiddy.

wsninja650.jpg

but that wouldn't be a fair race, and I actually wouldn't even think about racing an Edge, Denali, Escalade or most 4 wheeled cages. Actually, I don't race on the street, but I will take off like a mad man sometimes.

Bryce

• 2 weeks later...

I found myself cruising at 90 on the way back from Destin, Florida last week. I remember reading a post somewhere here about how easy it is to do 80 and not realize it until you see the blue lights in your mirror.

I love my radar...lol.

It is nice to know that there is enough "get-up-and-go" when needed. You never know when a

train or an 18-wheeler or a 747 or an Escalade is bearing down and you and you have to move

quickly to get out of the way.

I agree with rehtaf. Time and a place. (By the way, mine are V - Hankook Ventus ST 274/45/20 - and I didn't have to look)

• 3 weeks later...

While driving over a mountain pass and being annoyed by an overly aggressive, tailgating Escalade driver, I remembered this post.

We came upon a nice uphill climb that had a passing lane. When I pulled in the other lane he rammed the gas and I did the same. The outcome, The Edge ate his lunch. Maybe it was the hill and his weight became an issue, but I do not consider the Edge on the lite side . Either way, I won't make excuses for him. Funny how his hot shot driving went away after that.

I am not saying the Edge is some sort of speedster, but it CAN handle an STOCK Escalade.

Mine is a FWD SEL Plus and it got 27 MPG on this 450 mile round trip. Nice performance and nice MPG, and a great work vehicle for business trips.

Other vehicles in our stable

63 F-250 4 X 4 restored (For nice days)

97 XLT F-250 (for my son)

06 Fusion SEL (wife, she loves it)

06 Mustang GT RoushCharged with some extra's (For dad's fun)

• 2 weeks later...

GAH! OK! Watch videos. Pause and look at timer. Links to Timeslips. No explanation needed...I hope.

Stock

07 Escalade timeslip

07 Denali timeslip

Edge acceleration(looks like 20-60 in about 6 secs...20-100 in 16s. Agree?)

Edge timeslip 1

AWD SEL PLUS timeslip

MKX timeslip

Nonstock

04 denali magna charged

Off topic and NOT recommended!!!

edge 0-130?

Blue smoke towing power. Mine had power...when and if it would start. Done with 'em. Weight doesn't matter with enough room under the hood and places to hide a big bottle or two. Beware! Trucks may look stock...but rarely are. Ive lost to more trucks than cars at the strip and paid $ to learn it. :yup:

740 HP...10.41 1/4 mile! OUCH! Pony didn't expect that I bet. As you saw, diesel ft-lbs are king off the line. Have to catch up to them. Never do less than 1/4m against the D's! Black smoke is a warning Don't mess.

Trick me once... shame on you! Trick me twice... shame on me!!

:stirpot:

Edited by rehtaf

• 2 weeks later...
GAH! OK! Watch videos. Pause and look at timer. Links to Timeslips. No explanation needed...I hope.

Stock

07 Escalade timeslip

07 Denali timeslip

Edge acceleration(looks like 20-60 in about 6 secs...20-100 in 16s. Agree?)

Edge timeslip 1

AWD SEL PLUS timeslip

MKX timeslip

Nonstock

04 denali magna charged

Off topic and NOT recommended!!!

edge 0-130?

Blue smoke towing power. Mine had power...when and if it would start. Done with 'em. Weight doesn't matter with enough room under the hood and places to hide a big bottle or two. Beware! Trucks may look stock...but rarely are. Ive lost to more trucks than cars at the strip and paid $ to learn it. :yup:

740 HP...10.41 1/4 mile! OUCH! Pony didn't expect that I bet. As you saw, diesel ft-lbs are king off the line. Have to catch up to them. Never do less than 1/4m against the D's! Black smoke is a warning Don't mess.

Trick me once... shame on you! Trick me twice... shame on me!!

:stirpot:

How does it go, Figures lie and liars figure. Real life experience shows the Escalade to not be all that fast. Certainly not what is being claimed by the posted drag slip. Refer to Edmonds test of a 2007 Escalade for a trusted source and accurate results.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...28/pageId=94774

Highlights, (or low lights depending on perspective)

1- Price as tested, $66,000. more than double and Edge.

2- Recommended fuel, premium

3- Observed MPG 12.5 MPG. Ouch, (and on premium no less.)

4- 0-60 7.5 Seconds

5 1/4 mile 15.8 at 87.9 MPH

Lets sum it up, you can buy a fully loaded Edge for less than half the Escalade, You burn regular gas in the Edge as opposed to premium in the Escalade and get close to twice the MPG in the Edge Vs. the Escalade, AND the actual performance is nearly identical. Based on personal experience I give the nod to the Edge in the performance department. In reality it is a comparison of apples and oranges, do you want an overpriced gas hog (12.5 MPG) SUV for status, or the latest in crossover technology. Our need for our family calls for something along the lines of the Edge. On our family vacation we drove the Edge 2700 miles and averaged 28 MPG for the trip. Not too bad and 7 MPG better than the Explorer we replaced.

But this is America and we are free to make the choice we want. If an Escalade fits someones needs better than another type vehicle, great, at least it is an american car.

While driving over a mountain pass and being annoyed by an overly aggressive, tailgating Escalade driver, I remembered this post.

We came upon a nice uphill climb that had a passing lane. When I pulled in the other lane he rammed the gas and I did the same. The outcome, The Edge ate his lunch. Maybe it was the hill and his weight became an issue, but I do not consider the Edge on the lite side . Either way, I won't make excuses for him. Funny how his hot shot driving went away after that.

I am not saying the Edge is some sort of speedster, but it CAN handle an STOCK Escalade.

Mine is a FWD SEL Plus and it got 27 MPG on this 450 mile round trip. Nice performance and nice MPG, and a great work vehicle for business trips.

Other vehicles in our stable

63 F-250 4 X 4 restored (For nice days)

97 XLT F-250 (for my son)

06 Fusion SEL (wife, she loves it)

06 Mustang GT RoushCharged with some extra's (For dad's fun)

Wow...so what you are saying is that this guy was trying to get around you because he wanted to drive faster then you. He waited for a passing lane to make a nice legal pass. THEN you decided to be a complete jackhole and block him. Well done. Wanker.

These vehicles are not in the same class. Strap a 6000lbs boat to the back of each and see what blows up, the Truck or the Car. They are made to totally different levels of luxery also. Sure one costs more, it should.

Edited by amr40509

Wow...so what you are saying is that this guy was trying to get around you because he wanted to drive faster then you. He waited for a passing lane to make a nice legal pass. THEN you decided to be a complete jackhole and block him. Well done. Wanker.

These vehicles are not in the same class. Strap a 6000lbs boat to the back of each and see what blows up, the Truck or the Car. They are made to totally different levels of luxery also. Sure one costs more, it should.

Do you always go through life making assumptions? And then assuming that your assumptions are correct begin name calling? "Jackhole", "Wanker", nice.. You sound like a REALLY nice guy.

I NEVER said the Escalade was trying to get around me at the time. (wrong assumption#1) He had been tailgating me and others for some time.

For the record, I had let the Escalade pass. Then he decided to play games and he slowed, and then speed up, and so on, at the bottom of a hill he slowed again. In a passing lane, I pulled out, just like I wrote the first time and HE hit the gas trying to keep me from making the pass. (wrong assumption #2, he was trying to block me) I was tired of his games and made the pass anyway, without too much trouble. THAT was the point, and not all the details leading up to it.

Nobody here has represented the Edge as a truck capable of pulling 6000 pounds, or even a hot rod for that matter, but some seem to think the Escalade has superior performance, in my experience, it does not. You are correct about one thing, it is in another class as far as luxury, (at least one of us can spell the word) worth twice what an Edge costs, that is open for debate.

Do you always go through life making assumptions? And then assuming that your assumptions are correct begin name calling? "Jackhole", "Wanker", nice.. You sound like a REALLY nice guy.

I NEVER said the Escalade was trying to get around me at the time. (wrong assumption#1) He had been tailgating me and others for some time.

For the record, I had let the Escalade pass. Then he decided to play games and he slowed, and then speed up, and so on, at the bottom of a hill he slowed again. In a passing lane, I pulled out, just like I wrote the first time and HE hit the gas trying to keep me from making the pass. (wrong assumption #2, he was trying to block me) I was tired of his games and made the pass anyway, without too much trouble. THAT was the point, and not all the details leading up to it.

Nobody here has represented the Edge as a truck capable of pulling 6000 pounds, or even a hot rod for that matter, but some seem to think the Escalade has superior performance, in my experience, it does not. You are correct about one thing, it is in another class as far as luxury, (at least one of us can spell the word) worth twice what an Edge costs, that is open for debate.

Your original post never said that he passed you or that you were behind him and he was trying to keep you from passing. You said he was tailgating you and then you pulled out to the other lane and you both floored it. Sure sounded like he wanted to pass but you didn't want to let him.

How does it go, Figures lie and liars figure. Real life experience shows the Escalade to not be all that fast.

Name calling? LMAO! I own Denali and an Edge but dont know jack. Believe what you want, but in my REAL LIFE, on 1/8m drag strip this past week, the guy in the mustang gave me $100. Didn't have to cheat. REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE!

You read a review on the net. :hysterical:

FYI, I need the power to pull a 21' offshore boat.

If someone tailgates me, I just slam the brakes on (yes, the f*ckin' brakes that a lot of sheep are complaining about)......

LMAO! Had a young cocky kid do that to me. I was in the F150 which has a solid steel bull bar built by me. Gusseted and welded to frame. It doesn't bend or give like the 2 POS premade city boy bars that are for looks only. Took me and 3 others to pick it up to install. 800 lbs or so. Tires 37" are about 250 lbs each. A witch and a full tool chest. I make my own trail in the woods now. More fun than a chain saw.

Anyway, I guess the guy thought I would slam on the breaks. Well...I gave her a lil more gas. The rear of that suv looked like a crushed soda can. Was hilarious! Only felt like a speed bump. Some of his white paint got on my black bar...Grrr! He had to get towed, replace all the glass and panels from rear doors back and a ticket for C&R driving. I drove home, rubbed his paint off and had a beer.

So, the lesson to learn here is...don't do that to crazy arse rednecks that don't give a f**k...like me. I'll drive over you, threw you and been know to give ppl a little push if driving too slow...but wont stop...EVER...for cocky city drivers. 8-9k lbs + newton's 1st law= me feeling a lil bump and pushing most cars/trucks at will in 2WD. BTW, if I was in a small Honda...I WILL STILL HIT YOU AND LAUGH. Then let you pay to fix it!

You have been warned!

My dad can beat up your dad.

Touché

""Anyway, I guess the guy thought I would slam on the breaks. Well...I gave her a lil more gas. The rear of that suv looked like a crushed soda can. Was hilarious! Only felt like a speed bump. Some of his white paint got on my black bar...Grrr! He had to get towed, replace all the glass and panels from rear doors back and a ticket for C&R driving. I drove home, rubbed his paint off and had a beer.

So, the lesson to learn here is...don't do that to crazy arse rednecks that don't give a f**k...like me. I'll drive over you, threw you and been know to give ppl a little push if driving too slow...but wont stop...EVER...for cocky city drivers. 8-9k lbs + newton's 1st law= me feeling a lil bump and pushing most cars/trucks at will in 2WD. BTW, if I was in a small Honda...I WILL STILL HIT YOU AND LAUGH. Then let you pay to fix it!

You have been warned!""

Ahh, but in Maryland, if you hit someone from behind, it is YOUR fault...no ifs, ands or buts...YOU would be ticketed for following too close...but, I do asses the situation first before I take action....if someone like you were behind me, I wouldn't do a brake job...I would take other action...but, most of the sheep that tailgate are driving high dollar cars, and really wouldn't want anything to happen to their little precious toys....to me, a car is a piece of sheet metal....it ain't no love doll....

Edited by 7

Ahh, but in Maryland, if you hit someone from behind, it is YOUR fault...no ifs, ands or buts...YOU would be ticketed for following too close...but, I do asses the situation first before I take action....if someone like you were behind me, I wouldn't do a brake job...I would take other action...but, most of the sheep that tailgate are driving high dollar cars, and really wouldn't want anything to happen to their little precious toys....to me, a car is a piece of sheet metal....it ain't no love doll....

Most placed are like that. The person behind almost always is to blame.

But, reading his post makes me think of something more than a rear-ender...

I sure hope you don't kill someone while you "drive over, drive threw (through)" someone.

I'm not sure they give a lot of internet time in prison.