Front Wheel Dive Edge and Snow/Ice

ewmiller

I just wanted to share my impressions of my new 2011 Edge (FWD) in the snow and ice. I live in Buffalo and we got our first snow fall of the year, about 6 inches. The roads in the neighborhood weren't plowed, and had a 2-3 inches of snow and ice mix. Like my wife's 2010 Escape (FWD), the Edge plowed through the conditions with ease. Further confirming that All Wheel Drive is basically an option that's overpriced and rarely, if ever, needed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to share my impressions of my new 2011 Edge (FWD) in the snow and ice. I live in Buffalo and we got our first snow fall of the year, about 6 inches. The roads in the neighborhood weren't plowed, and had a 2-3 inches of snow and ice mix. Like my wife's 2010 Escape (FWD), the Edge plowed through the conditions with ease. Further confirming that All Wheel Drive is basically an option that's overpriced and rarely, if ever, needed.

That's odd. I live in Louisville, KY and we get some snow but not like Buffalo. In 2-3 inches, my 2008 FWD Edge won't go anywhere. 2nd worst snow vehicle i've owned. I blame the tires that appear to have a poor snow tread on them. Considering Mich LTX MS2 235/70-17s if they will fit. Mich does not make them in 235/65-17s.

Sorry to hear about that, it has to be the tires. I'm sure you've heard on the news last week, we had our thruway shut down and I persoanlly got 4' of snow. I couldn't be happier with the way the FWD Edge handled it all. Kudos to Ford again.

Ā 

That's odd. I live in Louisville, KY and we get some snow but not like Buffalo. In 2-3 inches, my 2008 FWD Edge won't go anywhere. 2nd worst snow vehicle i've owned. I blame the tires that appear to have a poor snow tread on them. Considering Mich LTX MS2 235/70-17s if they will fit. Mich does not make them in 235/65-17s.

Edited by ewmiller

Sorry to hear about that, it has to be the tires. I'm sure you've heard on the news last week, we had our thruway shut down and I persoanlly got 4' of snow. I couldn't be happier with the way the FWD Edge handled it all. Kudos to Ford again.

Ā 

Yo EW! Can you post some pictures of that shit! We got a whole 3" in St. Louie! I want to see what REAL snow looks like!

So glad I found this post... I am looking to buy a new Edge SEL and have been torn between AWD and FWD. The AWD is just out of my price range but the FWD could work I just haven't been to sure how it will be in the snow and Ice. I live in NY on Long island and although not to often we have gotten hit with snow falls of 12 plus inch. Wife's pregnant and I just want to make sure what ever I get can make out of the driveway in snow. Id love to hear more good thoughts on the FWD and snow Performence.

Ā 

Thanks!!

• 1 year later...

I'm new to this forum but if I'm perceiving the info properly, it looks like you all are driving 6 cyl. FWDs. That said, what's your best gas mileage? I presently drive an 02 Jeep Liberty which I dearly love. The max. hwy efficiency however is about 21 mpg. I just need better mpgs. So, although I'd dearly miss my 4x4 Libby, I'm looking at the edge. I gota say though that the AWDs are a bit high and their mpgs aren't too much better.

Ā 

If I moved over to FWD things would be better. And if I went with the new turbo charged 4 cyl. I'd immagine the hwy mpg should be even better. Have you heard anything about the 4 cyl FWD Hwy mpgs? I'd appreciate any comments.

• 1 year later...

I would also say it is the tires. When I bought my 2009 Edge I was living in Montana where snow is possible on ANY day of the year (and happened to me several times in my 10 years there) The car only had 21,000 miles on it and it drove great but I knew that the car had actually come from California and that factory tires are something that you want to replace around 30,000 miles. The car drove great all summer long but if it rained and I happened to go through a puddle it did not seem to handle all that great which caused me concern with the ever promised huge amounts of snow fall that we get every winter. In November of that year I had a good set of Michelins put on and could not have been any more happier with how my car handled. Never once did I get stuck and it just moved right through the snow with the greatest of ease. A good set of quality tires WILL make all the difference in the world. Hope that helps.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just bought a 2013 SEL FWD...I'd owned an AWD Mariner before and it handled great in the snow. I was a little nervous about buying a FWD SUV, but I did it anyway considering that we rarely get serious snow here in MD and when we do, the FWD cars I've owned before always handed fine in it, so I'm eager to see how the Edge does. Brand new tires should help. We're expecting 3 inches here tonight so I may report back on this tomorrow.

Mine did fine in the one storm we had last year. Drove on 95 from Laurel to BWI when I couldn't see the road (should have left a little later) and it did fine.

Ā 

Same rules as all cars: Drive with an egg between your foot and the pedals. Plan your stops and turns.

• 1 month later...

Your crazy. We have a 2011 edge limited FWD. this thing is the WORST in the snow.

Car has 15,000 mi. With Pirelli 20" tires. It won't move if it thinks it's going to snow!

I think it's the combo of a heavy rear end big tires and the traction crontrol.

Yes, the traction control. Which I have yet to find a way to turn off. Can't spin your way down to the pavement because the traction control won't let you.

Don't make our mistake! Buy the AWD!

Edited by Drharrison

It's the tires. They're not winter compound and they're too wide for snow. And you most certainly can turn off traction control. Assuming you have a 2011 and not a 2001, this is what the owners manual says:

Ā 

The AdvanceTrac with RSC
system includes a traction control
off selection located in the message
center,

Mine has handled fine in the snow.

Ā 

I love the look of the Limited & Sport wheels but all things I've read have pointed to a rougher ride, lower MPG and poor handling in the snow.

Ā 

My FWD SEL has handled well so far. I may have to buy some snow cables in the future but while the tires are brand new they handle just fine in the snow.

Ā 

And I can turn off traction control in about 5 seconds on my Edge.

Edited by Mirage52