2011 Edge-replacement key safety

2011 Edge-dealer lost key and I only received one upon delivery. The second key was made by dealer a few days later. My worry is that a third key (the lost key) may be found and become a threat for unwanted access. Does anyone have any knowledge on security features to prevent this with this type of system?

Assuming the dealer reprogrammed the keys when he added the new one then the old one won't work. If you're not sure that's what happened you can take both keys to the dealer and they can reprogram the vehicle for only those 2 keys. Eack key has a unique code that has to be recognized by the vehicle.

2011 Edge-dealer lost key and I only received one upon delivery. The second key was made by dealer a few days later. My worry is that a third key (the lost key) may be found and become a threat for unwanted access. Does anyone have any knowledge on security features to prevent this with this type of system?

Hi inspector. :D As akirby stated, once the Dealer reprogrammed your existing and new Dealer key, the lost key was no longer programmed correctly for remote entry or to start your vehicle. Any key that was not programmed together with the first two will no longer be recognized by the PATS system.(to explain it in a simple manner).

On the other hand (and be sure to read all the way through), it is still cut properly so it "could" be used to gain access to your vehicle using the drivers door or trunk keyholes. However, I would not worry about this, since if the key is ever found, how will a random person who found it locate your vehicle? I would not worry about Dealership Employees, since if they wanted to make a key to your vehicle, they could always access the system and do so anyway.

Bottom line? The lost key can no longer be used to gain remote entry or start the vehicle. So lost or not, it would make little sense to have the drivers door and trunk locks "re-keyed" simply for a lost key with no identification on it (in my opinion, of course),

I would recommend you not worry and just enjoy your vehicle.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530