Remote Start - Turn Off "Shut Down On Door Open" Feature

well, i've been looking under the dash on my expedition and i can't find it.

i called a tech at the ford dealership, he said if the vehicle is equipped with sync, that it has a different module that goes through the CAN system or something like that, and it does not have a programming button

do any of you that have been successful have sync?

Our Expedition has Sync with the one button remote start and the programming button with LED was under the dash to the left.

Guys I have a question. My remote starter was working fine until recently. When I try to remote start my car it seems like it is working but it does not start. It gives me two honks. From the manual poster earlier it seems to be the hood sensor or the brake sensor but the manual does not state how to test it or fix it. I inspected the hood sensor and it was tilted, at about 45 degrees from the hood surface. I am not sure if this is how it is supposed to be installed. Any ideas? could anyone post pictures of how your sensor is setup?

Edited by aarrodri

Guys I have a question. My remote starter was working fine until recently. When I try to remote start my car it seems like it is working but it does not start. It gives me two honks. From the manual poster earlier it seems to be the hood sensor or the brake sensor but the manual does not state how to test it or fix it. I inspected the hood sensor and it was tilted, at about 45 degrees from the hood surface. I am not sure if this is how it is supposed to be installed. Any ideas? could anyone post pictures of how your sensor is setup?

This thread might help you...

Ford Fusion Forum Remote Start Help

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys, a friend of mine sent me this link after i told him how frustrated i was with my remote start and how ford can do nothing about it. I have a 2011 escape does anyone know where i can find the program reset button on that?? thanks for the help Adriano Email me

I would think its in the same location - under drivers dash - above brake pedal area - you'll see my pic on the first post.

Cool, glad I didn't have to mess with this on either of my Edge's. Remote start works as I expected. Start the car, get in, push start button and go. Stays running the whole time. Though sometimes I forget to push the start button and when you grab the shifter to go the car shuts down, good safety feature though...

• 1 month later...

I've got a 2012 Escape and this problem is killing me. Extra cold starts are NOT good.

I have the remote start straight from the factory...I can't seem to find the button in order to try this. Does anyone have any ideas how to do this on a 2012 Escape. Please note the 2012 Escape is the last year for its style. I suspect it would function similar to a 2010 edge.

Hey all - I've got a 2010 Edge Limited with an OEM 1 Button remote starter. I've found the instructions to turn off the annoying "remote start engine off when doors opened" feature.

I've tested and it works perfect. However through my research I've learned that it'll disable your Ford "MYKey" feature. I don't use it so it's moot to me! I'm not sure of any other repercussions - time will tell.

I've atttached instructions. They are a little confusing if you're not familiar with programming remote starters. I'm not very experienced myself but I was able to muddle through it. I'll try to help as much as I can. I did mess up on my first attempt and my remote starter stopped working - but was eaisily fixed.

The attached "Feature Programing" pdf file is all you need.

Page 1 outlines instructions on how to get into programing and navigating through options

Page 2 outlines programming options - in this case you are concerned with "Option Bank 2 Step 7" for MY KEY vehicles which is what mine is.

Page 3 outlines programming options for non MY KEY vehicles

If your vehicle is a non "MY KEY" vehicle I believe your remote starter should already be working as normal and this write up wouldn't really apply to you.

If your remote starter stops working - you'll need the 2nd pdf file "Program Remote Start"

Whatever you do DO NOT PRESS AND HOLD the start button to execute a command during programming. Just press the button once quickly. If you hold the start button you'll know because the car will chirp 4x's - it'll reprogram your settings back to stock and you'll have to re-program your remote starter. That's what I did wrong and you'll need the 2nd attached pdf to reprogram the remote starter (RMST). Also I did the programming with my door closed. This will all make sense once your read the instructions,... a few times.

To answer the 1st potential question - the "programming/overide button" should be located under the drivers dash if it was installed correctly. I've circled mine in the picture

post-8536-052297900 1291819480_thumb.jpg

I hope this is valuble info for some as I absolutely loathe this feature.

End result - your car starter will work as many have become accustomed.

1 Hit remote start

2 Car starts

3 Unlock and Open door (engine does not shut down) get into car and do not hit brake pedal(engine will stop)

4 Insert Key and Turn to on position without cranking

5 Press brake, put 'er to drive and go!

If the brake pedal is depressed without the key in ignition - engine will shut down(safety).

Cheers!

Although I tried this and it worked for me - please do so at your own risk!!! I am not an expert - just a "googler"

• 1 month later...

I want to thank the Op for posting the instructions and WydOpen for posting the pic. I successfully programmed my 2011 Expedition yesterday. I also wanted to say that without WydOpen's picture, I couldn't have done it.

My remote start was installed at the factory, and the button/LED combo were completely hidden from view basically behind where the hood-release button is in the Expedition. I had to find the remote start box in the car (basically installed behind the e-brake release lever), follow the wires, and then barely get one finger on the button. After that, I had to cut a zip-tie to make the button more accessible, pull down the wire a few inches, tape it temporarily to access it while I was sitting upright, and then program it. And then after the fact zip-tied it back to where it was originally. It took me far longer just to find/ reposition/put it back than it did to actually program it.

BlueWolverine, I am not familiar with your car. But if the remote start was installed like mine, I would try searching for the remote-start box. In my truck, it was a black box with a white sticker that said "REMOTE START SYSTEM" about 6"x4"x2", installed relatively close to the e-brake release lever. If you follow the wires coming out of that, you should be able to find the little black button and LED. My button and LED were not visible at first regardless of whether I used a mirror or just stuck my head down by the brake pedal.

• 3 months later...

I FOUND IT!!!!!!! The button was very hard to see (glasses and big guy, i couldn't get in there, but I was able to feel it out!.

Right above the brake pedal, there is the plastic trim (with cutouts for the e-brake and the hood release). The remote start button was taped/lashed/zip tied to the back side of this trim plate in line with the brake pedal. you feel around and its the only button, plus it feel very shoddily attached so that was the clue.

Also, the procedure I quoted originally works perfect once you find it, with one exception. I don't know what LED the procedure is refering to, but its not the LED on the remote start keyfob. Once you get to option 7 just push the keyfob once and turn the car off.

My biggest complaint with my car is resolved.

I've got a 2012 Escape and this problem is killing me. Extra cold starts are NOT good.

I have the remote start straight from the factory...I can't seem to find the button in order to try this. Does anyone have any ideas how to do this on a 2012 Escape. Please note the 2012 Escape is the last year for its style. I suspect it would function similar to a 2010 edge.

Edited by BlueWolverine

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Everyone needs to also realize that the exact location of the harness/module may differ a bit vehicle to vehicle. Even though the RMST is a "plug & play" it's still up to the installer to decide on actual placement. Just a heads up.

PDJ

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi everyone, I wished I've found this article before, so I was trying to actívate The remote start without engine shut down when opening The door, but at The last step when the vehicle honks 7 times and then you press the remote start key, I pressed the button for about 2 sec and then I heard 3 honks and then tried to remote start my vehicle which to my surprise was desactivated, (It honks 3 times and wont start) Can someone please help me out to reprogram my remote start key again??? Thanks a lot By The way its a 2010 Lincoln navigator

Hi everyone, I wished I've found this article before, so I was trying to actívate The remote start without engine shut down when opening The door, but at The last step when the vehicle honks 7 times and then you press the remote start key, I pressed the button for about 2 sec and then I heard 3 honks and then tried to remote start my vehicle which to my surprise was desactivated, (It honks 3 times and wont start) Can someone please help me out to reprogram my remote start key again??? Thanks a lot By The way its a 2010 Lincoln navigator

• 3 weeks later...