2011 Edge/MKX My Touch and Sync Problems

akirby

^ That's exactly why I am not even bothering to contact my dealership about the TSB until sometime in the New Year. I have no care to have my Edge at the dealership for a few days while they try to figure everything out. I'll let them get more acquainted with the update before I bring it in to them.

I'm sitting tight too. I need my car during the holidays.

• Like 1

FINALLY! An actual update! My dealer actually called me today and told me that my vehicle was READY! I went to pick it up - they told me they updated the software and the delay was Ford being able to provide the update to them...anyway, MFT/Sync has been updated, and my initial observations are positive.

Ā 

My Iphone 4 synced right up without a problem, voice calls were made and received. -- I have not tested Pandora.

Ā 

Climate Controls are fully operational.

Ā 

Ambient light is off by one color.

Ā 

Radio controls are fully operational.

Ā 

Backup camera fully operational.

Ā 

White nightlight screen is no more.

Ā 

MFT/Sync seems much more responsive from when I dropped it of 17 days ago.

Ā 

I will provide further updates as I continue to test.

Ā 

Hang tight folks, it's getting better.

Ā 

Did I mention how much I missed My Edge...the Fusion was nice, but The Edge is clearly a cut above.

Ā 

Brian

Ā 

Good stuff, that's positive news Brian!! You've certainly been a trooper while your Edge has been in the shop for almost 3 weeks, kudos to you! :)

Good stuff, that's positive news Brian!! You've certainly been a trooper while your Edge has been in the shop for almost 3 weeks, kudos to you! :)

Ā 

Not sure if everyone with the original software had this issue, but I have a 2011 Edge LTD with the Myford Touch system. If your on the 4 quad display, and you touch right below the heated driver or passenger seat, it shows my A/C seats are on (the edge doesn't come with A/C seats) It's a software bug, but no one else seems to have reported it, just wondering if after the update the same thing happens. I can reproduce it on demand (sometimes takes a few tries) but kinda neat makes me think I got the MKX :)

Ā 

I have been lucky and only had a couple of reboots and the white screen issues, but in general everything has been working since the 2nd week of nov.

Ā 

M.

Ā 

I knew things would workout...I will keep everyone posted. --- Now what to get for Christmas! LOL

Ā 

2011 Edge MFT/SYNC issues report: Day #1

Ā 

Ambient Colors off by one...

Ā 

Everything else: FULLY OPERATIONAL

Ā 

Brian

I knew things would workout...I will keep everyone posted. --- Now what to get for Christmas! LOL

Ā 

2011 Edge MFT/SYNC issues report: Day #1

Ā 

Ambient Colors off by one...

Ā 

Everything else: FULLY OPERATIONAL

Ā 

Brian

Ā 

Brian your remote start works as before? One click of "lock" plus 2 clicks of "remote start button"? After the update I need to click the lock door button twice making the horn beep. Plus the ambient is off by the 2 colors. Additionally my radio power gets turned off at times when starting the car. Nothing I can't live with however BUT you think they would get it right. Hopefully anyway

Ā 

Still loving my ride

Happy Holidays everyone

I'm sitting tight too. I need my car during the holidays.

Ā 

I'm sitting tight until my first scheduled service visit late in January unless the system totally flakes on me. I can pull the fuse again as needed and I've learned some patience - don't touch the controls on the Touch screen for several minutes after startup and even then, one touch, then wait for response before proceeding when it is slow. :-)

Ā 

-steve

^ That's exactly why I am not even bothering to contact my dealership about the TSB until sometime in the New Year. I have no care to have my Edge at the dealership for a few days while they try to figure everything out. I'll let them get more acquainted with the update before I bring it in to them.

Ā 

I was at the dealer's body shop today (Dallas area) to have a 2011 Edge tire and a wheel replaced, which were damaged when I ran over roadway debris. ($800 for the only-available-from-Ford 20" chrome-clad wheel - grrr!!! At least the damage was covered by insuranceā€¦)

Ā 

Anyway, while I was cooling my heels, I asked the service manager if they'd had any issues with the newest Sync update. He said they'd been working on one for two days trying to get a good download from Ford. He said they finally figured out last night that they had to do an update to their Internet Explorer 8 browser, and also get the download on a wired connection. Otherwise, the downloaded file gets corrupted.

Ā 

Needless to say I, too, am going to wait until they get a few successful installs under their belt before I schedule my upgrade.

I was at the dealer's body shop today (Dallas area) to have a 2011 Edge tire and a wheel replaced, which were damaged when I ran over roadway debris. ($800 for the only-available-from-Ford 20" chrome-clad wheel - grrr!!! At least the damage was covered by insuranceā€¦)

Ā 

Anyway, while I was cooling my heels, I asked the service manager if they'd had any issues with the newest Sync update. He said they'd been working on one for two days trying to get a good download from Ford. He said they finally figured out last night that they had to do an update to their Internet Explorer 8 browser, and also get the download on a wired connection. Otherwise, the downloaded file gets corrupted.

Ā 

Needless to say I, too, am going to wait until they get a few successful installs under their belt before I schedule my upgrade.

Ā 

Seems to be a common problem with the Dallas dealers. Mine finally was able to complete the upgrade on one of there new cars after no success for several days and messing up several ( including mine). They have practiced on 2 and the process seems to be going better, according to the dealer. Will take mine in early next week. Mine is hosed so I don't see that I have anything to lose.

Brian your remote start works as before? One click of "lock" plus 2 clicks of "remote start button"? After the update I need to click the lock door button twice making the horn beep. Plus the ambient is off by the 2 colors. Additionally my radio power gets turned off at times when starting the car. Nothing I can't live with however BUT you think they would get it right. Hopefully anyway

Ā 

Still loving my ride

Happy Holidays everyone

Ā 

I do not have Remote Start :( I have an SEL with RS202A) No Remote Start...

Ā 

I can tell you that I have not had an issue with the radio powering off like you state...I will continue to monitor...going out to the garage to conduct some iPhone 4 / Sync testing!

Ā 

Will keep all posted!

Ā 

I can tell you that I have not had an issue with the radio powering off like you state...I will continue to monitor...going out to the garage to conduct some iPhone 4 / Sync testing!

Ā 

Will keep all posted!

Ā 

I have the SEL 201a package and I had the remote start installed at the dealership. They give you an extra set of Keys with the remote start button in the bottom right corner of the key. The blower doesn't blow at full speed to defrost the windows, so it is not great, but it is better than nothing.

Ā 

I think it cost me approx 300, but I rolled it into my purchase price...

Ā 

I am wondering if it will still work after this new firmware update...

Not sure if everyone with the original software had this issue, but I have a 2011 Edge LTD with the Myford Touch system. If your on the 4 quad display, and you touch right below the heated driver or passenger seat, it shows my A/C seats are on (the edge doesn't come with A/C seats) It's a software bug, but no one else seems to have reported it, just wondering if after the update the same thing happens. I can reproduce it on demand (sometimes takes a few tries) but kinda neat makes me think I got the MKX :)

Ā 

I have been lucky and only had a couple of reboots and the white screen issues, but in general everything has been working since the 2nd week of nov.

Ā 

M.

Ā 

I haven't had my sync upgraded. Still the same version that was installed in August. I tried your little trick yesterday and was able to make it show my A/C seats were on. Just like you I have an Edge so it doesn't really have A/C seats. Weird!

My 2011 Edge Limited is at the dealer going on the second day. They were able to update, however, Nav, Heated seats, rear camera are not functional. At this point, I have no confidence that they will be able to get everything working. I really wish that I had known about Sync's problems before I purchased the Edge...I would have passed.

Ā 

Ā 

Will keep all posted!

Ā 

Day #2

Ā 

ISSUES TO REPORT: NONE

HAPPINESS FACTOR: EXTREMELY

IPHONE4 - Contacts sync, calls work as advertised, and Pandora....ohhhhh Pandora....wow, it works EXCELLENT! No more popping sounds post upgrade!!

Ā 

Further updates to come as needed...For all of you who are is discouraged as I was....hang in there! Once your dealer is actually able to download the needed update from Ford and MFT gets updated you will be fine!!!

• Like 1

curlysir

Same here for me. Waiting on a return call from the service manager to see if they have been able to get a successful upgrade completed. I have the black screen of death like several other people. Currently plan on heading out of town on Christmas. Not looking forward to a six hour trip with zero audio. I might use Slacker on my smartphone. Oh the joy of listening to music on a small single speaker. Ah flashback to the 70's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he he.

Although I haven't received the update yet, dealer is waiting for the "special cable" to come in; I encountered a new problem.

Ā 

All of the sudden, my MFT bluetooth refuses to stay on. Keeps turning off when I turn it on.

Ā 

Shutting off the vehicle and back turning it back on doesn't work.

Did a master reset which didn't work

Pull the fuse and now the BT stays on but

- 911 Assist doesn't work now

- my tricks to getting my SE w580i phone, iphone 4 and iPad to be connected simultaneously doesn't work as well. It will only allow one BT device to be connected.

- my iPad won't pair at all now.

Ā 

The only thing different from the day before was running over a one of two ladders flying off a pickup truck on Deerfoot (Major highway going through Calgary). Fortunately, I wasn't close enough for the ladder to go through the windshield but not far enough to total avoid the ladders and causing a major car pileup. Maybe the BT antenna or chip got loose. Shrug.

I gotta say, I am really, really enjoying my MKX! There are 2 things that might be able to be ammended in the next Snyc update and both are the same:

I find driving in the winter, I am changing the settings on my heated seat and steering wheel a few times while driving. As it is right now, you MUST change those settings by using the touch screen. I find this dangerous as you have to first place your finger near the location, and then make sure you actually pressed the right button and then confirm that it accepted your tactile push.

My solution or suggestion? Add a command to turn on or off the heated wheel to the sync vocabulary as well as commands to turn on the seat heater as well as one for turning it down. This is a safety concern for me and hopefully a mod that would be easily incorporated into the next round of Sync updates.

Edited by richy

curlysir

Same here for me. Waiting on a return call from the service manager to see if they have been able to get a successful upgrade completed. I have the black screen of death like several other people. Currently plan on heading out of town on Christmas. Not looking forward to a six hour trip with zero audio. I might use Slacker on my smartphone. Oh the joy of listening to music on a small single speaker. Ah flashback to the 70's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he he.

Ā 

The service department keeps telling me they will be ready early next week. They have successfully done at least 3 if they are giving me the straight poop. If they don't schedule the upgrade attempt on Tuesday I am going to be an unhappy camper. I don't know exactly what or who to start calling but I will begin escalating the pressure next week to at least an attempt to upgrade it correctly.

Ā 

Have you tried turning on the radio with the steering wheel, that is the only way I can get mine to work and to turn it off I have to lock and unlock the doors, the radio will then go off when the lights go off. At least in the 70's the radio would go off when you cut the switch and you could turn on the defroster. My climate control is stuck on auto and only control I have is with the steering wheel. Man this is getting old real quick.

Ā 

EDIT: Just had a good conversation with the Service Manager (He actually called Me) about the upgrade. They will attempt to fix mine Monday or Tuesday of next week. He believes they have the procedure down now to where it can be completed in about an hour. The biggest problem was getting a successful download of the update, he said it was a 3 GB file, that is a big file for downloading over the internet and from personal experience that can be problematic. When they first tried I guess they were trying to load the file on to my system via internet. With the file now being local they only need to connect with Ford to confirm what options to load according to VIN number. Hope he is right, I do feel better after the conversation and hope he is correct. I also found out that the guy that does their upgrade doesn't actually work directly for the dealer but does this type work for several dealers in the Dallas/Fort Worth area on what appears to be a contract basis. I may have to get in this business, I know I could do as good a job as they have been doing and I have a new laptop and know what a USB cable is :rant:

Edited by curlysir

My solution or suggestion? Add a command to turn on or off the heated wheel to the sync vocabulary as well as commands to turn on the seat heater as well as one for turning it down. This is a safety concern for me and hopefully a mod that would be easily incorporated into the next round of Sync updates.

Funny you should mention this. Just now I posted here. Your suggestion seems exactly what SYNCĀ® AppLinkā„¢ is designed for. These are the kinds of solutions we should be able to be working on now. Only, they haven't provided the SDK for us.

I got my 2011 Edge back from the dealer today after three weeks. My APIM had to be replaced as well as the software update that everyone seems to need. What I've noticed since:

The 911 emergency assist is N/A. I drove it immediately back to the dealer and the mechanic said it's a software glitch (Yet again) and that I could leave it now or bring it back. I said I'd bring it back since I've only driven my car for three weeks before all this happened. Too early to tell about interior light but am betting colors will be off like others.

iPhone paired immediately, but first two calls that came in went to the phone speaker and not the car.

This seemed to adjust itself.

Will write down anything else as it comes up. I'll probably take the car back midweek next week. sigh.

When it works it's a great car. So much for cutting edge technology.

curlysir

My audio will not even work with the steering wheel controls. The system will reboot 5 times and then stop. I have climate controls thru the steering wheel controls and the mechanical buttons on the center consol. There is no floor button, so the heat comes thru the panel or the defroster. I am glad that the weather has not been too cold yet. Which dealer are you using? I am using Don Davis Ford in Arlington.

curlysir

My audio will not even work with the steering wheel controls. The system will reboot 5 times and then stop. I have climate controls thru the steering wheel controls and the mechanical buttons on the center consol. There is no floor button, so the heat comes thru the panel or the defroster. I am glad that the weather has not been too cold yet. Which dealer are you using? I am using Don Davis Ford in Arlington.

Ā 

Ā 

My air flow is either through the floor or dash registers, no defroster. Amazing how different cars get messed up different ways.

Edited by curlysir

Day #2

Ā 

IPHONE4 - Contacts sync, calls work as advertised, and Pandora....ohhhhh Pandora....wow, it works EXCELLENT! No more popping sounds post upgrade!!

Ā 

Further updates to come as needed...For all of you who are is discouraged as I was....hang in there! Once your dealer is actually able to download the needed update from Ford and MFT gets updated you will be fine!!!

Ā 

Day 3, 4, and 5

Ā 

Ā 

I really do enjoy driving this vehicle!

I just got back from a trip to my Dealer. Totally unrelated, but while there I asked the Service Manager about their experience with the update. He asked about what issues I was having. I have been one of the lucky ones and have very few issues and none recently, (sound is me knocking on wood). He said the update has fixed issues for many and created other or new issues for some. His recommendation was NOT to get the update unless I was having serious issues. He felt it best to wait for an update to the update. I know many of you HAVE had serious issues and I suppose for those, doing the update makes sense. Curious if anyone else has had a similar recommendation from their dealer. I was going to wait for a while anyway since my issues are few. Guess I will be waiting longer now.

Only wanted to add that he said it MAY be fine or it MAY create problems I did not have previously.

Edited by bpattie