2011 Edge/MKX My Touch and Sync Problems

akirby

I have not received the update, but my sales rep called yesterday and mentioned the update. I am waiting because I can live with the glitches currently and don't want to gamble on getting some new, worse issues. I'll probably get this update installed in a month unless a newer update is released before then.

-steve

Got my car back last week and it works! It actually works! Actually, I take that back. Everything but the usb port works. I can stream bluetooth audio. I can plug in my ipod via av/in. Navigation is working. Sync is working faster and better than ever. Some features that I didn't even know weren't working (the tag feature) are back on track. The only thing I can't figure out is how to watch video. I plug in my iphone and try to watch youtube videos via the av/in and can't seem to get it to work..even in park. Anyone know anything about that? Thanks!

Got my car back last week and it works! It actually works! Actually, I take that back. Everything but the usb port works. I can stream bluetooth audio. I can plug in my ipod via av/in. Navigation is working. Sync is working faster and better than ever. Some features that I didn't even know weren't working (the tag feature) are back on track. The only thing I can't figure out is how to watch video. I plug in my iphone and try to watch youtube videos via the av/in and can't seem to get it to work..even in park. Anyone know anything about that? Thanks!

Ā 

That's fantastic news. Regarding video, have you tried it with you parking brake engaged? I haven't checked the Edge manual, however the parking brake needs to be engaged on my Infiniti if you want to watch video. It might be the same on the Edge.

It looks like app link will be coming soon!

Voice control of Pandora and more! Blackberry & androids will be able to do this via BT audio while iPhone will need to be tethered to USB

Looks like I'll be needing a pro clip mount...

Ā 

Read this post

http://fordsyncforum.com/index.php?/topic/1436-ford-sync-applink-now-available-as-a-free-download/

Ford Sync product manager will discuss dec 23rd in a live chat

http://www.thefordstory.com/our-articles/cars/fiesta/live-chat-with-julius-marchwicki-ford-syncĀ®-product-manager/

Edited by wilsons66604
  • Like 1

Add my story to the list:

Ā 

2011 Ford Edge Limited (about 8 weeks old)

Ā 

Right after delivery:

1. Could not connect iPod Classic (20 GB, color) via USB, only AUX.
  2. Backup camera would "roll" occasionally (like the old TV's that lost vertical sync)
  3. Phone (LG LX165) paired OK, but couldn't do text messaging via Bluetooth
  4. White screen once a week
  5. Rebooted (doing "system maintanence") three times
  6. After last reboot, black screen, no SYNC functions.
  7. SYNC finally died - would go into a "reboot loop" and then hang.
  8. No song titles or Album info for CD's
  9. WiFi will only add hotspots that broadcast their IDs. Once I add a hotspot, there's nothing much to do with it.

Ā 

I took it into the dealer last Thursday, they kept if until this Tuesday, claiming "this was the first time for them dealing with this system".

Finally, they determined the APIM was bad and replaced it. While it was in the shop, I also told them to update the system to

SYNC GEN 2, like the syncmyride.com site was telling me to do. They did that as well and I picked it up Tuesday night.

Ā 

Now:

1. 911 assist is non available
  2. SYNC Services (TDI, vehicle reports, etc) are gone.
  3. Still no titles or album info on the CD's
  4. Still no iPod via USB
  5. Still no text messaging support
  6. Have not had the backup camera roll yet
  7. No change on WiFi
  8. SYNC sometimes doesn't execute a command, e.g. "Radio ON", and nothing happens. It doesn't tell me to repeat, it just does nothing.
  9. Just once - the SYNC button on the steering wheel was unresponsive.

Ā 

So I'm dealing with the most serious stuff first, e.g. the 911 assist and the SYNC Services. Ford Customer Care

is "investigating" and has promised me a call back in 24 to 48 hours. The dealer says they loaded all the software

that Ford told them to load, but obviously not. The syncmyride site says that I have SYNC GEN2, but no other applications

or packages.

Ā 

Very frustrating, especially as I paid the first payment and I'm getting ready to send the second.

Ā 

- Joe

It looks like app link will be coming soon!

Voice control of Pandora and more! Blackberry & androids will be able to do this via BT audio while iPhone will need to be tethered to USB

Looks like I'll be needing a pro clip mount...

Ā 

Read this post

http://fordsyncforum.com/index.php?/topic/1436-ford-sync-applink-now-available-as-a-free-download/

Ford Sync product manager will discuss dec 23rd in a live chat

http://www.thefordstory.com/our-articles/cars/fiesta/live-chat-with-julius-marchwicki-ford-syncĀ®-product-manager/

Ā 

That's awesome. The Sync boys have been very busy! I'm just f'ng pissed off that Pandora is not available in Canada. First we're shut out of 90% of sync functions and this sounds like it'll be a waste for Canadians again. What bullshit.

hello everybody,

At first I would like to thank you all for this wonderful forum, I've been visiting this forum since the first time I took a look at the new ford edge 2011..

I knew from the first moments I was checking the car that this car is gonna be mine oneday,, before that I spent like two months looking for the perfect crossover for me, with good features, good look from the outside and of course a good price. Therefore, I started investigating about the ford edge 2011 :shades:

I visited a local dealer here ( ooh BTW I'm from Saudi Arabia) so many times, I checked every single detail in this wonderful "bride" ! ;) after that I found out about what's been going on on the "my ford touch system" after the release of it like 3 or 4 months back from now here in this forum.. :o

Now, I don't think that anything would stop me from buying this car !! cuz I already fell in love with "her" :wub:

but, what I really want is just to know whether these problems exist in the edges here in Saudi or NO

They started selling the ford edge and the MKX like five weeks ago here in Saudi, and they say that NObody has reported anything in the system or elsewhere in the car..

The manager of service told me that these problems that have been reported here in this forum could be related to the edges in Canada or the US NOT the ones outside,, (he mentioned differences in the "satellite" or something like that)

So please help me here specially that if I don't buy the edge now (I mean before the end of this year) I would miss the offer which is three years of FREE service !

thank you so much for reading this, and for responding ^_* :D

That's awesome. The Sync boys have been very busy! I'm just f'ng pissed off that Pandora is not available in Canada. First we're shut out of 90% of sync functions and this sounds like it'll be a waste for Canadians again. What bullshit.

Ā 

Couldn't agree with you more. It is ironic that the new Edge is built in Canada and costs almost $10k more than same US model that has even more added features. We have Heritage Canada, Industry Canada and CRTC (my all time favourite) to thank for creating such an open market for us Canadians to freely choose what we can read, listen and watch or even drive. <smirk>

Couldn't agree with you more. It is ironic that the new Edge is built in Canada and costs almost $10k more than same US model that has even more added features. We have Heritage Canada, Industry Canada and CRTC (my all time favourite) to thank for creating such an open market for us Canadians to freely choose what we can read, listen and watch or even drive. <smirk>

Ā 

Well there's certainly no shortage of vehicles that you can find built in Canada and sold for much less in the States (the Acura MDX is one). But I'm not sure the MKX/Edge is one. When I bought my loaded MKX 3 months ago with Ford Employee pricing and various other discounts, the cost was less than what it could have been purchased for in the U.S. No doubt that changed with later incentives but I was pretty impressed that Ford Canada didn't gouge me at the time. As to why Canadians aren't worthy of receiving any Sync services (other than 911) and no Sirius TravelLink services and likely no future neat additions either, Ford Motor Company has never bothered to officially explain.

Ā 

As for having certain government sponsored institutions dedicated to preserving a little bit of Canadian culture, well give it time. It probably won't be long before we are politically and socially indistinguishable from Americans and our vehicles will cost the same and no one will have to have those nasty Daytime Running Lights or French warning labels. Sigh.

Ā 

Anyway, still no Touch/Sync update available in my part of Canada. My dealer and the only other Ford dealer in town are still searching for that elusive USB cable. That's OK, by the time they find one it just might be safe to install it.

Day 3, 4, and 5

Ā 

ISSUES TO REPORT: NONE

HAPPINESS FACTOR: EXTREMELY

Ā 

I really do enjoy driving this vehicle!

Ā 

This is my final report! Since the software upgrade everything has been working - the only issue is the color selection with the ambient lighting which I have not used since testing. Other wise....

Ā 

ISSUES: NONE

Ā 

If you are experiencing major issues with your MFT/Snyc, you need this upgrade!

Ā 

The main screen night light issue=solved. Popping with Bluetooth audio=solved. System freezing=solved. Rear camera scrolling=solved....and that's about all for me.

Ā 

Snow testing coming up tomorrow! Stay tuned!

This is my final report! Since the software upgrade everything has been working - the only issue is the color selection with the ambient lighting which I have not used since testing. Other wise....

Ā 

ISSUES: NONE

Ā 

If you are experiencing major issues with your MFT/Snyc, you need this upgrade!

Ā 

The main screen night light issue=solved. Popping with Bluetooth audio=solved. System freezing=solved. Rear camera scrolling=solved....and that's about all for me.

Ā 

Snow testing coming up tomorrow! Stay tuned!

Ā 

My only issue is the night light which I really don't care about. I can't be bothered to make a special trip just to address that.

Ā 

Make sure you put the AWD display on when you're driving in the snow..it's fascinating to watch!

My only issue is the night light which I really don't care about. I can't be bothered to make a special trip just to address that.

Ā 

Make sure you put the AWD display on when you're driving in the snow..it's fascinating to watch!

Ā 

Ā 

Sadly, I did not opt for the AWD option...It does not snow enough in St. Louis anymore to justify the cost...but I will keep the FWD'ers updated...

Ā 

Two inches of snow so far, the slushy wet snowball making snow. I haven't noticed any slippage trying to navigate up a hill to my home. 3 more inches of snow on the way, will report back later.

Ā 

Have a safe Holiday gang! No wrecked Edges!

I gotta say, I am really, really enjoying my MKX! There are 2 things that might be able to be ammended in the next Snyc update and both are the same:

I find driving in the winter, I am changing the settings on my heated seat and steering wheel a few times while driving. As it is right now, you MUST change those settings by using the touch screen. I find this dangerous as you have to first place your finger near the location, and then make sure you actually pressed the right button and then confirm that it accepted your tactile push.

My solution or suggestion? Add a command to turn on or off the heated wheel to the sync vocabulary as well as commands to turn on the seat heater as well as one for turning it down. This is a safety concern for me and hopefully a mod that would be easily incorporated into the next round of Sync updates.

Ā 

I agree about the seat heater control. Ford made it unnecessarily difficult to make what should be a simple setting change. In my previous vehicle is was a button push that didn't require me to take my eyes off the road. I feel that a focus on the voice commands would help to increase driver safety.

Figure that all of you with the MKX or Edge would like to have a copy of this. Its the TSB for the myford / mylincoln sync system. The special USB cable they talk about is just a simple mini usb cable. According to ford corp this cable should have been mailed out 2 weeks ago to all dealers, but any tech that has taken the sync training class was issued one when they took the class. The software update is available on the ford tech service website. Don't let them BS you. My dealer tried to BS me and I ended up going to another dealer.

tsb10-24-09.pdf

I dropped off my 2011 Edge for service this morning and I got a late afternoon call that their "sync guy" hasn't been able to get a download from Ford's website. Sound familiar? I was also asked to leave my iPhone with them for testing with Ford and I told them no way. My cell phone is key to my business, and providing unfettered access to my phone isn't going to happen. Here's a thought, how about Ford buy an iPhone and maybe even the top ten cell phones, and test compatibility on their dime? Has anyone else been asked to leave their phone with the dealer for testing? Hopefully the sync guy is able to update the system tomorrow. What's up with these download problems the techs are having anyway?

Ā 

[December 30, 2010]

Picked up my Edge last night and sat in the dealer parking lot for 30 minutes running through the features. The touch screen response is delayed. I could actually see the screen slowly changing between panels. Some other issues, while not safety related, are indicative of quality control problems:

1. The ambient lighting blue and green colors are reversed. Please, how could this be missed?

2. The default background picture is that of the Lincoln logo, which can't be deleted. However, the sync boot up screen displays a Ford logo.

3. The touch screen is very slow, often non-responsive requiring multiple touches to activate a function. Before, I performed a touch-and-pause, but now it sometimes takes two or three touches.

4. The four quadrant colors have changed slightly, the red is burgundy, the gold is more green-gold, and the blue is a deep blue. They no longer match the coloring on the dash screens.

Ā 

I walked back into the service department and told the service representative that I consider their fix only a workaround, not a fix; and to make note of that in my file. Ford was informed of the problem and time clock started when I called to report the problem the first time, on December 24th and that I expect to drive a vehicle with all of the features that I purchased. I understand that the problem wasn't caused by the dealership, but they need to pressure Ford for a fix.

Ā 

I was called back today by a service manager and informed that the tech probably loaded the incorrect update and that I needed to return my car. He said that Fo

Ā 

[December 31, 2010] I discovered this morning that the remote starter had stopped working. The normal fob button combination only causes the horn to sound. I also lost heater temperature control. Suck.

Ā 

I really want to see the MyFord Touch system work, but it's disappointing to feel like a beta tester on a $40K product.

Ā 

[January 06, 2011]

The remote starter worked again on the 1st, but not on the 2nd, then it worked again. It's kind of iffy. I just got the car back after two more days in service and I was told that Ford had them reapply an update. I ran through a quick check in the dealer parking lot and the default background picture is now the Ford logo again, but the main screen colors still don't match those of the dash screen. I was told that Ford changed the colors, but I asked why not on the dash screen too? They don't know why. I also discovered that the ambient lighting blue-green reversal issue has been fixed, but now I cannot adjust the computer voice volume. And when I try to adjust the voice volume the computer gets stuck in a loop constantly emitting a test tone until I turn off the vehicle. I am able to reproduce this problem every time. Another thing that I didn't notice before, but did this time is that when the headlights are turned off (the dial is in the off position) that none of the interior lights work, including ambient lighting, button lighting, nothing. However, the LCD screens are lit up at full brightness, but I am unable to adjust that brightness. I was told that this is normal. Can anyone else confirm this as a standard setting with their vehicle?

Ā 

It appears that some problems were fixed, but new ones now exist. The service rep admits that this is new territory for them and asked me to drive the vehicle through the weekend to see if there are any more problems. I'll have to bring it back next week for them to try and fix the computer voice volume problem as it blares out loudly if I try to use voice command.

Ā 

[January 08, 2011]

After that last update all of the controls that I've used are working so far. A recent snow storm gave us a change to check handling and this AWD vehicle handles so much better in the snow than the old rear wheel drive sedan. The remote start is now working as well as the Navigation. Manually entering the destination is still painful compared to my iPhone app, but the voice command is where this entire system shines. The system voice volume is still broken and it scared the bejesus out of the better half when it first came on. I hope Ford & Microsoft continue to enhance the voice command, it really is the way of the future and it's "almost' like being captain of the Enterprise. Oops, that's my geek side slipping out. I took an hour long drive with the better half to another city for lunch today and fuel economy averaged 20.5 mpg on the highway running on cruise at 71 mph. I hope this improves as the vehicle gets some additional miles on it. The vehicle has 1500 miles now and it was about 17F outside (but sunny!) during the drive, so I'm hoping that warmer weather and some more miles will improve the advertised highway MPG. The better half has admitted to liking the big glass ceiling (that can be opened), the AWD, auto-rear door, and remote start. I still need to get Ford to fix the voice command volume control. I'll have the better half and myself run the vehicle for another week and report back.

Ā 

[January 22, 2011]

After running the latest update, the MyFord Touch is working better. There are still problems that I expect Ford to fix, but it is better. First, the voice command volume adjustment is still not working, so the MyFord Touch voice is at full volume. The voice command is what I intend to use most often and I have been training myself on this aspect of controlling the system. Primarily because the main screen touch control doesn't work with gloves on, and it's winter in Michigan. Something Ford should have figured out during testing. Also, my main screen quadrant colors don't match those on the dash LCD screens. They clearly are those of the Lincoln main screen. I checked a Lincoln screen at the dealer. The dealer says that Ford changed the colors, so then why not the colors on the dash LCD screens? I still get intermittent issues when switching between the four main quadrants, mainly delays (lag) or unresponsiveness to screen touch requests, but have yet to nail down what causes the problem. Last week the radio would not shut off, even after turning off and locking the vehicle. It just stayed on even after I walked away from the vehicle for a few minutes and then walked back to check. I had to restart the vehicle and stop it again and the problem went away. The MyFord Touch system still has bugs, but fewer than before the last update. Despite the improvements, I feel that Ford needs to fix this system or take my vehicle back. I would not have purchased this vehicle if the problems that I experienced had developed during my test drives.

Edited by netizenX

I dropped off my 2011 Edge for service this morning and I got a late afternoon call that their "sync guy" hasn't been able to get a download from Ford's website. Sound familiar? I was also asked to leave my iPhone with them for testing with Ford and I told them no way. My cell phone is key to my business, and providing unfettered access to my phone isn't going to happen. Here's a thought, how about Ford buy an iPhone and maybe even the top ten cell phones, and test compatibility on their dime? Has anyone else been asked to leave their phone with the dealer for testing? Hopefully the sync guy is able to update the system tomorrow. What's up with these download problems the techs are having anyway?

Borrow your iPhone?!?! What the...?

After reading the TSB, it's clear that the tech needs to be some what tech savy. I may request that I assist with the update.

• Like 1

Borrow your iPhone?!?! What the...?

After reading the TSB, it's clear that the tech needs to be some what tech savy. I may request that I assist with the update.

Dont stop with assisting them. Give them a bill when your done. Maybe hold a training class on USB cords and a crash course on "finding better excuses". I dont know who to blame, our failing school systems or the service managers or just piss poor attitudes in general. I hear a lot of bad things happening (from this site) and too many excuses from service depts. I just refuse to accept that the mechanics and Ford training is that DUMB. Does everything need to be color coded for our workforce? Take the red clip and plug it into the green thing.. Now hit the purple button and then call the customer and tell them it will take another day. Now work on a billable ticket. Now fire up the 300 baud modem and start the download by hitting the black button.

Ā 

Sorry, I just feel like the Indian on the horse watching littering while a tear runs down my face. (Those that remember that commercial will understand). My parents are in their 60s and are more computer technical than Ford techs (sorry, mechanics). I feel NO mercy for the mechanics AT ALL. There are NO EXCUSES for them, period, especially since nobody in that department is over 50 nowadays.

Ā 

My Andy Roony moment is over now. By the way, I have no issues with my car, nor any service issues. I am just amazed that so many people see problems at the dealer side of the equation. Ford really needs to either train more or force their dealers to hire smarter people that can read the minds of the builders and engineers.

Ā 

Everyone have a great new year and stay safe on those roads.

Things shouldn't have to always be idiot proofed. There should be less idiots.

Ā 

I would think that every dealership has a guy/gal who maintains their website these days. I would further think that person(s) would be able to assist the technology challenged staff that may exist at your particular dealership with these types of upgrades, if nothing more than to walk them through the first couple to acclimate them to the process.

Things shouldn't have to always be idiot proofed. There should be less idiots.

Ā 

Ā 

Hell its not even about being an idiot. Even an idiot can follow directions. What kills me about the whole thing is lying to customers. I have an appt today with my local dealer so they can install a new door seal on my 2011 edge. While there I am going to take the time to talk to the GM of dealership and let him know why he has lost me as a customer. The rest of you with problems I suggest you do the same thing.

Ā 

While these issues won't keep me from buying another ford they will keep me from buying at the dealer I originally purchased from. The sales department was pretty good but you only end up dealing with the sales department for a few days. If the service department sucks let the GM know it sucks and move on.

Ā 

Ā 

The dealers make the real money from service and used car sales.

I took mine 2011 Edge in today because the sync web site said I had an update pending. The site says I have BT4T-14D545-BA but BT4T-14D544-BD is the version I should update to. I got a call after dropping it off telling me that I didn't need an update because I have the latest version. I questioned this and asked if I could talk with the tech. I went in the shop and they ran the update software for me to see. To my surprise, it returned with a different version than the Sync Status checker does. Pretty hard to argue with the tech when there is no version indication on the screen of the MFT and it clearly said the version was BT4T-14D544-BD on their computer screen connected to my Edge.

Ā 

I checked again when I got home and it still says I have an old version and need the update. Seems there may be an issue with one of the two since they don't match. My MFT issues are relatively minor compared to others so I didn't put up a stink.

Ā 

Anyone else have this happen or have issues with the sync status checker?